• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Far Right Presidential Candidate Wins in Argentina

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Far right libertarian candidate Milei has won the Argentinian presidential election.

Famous for vowing to slash spending (wielding a chainsaw at rallies), dissolve the central bank and balance budgets - this student of the Austrian school of economics is an unknown quantity and political outsider in Argentina - and will soon hold its highest office.

But that's what Argentinians have shown they want - in a hotly contested runoff election between Milei and his peronist rival (whose faction has held the presidency for 16 of the last 20 years), Milei came out squarely on top. Economic woes are at the center of most voter's concerns as the once thriving nation now has a 40% poverty rate and has experienced crushing inflation this year.

Trump, Bolsonaro and other far right political figures have voiced their support and congratulations. Left leaning Latin American leaders have voiced worries about the direction of Argentina moving forward.

Elon Musk, for his part, xeeted his support and confidence that Argentina will have a bright future under Milei.

Financial markets are bracing for market volatility and people will be watching to see if Milei makes good on his promise to dollarize the economy.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...tarian-javier-milei-wins-after-rival-concedes

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be great to see Argentina get their economy in order.

I don't know if this guy is going to succeed, but he probably won't make things worse.
I hope you're right

The economy there is totally in shreds and ruins

But he is also talking about a lot of economic shock in a short time (ending the central bank, dollarization, privatization of state services) - I just hope it doesn't end up like post Soviet Russia

That much economic shock in a short period of time can really make things worse. Remains to be seen what happens next

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
I hope you're right

The economy there is totally in shreds and ruins

But he is also talking about a lot of economic shock in a short time (ending the central bank, dollarization, privatization of state services) - I just hope it doesn't end up like post Soviet Russia

That much economic shock in a short period of time can really make things worse. Remains to be seen what happens next
The dude is a fucking psychopath who cloned his dead dog 4 times because he says he was his son with whom he lived 2000 years ago in the ancient Rome. We're fucking doomed.
The current party doesn't have my sympathy at all, but this piece of shit also defends those who were imprisoned for human rights violations during our last military dictatorship in the 70s: kidnapping, disappearence, killing, r*pe, stealing babies, etc. We're in for 4 horrible years both economically and socially. He also believes the State shouldn't meddle in literally anything, not even guaranteeing healthcare for the poor and the old.
No central bank + dollarization is a recipe for disaster, specially in such a big country.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It would be great to see Argentina get their economy in order.

I don't know if this guy is going to succeed, but he probably won't make things worse.
I wouldn’t hold your breath. I have no idea how this dude is going to turn out but the CIA will never allow a South/Central American country to have a stable economy, government, or country (this is half a joke)

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
I wouldn’t hold your breath. I have no idea how this dude is going to turn out but the CIA will never allow a South/Central American country to have a stable economy, government, or country (this is half a joke)

Considering this piece of shit and his VP both supported the military dictatorship helped by the CIA in the 70s, I'd say the current CIA is pretty happy.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Considering this piece of shit and his VP both supported the military dictatorship helped by the CIA in the 70s, I'd say the current CIA is pretty happy.
Well shit, bet the CIA are chuffed to bits to hear this

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Elon Musk, for his part, xeeted his support and confidence that Argentina will have a bright future under Milei.
We can expect the economy to explode like a SpaceX rocket, then.

Fascism can always make a bad situation worse, at least for the average person. Billionaires I'm sure are salivating at the thought of another population to exploit for cheap/slave labor.

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Well shit, bet the CIA are chuffed to bits to hear this
Consider this: he just got congratulated by the far far right Spanish party (Vox), far far right Jair Bolsonaro from Brazil, Donald Trump and Elon Musk, among others.
We're fucked.
Post automatically merged:

We can expect the economy to explode like a SpaceX rocket, then.

Fascism can always make a bad situation worse, at least for the average person. Billionaires I'm sure are salivating at the thought of another population to exploit for cheap/slave labor.

Funny you say both of those things. Musk supported Milei. Did you know Argentina has one of the biggest lithium sources in the world? A simple math will tell you a cheap regional economy + cheap labour + lots of resources = good business for scum like Musk.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Consider this: he just got congratulated by the far far right Spanish party (Vox), far far right Jair Bolsonaro from Brazil, Donald Trump and Elon Musk, among others.
We're fucked.
I hate this game

Reactions: Xzi

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Well...
"Milei spoke in favor of a legal organ trade..."
"Milei is a cosplayer, and has a superhero persona called "General AnCap"."
"Milei supports former Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro and former United States president Donald Trump"

Argentina, this is why you can't have nice things.
Trust me, that's nothing in comparison to other shit he said.
This motherfucker says the State should stop existing because it's like a pedophile locked up in a kindergarten with naked, chained and lubed little kids. I kid you not, he literally said that.

Reactions: Xzi

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I read, he doesn't even have a majority in congress.
It's even worse than that, his party has 1 seat between 2 houses with over 300 seats available

His party is just as fringe as the libertarian party in the US

His win would be like a 3rd party us candidate becoming president

But just as if that occurred here, there are factions there that are also conservative - just not his party

In this sense you can think of him basically as an independent. Thing is, conservatives in the Argentine congress will definitely want to pass some of their agenda and so they will team up

I'm sure there will be a coalition formed

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
It's even worse than that, his party has 1 seat between 2 houses with over 300 seats available

His party is just as fringe as the libertarian party in the US

His win would be like a 3rd party us candidate becoming president

But just as if that occurred here, there are factions there that are also conservative - just not his party

In this sense you can think of him basically as an independent. Thing is, conservatives in the Argentine congress will definitely want to pass some of their agenda and so they will team up

I'm sure there will be a coalition formed
That's it a 100%. They'll still form a coalition. There's no majority now because the second biggest one broke up during the election (JxC). Now it's all in the air what will happen.
Oh btw, the number you're seeing is probably from before election. He got like 30 or 40 seats with the last one. Check here: https://chequeado.com/el-explicador/elecciones-2023-como-quedara-conformado-el-nuevo-congreso/

Reactions: x65943

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's it a 100%. They'll still form a coalition. There's no majority now because the second biggest one broke up during the election (JxC). Now it's all in the air what will happen.
Oh btw, the number you're seeing is probably from before election. He got like 30 or 40 seats with the last one. Check here: https://chequeado.com/el-explicador/elecciones-2023-como-quedara-conformado-el-nuevo-congreso/
That's the La Libertad Avanza coalition right? I think the Partido Libertario itself has less seats (but obviously they are all working together and PL is part of La Libertad Avanza)

But as you allude to it's hard to find up to date info in English

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly was taken out of the discussion by the mention of "xeeted."
Musk advised calling tweets "x's"

But let's be honest xeet/xeets/xeeted is far more entertaining

Reactions: tabzer and Xzi

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
That's the La Libertad Avanza coalition right? I think the Partido Libertario itself has less seats (but obviously they are all working together and PL is part of La Libertad Avanza)

But as you allude to it's hard to find up to date info in English
La Libertad Avanza is Milei's party, the one who won. They're the only libertarian party (I'm not sure what is the Partido Libertario you're referring to).
They got together for the ballotage with the Pro coalition (one part of Juntos por el Cambio or JxC), so now the second minority is divided between those from JxC who stood with Milei and those from JxC who went for Massa or "neutral".
It's a shit show at this point. The only thing we know is nothing good will come from this. Milei's favourite government was Menem's. A man who literally blew up a city (Rio Tercero explosion, if you want to google it) to keep his shady shit safe, and privatized everything (which destroyed the country's services plus state owned train services which kept the country communicated both for people and for logistics) just to get money to create a 1:1 exchange rate between the Peso and the USD. After that money evaporated we got the 2001 crisis where banks literally stole people's money. That was made thanks to Menem and Cavallo (both heroes for Milei).

We're in for a really bad time.

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
La Libertad Avanza is Milei's party, the one who won. They're the only libertarian party (I'm not sure what is the Partido Libertario you're referring to).
They got together for the ballotage with the Pro coalition (one part of Juntos por el Cambio or JxC), so now the second minority is divided between those from JxC who stood with Milei and those from JxC who went for Massa or "neutral".
It's a shit show at this point. The only thing we know is nothing good will come from this. Milei's favourite government was Menem's. A man who literally blew up a city (Rio Tercero explosion, if you want to google it) to keep his shady shit safe, and privatized everything (which destroyed the country's services plus state owned train services which kept the country communicated both for people and for logistics) just to get money to create a 1:1 exchange rate between the Peso and the USD. After that money evaporated we got the 2001 crisis where banks literally stole people's money. That was made thanks to Menem and Cavallo (both heroes for Milei).

We're in for a really bad time.
But La Libertad Avanza is not a party in and of itself but a conglomerate (technically political coalition) of 13 parties in a similar way to JxC

Partido Libertario is just one of the 13 parties

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Libertad_Avanza

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian_Party_(Argentina)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto