Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I recently decided to pull my Wii out of storage to play GameCube games since Nintendont on Wii U will randomly not recognize the Gamecube controller adapter and I was tried of fighting with it.

I kept it together with it's SD card and hard drive, and even found my original gamecube game discs just in case there would have been a problem. It was actually really interesting how it all just worked - even the date and time was still correct as if the Wii was counting down the minutes waiting to be of use again. I'm enjoying playing reliably again, but it occurs to me that I have a very very old version of DIOS MIOS. So old I don't even have multi disc support. It appears that the latest version of DIOS MIOS is 2.11.

Crediar's page is down. A google code page for it exists here: https://code.google.com/p/diosmios/ , but the download is missing. Searching here all the treads about it are too old to just reply to. I did find it on a page that appears to be in another language and it's certainly not an officially hosted page so I can't tell at a glance if it's a good file or not. Now, I realize that Crediar said in release notes:

"Please do not rehost this file to prevent outdated or bugged versions to stay online once there is a new version."

Which explains why there aren't any official mirrors, but since DIOS MIOS doesn't appear to be in active the danger here is that people end up more likely to find bad files. As such I was hoping someone knew the CRC check value for the good DIOSMIOS_2.11.wad file.

For reference, here's the CRC-32 values for the file I was able to find as checked using this tool:

Reading file... 100% (1612800 of 1612800 bytes)
Computing CRC-32... 100% (1612800 of 1612800 bytes)

Decimal: 4240236425
Hexadecimal: FCBCDF89

If someone with a working file could just verify if those are correct I'd appreciate it. I realize that most people today would suggest I instead use Nintendont, but this system already uses DIOS MIOS and I just want to be able to update it safely. Obviously I would dump my NAND before doing anything, but I want to be as safe as possible with unknown sources.

Solution
DIOSMIOS_2.11.wad
CRC32: FCBCDF89
MD5: c65cf269f0f876b99e288a83c353a8f3
SHA256: A176224B91E0ED8E09AE1CC53F2F7239E81421DAED90BE0F600E84BE3B727109

DIOSMIOSLite_2.11.wad
CRC32: 6DE59622
MD5: 2f962f2a5cce33be6ebf1baa5255d90d
SHA256: 12C9D5012832B227AE200DDA73AC1FC3F71980A5E55EADE12383A7AA143D92E3

But there's virtually no reason to use DIOSMIOS anymore. If you're worried about the two conflicting somehow, you don't even need to uninstall DIOSMIOS to use Nintendont. But suit yourself.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point would it be worth creating a mirror to archive them?
"to prevent outdated or bugged versions to stay online once there is a new version" certainly does not apply anymore.

I've recovered these original files with a little digging:
Code:
DIOSMIOS_2.11.rar, original upload from the code.google.com page is still up: http://uploaded.net/file/p5wtvspi
DIOSMIOSLite_2.11.rar
DiscEX-v0.9-cred.rar
GCReEx-v0.3-cred.rar
I didn't bother looking for the NEEK DI flavors, those don't seem particularly useful these days.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DIOSMIOS_2.11.wad

DIOSMIOSLite_2.11.wad

But there's virtually no reason to use DIOSMIOS anymore. If you're worried about the two conflicting somehow, you don't even need to uninstall DIOSMIOS to use Nintendont. But suit yourself.

Solution

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
Don't use DIOS MIOS use Nintendont instead

I absolutely HATE people who push things on people who explicitly say they don't want to. It just makes me want to use it even less. Please STOP trolling topics that have specific questions by pushing something else onto them. This isn't a new problem either. All over this forum for the past few years I've had specific threads get derailed by this exact kind of response and I am beyond tired of it. It's frankly none of your business what I decide to use.

As I clearly said:

I realize that most people today would suggest I instead use Nintendont, but this system already uses DIOS MIOS and I just want to be able to update it safely.

But to better explain why I don't want to use Nintendont on my Wii? I'm tired of dealing with it on my Wii U and don't want to start dealing with it on my Wii. I wouldn't have pulled my Wii out of storage if NIntendont worked properly to begin with. Besides, DIOS MIOS has never given me a problem. There's no good reason to use a program that has a history of not working properly over a program that works perfectly.

And no, don't try to say it works better. It doesn't. As you can see here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/132r17Ce7QkjVnoURSz5ejqHjCKtwc2BDEqy86-nBg-A/edit#gid=0

Each program has it's pros and cons, but for my particular use case Nintendont is inferior to DIOS MIOS in that it can't allow loading retail discs from the disc channel and can't handle multi disc game swapping whereas DIOS MIOS is inferior to Nintendont in that it can't handle audio streaming and apparently it was going to be supported in 2.13, but that never got released. For the games I own though that's not a problem.

In any case, again, I am going to use DIOS MIOS and there's nothing you can do about it. If I ever decide to use Nintendont again it will be because I will have decideded to do so given my own use case, not because you said so.

At this point would it be worth creating a mirror to archive them?
"to prevent outdated or bugged versions to stay online once there is a new version" certainly does not apply anymore.

I've recovered these original files with a little digging:
Code:
DIOSMIOS_2.11.rar, original upload from the code.google.com page is still up: http://uploaded.net/file/p5wtvspi
DIOSMIOSLite_2.11.rar
DiscEX-v0.9-cred.rar
GCReEx-v0.3-cred.rar
I didn't bother looking for the NEEK DI flavors, those don't seem particularly useful these days.

It's my opinion that there SHOULD be a mirror for such projects. Especially open source projects like this that's no longer in development. Having a safe mirror would let people find what they are looking for without trouble and who knows what part of a program can be useful to modders in the future. Sure, the creator did indicate that he didn't want a mirror, but Nintendo doesn't want a mirror for their content either and we all understand the importance of maintaining proper archives. Any program that ceases development SHOULD be archived somewhere.

The source I found was here: https://wiidatabase.de/downloads/hacks/dios-mios/

I compared the CRC values for both files and they seem to match so that's a good sign.
DIOSMIOS_2.11.wad

DIOSMIOSLite_2.11.wad

Thanks, that matches my files as well, so what I have appears to be safe.

No, there's no reason to use Nintendont anymore. I was using it on the Wii U and it absolutely sucks. Sure, games load OK, but it randomly decides if it wants to let me use a controller or not. On the contrary, DIOS MIOS just works so there's no reason to use anything else. I'd sooner go back to playing on my Gamecube than use Nintendont again. Heck, I'd even buy a WODE before using Nintendont again.

Last edited by Elliander,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I absolutely HATE people who push things on people who explicitly say they don't want to. It just makes me want to use it even less. Please STOP trolling topics that have specific questions by pushing something else onto them. This isn't a new problem either. All over this forum for the past few years I've had specific threads get derailed by this exact kind of response and I am beyond tired of it. It's frankly none of your business what I decide to use.

As I clearly said:

But to better explain why I don't want to use Nintendont on my Wii? I'm tired of dealing with it on my Wii U and don't want to start dealing with it on my Wii. I wouldn't have pulled my Wii out of storage if NIntendont worked properly to begin with. Besides, DIOS MIOS has never given me a problem. There's no good reason to use a program that has a history of not working properly over a program that works perfectly.

And no, don't try to say it works better. It doesn't. As you can see here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/132r17Ce7QkjVnoURSz5ejqHjCKtwc2BDEqy86-nBg-A/edit#gid=0

Each program has it's pros and cons, but for my particular use case Nintendont is inferior to DIOS MIOS in that it can't allow loading retail discs from the disc channel and can't handle multi disc game swapping whereas DIOS MIOS is inferior to Nintendont in that it can't handle audio streaming and apparently it was going to be supported in 2.13, but that never got released. For the games I own though that's not a problem.

In any case, again, I am going to use DIOS MIOS and there's nothing you can do about it. If I ever decide to use Nintendont again it will be because I will have decideded to do so given my own use case, not because you said so.

It's my opinion that there SHOULD be a mirror for such projects. Especially open source projects like this that's no longer in development. Having a safe mirror would let people find what they are looking for without trouble and who knows what part of a program can be useful to modders in the future. Sure, the creator did indicate that he didn't want a mirror, but Nintendo doesn't want a mirror for their content either and we all understand the importance of maintaining proper archives. Any program that ceases development SHOULD be archived somewhere.

The source I found was here: https://wiidatabase.de/downloads/hacks/dios-mios/

I compared the CRC values for both files and they seem to match so that's a good sign.

Thanks, that matches my files as well, so what I have appears to be safe.

No, there's no reason to use Nintendont anymore. I was using it on the Wii U and it absolutely sucks. Sure, games load OK, but it randomly decides if it wants to let me use a controller or not. On the contrary, DIOS MIOS just works so there's no reason to use anything else. I'd sooner go back to playing on my Gamecube than use Nintendont again. Heck, I'd even buy a WODE before using Nintendont again.
people tell you to use nintendont because it has better compatibility, games have better framerates and nintendont has audio streaming which mios lacks so you have alot of missing features there.

https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/DIOS_MIOS_Lite_Compatibility_List

as you can see the compatibility is much lower than nintendont.

Also nintendont framerate is by far superiro on any game that isnt fps locked on the gamecube

even on wii with gc ports if your trouble with nintendont is the gc adapter since you are using a wii you can use the gc ports since that is all mios supports so the problem is gone? people arent being mean or anything just giving the better option imo.

Also the list you putted on google spreadsheet is totally outdated nintendont does have bba and many other stuff that is incorrectly listed there, since its comparing nintendont 422, nintendont is up to 498.

For me the compatibility of dios mios and missing features like audio streaming for usb iso just kill it for me.Also nintendont does support disc swapping automatically specialy if your using an hdd with isos, name the first disc game.iso and the second one disc2.iso and nintendont will swap it automatically when the game asks.

The only thing nintendont cant do compared to diosmios is running games from disc channel but its very easy to get around that and you said you used an hdd so that shouldn't even matter to you anyway since your using usb.

Last edited by pedro702,
Reactions: Shadow#1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person