Status
Not open for further replies.

How to play your GameCube games from SD or USB using DIOS-MIOS (Lite)

Clarification:
DML ONLY works from SD Card/SDHC Card, nothing else, no USB. There won't be a USB version someday.
So Yeah, this "Clarification" is incorrect, crediar was able to do it :D

What you'll need:
  • IF YOU WANT TO PLAY FROM SD
  • The Latest DIOS-MIOS (Lite) package from here (older versions here).
  • DML WAD Creator (for older versions)
  • IF YOU WANT TO PLAY FROM USB
  • FOR DML and DIOS-MIOS
  • GameCube ISO Compress, fstfix, DiscEX or GCReEX (your choice, read below first and decide what you want to use)
  • A WAD Manager (for example WAD Manager 1.7)
  • A SD Card or a USB Device (D'OH!)
  • Gamecube Controller and Memory Card
How to:
  1. If you have downloaded the newer version go to step 6, if you picked the older ones follow this.
  2. Extract the DML package in a folder with the same name as the package (for example DMLr13 for DMLr13.zip). If there is just a iosmodule.elf of the latest DML available then copy it into a new DML folder and rename it to DML.elf.
  3. If you already have a RVL-mios-v10.wad, copy it into the DML folder. Then the creator don't need to download the file.
  4. Extract the DML WAD Creator into the DML folder. Then run the "create_wad.bat" and type "DML" to create the DML wad, if you don't have the RVL-mios-v10.wad it will be downloaded.
  5. If the DML WAD Creator asks you which version you want to build type it in like '13' for DMLr13.
  6. Now let's convert some gamecube games! If you downloaded the new DML versions or DIOS-MIOS just start reading here.
  7. You'll need the gamecube games in iso or gcm format.
  8. If you want to use DiscEX and downloaded the older DML versions, the DiscEX files needs to be in the same folder as the DML WAD creator. Just open the WAD Creator, type "C" to enter the convert menu, drag and drop the game into it and say if you want to compress it or not. If you use the newer DML versions or DIOS-MIOS, open up a command prompt and enter "DiscEX -c gamename.iso" if you want compression, replace "gamename" with the name of your iso file. If you dont want compression just drag and drop the iso file into the DiscEX.exe. Mostly compression will work fine, some games need to stay uncompressed, see here.
  9. You can also use Gamecube ISO Compressor for the job, easiest way is there to just drag and drop your ISO file into the Compressor exe file. You can also just double click the exe file to see which options you can also use to compress the ISO files, they are more modes in it.
  10. If you have downloaded the new DML versions, you can also use GCReEx, there you can use "GCReEx.exe -x game.iso", this will create no new ISO file but a folder which contains the extracted files, this way saves most space on the sd card.
  11. There is also the possiblity to use fstfix instead to compress the games, use it like "fstfix game.iso" or "fstfix game.iso t" and drag and drop the resulting new iso in DiscEX. DiscEX will may stop at a certain percentage to copy the game, it will may also say the game is underdumped/overdumped. Both things come because the image haven't got the orignal size anymore, so you can ignore these messages.
  12. After using one of the above ways to convert your games, copy the newly created folder of the tool to sd:/games if you want to play from SD and to usb:/games if you want to play from USB.
On your Wii:
  1. Install the DML/DIOS-MIOS WAD with a WAD Manager, this will overwrite the current MIOS/cMIOS. Retail gamecube discs will still work since DMLr19. If you had a cMIOS installed before to play disc backups it wont be possible anymore until you re-install the cMIOS which will overwrite DML.
  2. You can play the games either with DIOS-MIOS Booter, NeoGamma, postLoader4, Wiiflow, USB Loader GX or Configurable USB Loader. Make sure you have a disc inserted, otherwise your Wii will simply reset if you try to play a game.
  3. The easiest one is DIOS-MIOS Booter, it works with all DML and DIOS-MIOS versions, just start it, select the game you want, set new options with the B button if you want, and launch the game.
  4. To boot games using Wiiflow switch the coverflow mode to the gameube coverflow mode by pressing the icon down-right near the home icon a few times until you see the games. You can also download covers for them in the settings, it's the gear icon down-left. Wiiflow also supports all DML and DIOS-MIOS versions with all options.
  5. To boot games using postLoader just press home to enter the menu, select "Switch to Game mode". In game mode just press up on the wiimote to enter the DML menu or press home, select "Game options" and then "Show DML menu". Then select the game you want to play.
  6. For USB Loader GX you just need to go to the display icon and select display gamecube games too, then you can set options in the menu and play them.
  7. In Configurable USB Loader they are just displayed together with the other wii games, there you can also set the options and launch them.
  8. The other ways described now are currently not optimized for the new DML versions, doesnt work with DIOS-MIOS and my not work properly.
  9. To boot games using NeoGamma go down to "Load Games from: " and select "Load GC Games via DML". Then go up and press A to search games. Select the game you want to play and press A to start it. NeoGamma doesnt have options to set for DML because its made for old DML versions.
  10. If you want to remove DML/DIOS-MIOS again either reinstall a cMIOS or the RVL-mios-v10.wad. If DML doesn't work for you make sure you have a clean BC, to get it run the "create_wad.bat" in the DML wad creator package again and type "BC". Then just install the RVL-BC-v6.wad on your wii and try it again.
Recommendations:
  • Format your SD Card to FAT16/FAT32 with 64KB cluster size to increase game speed
  • If you want to use DIOS-MIOS format it to FAT32 with 32KB cluster size, also make the FAT32 the first one, primary and active
  • If you want to use DML r21 I suggest the debug version since the regular version got small problems. Delete the DML.elf, rename the DMLdebug.elf to DML.elf and then create a new wad with it.
  • If you have a problem you can try to rename/delete the "saves" folder on your sd card to everything you want, that can may fix it.
  • Crediar created a small FAQ here that might help you as well with some general questions.
If you want to know game compatility check out the compatility list here:
http://wiki.gbatemp....patibility_List
http://crediar.no-ip.com/gc/
Don't forget to add the games you play to the list if they are missing ;)

That's it! If you have questions just ask here. Have fun playing your gamecube games from SD! :)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Help Please. I'm trying to lauch my GC iso using Dios Mios Booster. Everytime I try to launch any game it keeps giving me an error "Fatal Error AppLoader Size is Zero" and just stays on the screen. What does this mean? I've followed the instructions, I installed the latest Dios-Mios Wad, i put the iso into Gamecube ISO Compressor, and I tried launching the game but nothing it working? I even tried Configurable USB loader but it keeps saying my SD card is too small. Which makes no sense since I"m using a USB Loader instead.
If by "the latest DIOS-MIOS WAD" you mean version 2.2, then you need to change the boot method in the settings to "new 2.2+" and not "old" or "new 2.2-" (If I remember the setting names right). Also, make sure you're using the latest version of DM(L) Booter since previous versions might not even have that option (the latest r30).

As far as using CFG loader, if you have the latest "release" version (r70) it was released before USB loading for GC games was even possible so you'd have to upgrade to one of the newest beta releases (You can get those over at the official thread in this forum in the backup loaders section) It's probably trying to copy from USB to SD before starting the game because that used to be the only way to do it from USB at all.

Bowser-jr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, well, I installed DIOS MIOS 2.2 instead of LIte. I able to get my Pokemon Colosseum GC ISO to work but every time I try to launch Mega Man Anniversary Collection, my Wii ends up crashing. Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Dartinho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Has anyone been able to play Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness and Pokémon Colosseum using DM or DML? I've tried EVERYTHING and nothing worked, those two games simply don't work despite everything I do. When I tried playing the games using DML and couldn't, I came here and posted this:

Is anyone else besides me having problems with Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness and Pokémon Colosseum? I'm using DML v1.5 and NTSC game isos. The problem is that it just stays stuck at GCLoader screen. "Loading apploader..." and that's it, stays there forever. Which is strange, because compatibility list says both games runs just fine. Already tried to download other game isos from different places but the problem persists. Also tried to run both games without compressing them, but the problem stays the same.

Am I the only one having those problems? Can somebody please help me? I have no idea what to do.
if OTHER games work just fine, I don't know what to tell you but the "stuck on the loading apploader message" thing seems like what anyone who isn't using a compatible SD card gets (in that case, none of your GC games would work.). In that case I would say try going back to DML r59mod.

Thanks for answering. My other games are running just fine. I've already played more than 20 games and the only ones that I can't play are Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness and Pokémon Colosseum. And I've played all other games on the same SD card. Already tried to format it, too.

the only time iv seen that is when i tryed loading from usb with the sd wad or vice versa...

Yeah, but as I said above, I'm using SD card and all other games run perfectly. :S

After that, no one could help me and I just gave up. I've uninstalled DML and now I'm using DIOS MIOS 2.2 and USB hard drive to play my games. I've been able to play dozens of games without any errors, but Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness and Pokémon Colosseum still don't work. Now with DM2.2 the error I get with both games is "fatal error apploader size is zero". Yes, I know this is a known error that could be caused by a no-good .iso, the lack of a disc in the wii drive disc and other things. But that's not my case. I already have a disc in my wii drive disc, and I've already downloaded five or six different isos of those games, from different places including NTSC and PAL versions, and none of them worked. I've already tried shrunk isos, non-shrunk isos. I've tried every solution I've found on GBAtemp to this problem ("fatal error apploader size is zero"), and none of them worked. These two games are simple IMPOSSIBLE to play. And ONLY them, because I'm playing thousand of other GC games using the same methods (DM2.2 and USB hard drive) with no problem at all. Oh, and I've already tried other loaders as well (I'm currently using CFG Loader v70r45).

This is my last try. Do you guys have any idea what I can do to make these games work? I really wanted to play them.

Bowser-jr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just said I got Pokemon Colosseum using DM v2.2. What I CAN'T get working is Mega Man Anniversary Collection. It keeps crashing in my Wii/Shutting it down.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
bump please help. I still can't get Mega Man Anniversary Collection to work no matter witch ISO I try to use.
There's another guy asking a similar question here
http://gbatemp.net/topic/329342-dios-mios-lite/page__view__findpost__p__4357080
and then continues here with a few posts in the next couple pages
http://gbatemp.net/topic/329342-dios-mios-lite/page__view__findpost__p__4358007
maybe you could compare with his situation and see if it helps. Feel free to ask any further questions on that thread (that way you can both see eachother's answers.)

Bowser-jr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They don't seem to have a solution here. It's either it works or it doesn't but there is no F***** solution. I'm really annoyed here. Why is it that other can get it to work but I can't? What the hell am I doing wrong?!!

RJ Sly 95

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok I've created a new partition on both my HD(500 gb maxtor - 1tb seagate) fat32 - 32kb and set active

I've converted the games with discex and put them into x/games

When I launch them from dios mios booter I get black screen

Cfg usb loader says they are 0.00 gb and when I launch them I get a very slow loading.Now I'm trying to wait till the end of the loading UPDATE: and the wii freezes...

funkymonkey515

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I've created a new partition on both my HD(500 gb maxtor - 1tb seagate) fat32 - 32kb and set active

Cfg usb loader says they are 0.00 gb and when I launch them I get a very slow loading.Now I'm trying to wait till the end of the loading UPDATE: and the wii freezes...

You have to put the games in the first partion and have that active. You can't put them in anything after that.

Reactions: 1 person

RJ Sly 95

Trophies
XP
Country

You have to put the games in the first partion and have that active. You can't put them in anything after that.
Done and now it works! Thank you! :D

Spinning Bird Ki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Posted this elsewhere but not sure it was the right place. Does anyone have a solution the Skies of Arcadia's blue screen upon booting up? I've tried all of the different video settings.

I'm running
c204.gif
USB Loader GX r1201 mod9 with Dios Mios 2.2, PAL iso on a PAL Wii. The same thing happens in Dios Mios Booter.
If I've left out any necessary information don't hesitate to ask for it (but tell me how to find out the details if possible). Hope you can help.

Dartinho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Has anyone been able to play PAL version of Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes on DiosMios2.2 using a NTSC Wii? NTSC Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes works fine, but PAL version doesn't work when I try to force NTSC. I'm using CFG Loader v70r45, but also tried loading with DIOS-MIOS Booter and the same happens.

If I don't force NTSC video, the game works, but in black and white obviously. If I try to force NTSC or NTSC 480p, my Wii resets just after the Dios Mios splash screen.

Any ideas?

Bowser-jr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Question, i have Dios Mios v2.2 install on my Wii. Now, I'm able to play GC ISO from my USB Hard Drive but Now I'm unable to play any of my retail GC games. Does Dios Mios prevent you from play retail GC games or is it something else?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Question, i have Dios Mios v2.2 install on my Wii. Now, I'm able to play GC ISO from my USB Hard Drive but Now I'm unable to play any of my retail GC games. Does Dios Mios prevent you from play retail GC games or is it something else?
It SHOULDN'T prevent you from running retail games. Are you running them from the disk channel or from a loader?
Make sure you're hard drive is plugged in (or a flash drive or something) because I understand that it tries to mount the hard drive even before checking to see if it's actually supposed to use it or not so I've heard that with nothing in USB it won't do retail games.

Bowser-jr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to run from the disk channel. And I have to have a USB drive plugged in? I'll give that a try and see if that work.

Okay, I tried that and it didn't work. I had a USB drive plugged in but my retail GC disc would still not load. I am to believe that DIOS MIOS works for GC iso off a SD/USB and refuses to play retail GC games.

Allura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been trying to figure out how install and use this for days. When I click to download I don't know which to download. And how to install it all. It's getting very frustrating. I have some old GC games that are wrecked that I want to play backups of.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I've been trying to figure out how install and use this for days. When I click to download I don't know which to download. And how to install it all. It's getting very frustrating. I have some old GC games that are wrecked that I want to play backups of.
Just a little clarification about the downloads (some of them need to be updated.)
- The DiscEX and the GCReEx links and the "latest DML" under the "if you want to play off SD" section don't work BUT they can all now be found on the same page if you click the "latest DIOS-MIOS" link under the "if you want to play off USB" section.
- On that page, the first two links (the "real NAND" ones) are the versions of DM and DML you need to install for this guide . . . DIOSMIOS if you want to play off USB and DIOSMIOSLite if you want to play off of SD. You install them with a WAD Manager.

statueofmike

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this has been addressed already.

I can't access the google code page for DIOS-MIOS. http://code.google.c...source-project/ works fine, but http://code.google.com/p/diosmios/ gives me a 403 Error page. It says "Your client does not have permission to get URL/p/diosmios/ from this server. That's all we know"

I tried logging in with a couple google accounts, got the same result.

What's going on?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I can't access the google code page for DIOS-MIOS. http://code.google.c...source-project/ works fine, but http://code.google.com/p/diosmios/ gives me a 403 Error page. It says "Your client does not have permission to get URL/p/diosmios/ from this server. That's all we know"
What's going on?
That's being resolved. Unfortunately, there's nothing to do but wait.

Reactions: 1 person

statueofmike

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What's going on?
That's being resolved. Unfortunately, there's nothing to do but wait.

Looks like it's back now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Our weather is crazy here in Ohio, was 90 last week, now its in the 60's.