Hacking How satisfied are you with your iedge and do you recommend it?

famicon_don

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have done quite a bit of research on ds flash carts and I think the iedge card might be the perfect ds flash cart for me. I don't care about all the fancy features of the most popular cards. I just want to be able to play ds games on my dsi. I am also looking for a card with decent support, very good rom compatibility and good build quality (having a card that will last is very important to me). I almost went with an R4i Gold but then after reading the GBAtemp review I saw that the R4i Gold card gets stuck when you try to remove it and the iedge card has no build issues as far as I can tell. So I think I have made up my mind and I will buy this card. How happy are you guys with your iedge card and does the card have any flaws that I am not aware of.

P.S. I am mainly getting a ds to play the ds castlevania games; do they play well on the iedge card?

I

ishdeepsingh

famicon_don said:
I have done quite a bit of research on ds flash carts and I think the iedge card might be the perfect ds flash cart for me. I don't care about all the fancy features of the most popular cards. I just want to be able to play ds games on my dsi. I am also looking for a card with decent support, very good rom compatibility and good build quality (having a card that will last is very important to me). I almost went with an R4i Gold but then after reading the GBAtemp review I saw that the R4i Gold card gets stuck when you try to remove it and the iedge card has no build issues as far as I can tell. So I think I have made up my mind and I will buy this card. How happy are you guys with your iedge card and does the card have any flaws that I am not aware of.

P.S. I am mainly getting a ds to play the ds castlevania games; do they play well on the iedge card?
What kind of roms do you want to play? if its some classic gb color or nes you have emulaters. if its gba, get a dstwo. if its nds, then the rom compatibility should be good if this card gets updates alot (I dont own this card) Describe exactly what support you are seeking, because 'rom support' can mean many things.

QUOTE(DigitalDeviant @ Jul 4 2011, 10:29 PM) I am not familiar with the iedge. I don't think it is a top tier card. Iif you want a good and cheap card with great rom support and dsi compatibility I recommend the acecard. 2i.
+1 Acekart 2i is reliable and is known to be a trusted and useful card with dsi compatibility, and lots of other support

Also don't get an r4dsi or any dsi card with 'r4' in it. R4 is dead, and the r4i's and all are all clones. R4i is not official and isn't as trusted as the 'official carts' (supercard, acekard, etc)

serenade.63

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, ive not heard anything bad about this card, but thats because ive never heard anyone say anything about it, not to say i dont know OF the card though. If you want something that lasts and isnt flashy like the scdstwo or the ievo then just get an acekard, the akaio dev team is very very active and they are damn good

anton123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iEdge is a good cheap flash cart, but it's got issues as well. It is solid in terms of NDS compatibility, but it has some noticeable slowdowns when playing some games, like Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. It also takes really long to get updates. Right now, we're all waiting for the 1.4.3 bootstrap update if it ever comes.

If you need your DSi up-to-date for the DSi shop, then this isn't a good option. If you don't care about that, then it isn't a bad cart to use.

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
anton123 said:
when playing some games, like Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. It also takes really long to get updates. Right now, we're all waiting for the 1.4.3 bootstrap update if it ever comes.

Change your microSD for a better one. class 6 and up will be faster than a normal Rom.

Also updating takes a while but its always done asap

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
You're the same guy who said you'd be buying a EZ Flash Vi... and you also posted a topic saying you are having issues with R4i Gold. I smell something suspicious going on here...
ph34r.gif

famicon_don

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is nothing suspicious going on
smile.gif
. I am just having trouble making up my mind on which flash cart to get. I was set on getting the ez-flash Vi but then at the last minute someone recommended that I look into either the iedge or r4i Gold because they are decent cards with solid build quality and that is really what I am looking for. One poster said the ez-flash Vi's build quality was not that great.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The IRL people I know who have it, hated it. I never asked why though. They got rid of it to get a different cart.

On a side note, 3/4 bought an AceKard 2i after getting rid of the iEdge, the other bought an R4i-King LL. Guess who was mad.
tongue.gif

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
...well, the EDGE team have had some dry spells, but i've had mine for almost 4 years now, and until last year, they've been relatively active and up to date with firmwares and fixes. i have both EDGE and iEDGE for my DSphat and DSiXL. too bad my iEDGE doesn't work on my 3DS, but some claim to have it working fine.

it's more of a midline cart. R4 variants are cheaper, but not quite as robust (they do have excellent support nowadays, unlike then). top of the line cards are pricey, but i think they're worth the investment.

4 years is definitely satisfying. my iEDGE does have a little kink, as it pulls off an Error screen on first boot, but goes away after resetting. and my EDGE have gone through at least 3 microSDs, but i think it's the microSD that had failure issues, not the flashcart. if you're into new releases a lot, get another cart. but if you don't mind waiting, the EDGE brand works like a charm. easy to use too.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
The iEDGE is a simple flashcart I only recommend if you are completely new to flashcarts. It has decent compatibility, and is user friendly. I don't recommend it if you have previous flashcart experience (even the R4 has soft reset, this doesn't, however, one less thing to learn for beginners).

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmm is have an iedge and a Edge aswell booth are build rock solid. The Edge is good for a DS Lite and lacks only a few high tier features. Since i only have a ds lite i still use my edge, i could also use acekard 2/ i, cyclo ds evo, ezflash5, M3 real, M3 Zero and some others but im happy with the features it has i think u use my edge around 3 years or more now.

In case for DSI the Iedge is still that same basic cart that also loose some features because the lack of a GBA slot.
If you want to play NDS files or some moonshell only its still a good cart.

The acekard 2i will give u still more features but are depending on AKAIO firmware. Build quality is more cheap and not as good as the iedge.

Supercard DS two should be normally the best choice in features and possibilitys. Team is very good and still supports its old flashcards. However the DS two drains the battery faster then other flashcards.

I would say go Acekard2i if u need to be cheap, go ds Two if u want all out of your DSI ( not sure what the DSI cyclo will add ), if u only want to play nds games and need a solid cart get a cheap iedge.

Lemski07

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Nathanaël said:
iEdge is a waste of time and money. And they'll update every 6 months or so.

Get an R4i Gold (r4ids.cn) or an Acekard 2i.

oh so using it for 3-5 years is a waste of money now..
unsure.gif

@tc

if your very patient its a great card because most of nds works ... (they usually update it a month after a huge batch of good games is realeased and does not work on it... but the releases now is... not much so...)

on homebrews-about average because some of the homebrews I like to play does not work.

but its really a very durable, stable flashcard a great card that could be used as backup if you like to buy other top tier flashcarts which have massive update
moogle.gif

if im gonna rate it its on 7.75/10

ive used edge and never switched to other cards since I got my first ds almost 3 years ago... but my first edge got robbed so I bought an iedge and still using it

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been using my Iedge for over a year now and have not had any problems with it. I use a 4 gig sandisk memory with it. It has always flashed perfectly for me on the first time. Also the bootstrap updates have always worked perfectly for me as well.
The only thing I don't like is the updates tend to come slowly. Otherwise I like it just as much as my Clyclods. I use Cyclo on my DSL and IEdge on my DSI_XL.

bitonio6

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
famicon_don said:

iEDGE, the flashcard, is a good made quality flascard, work good, etc...

iEDGE = EDGE The Team = very bad TEAM, lazy, dont care about their customers, etc...

So, the flascard is good, but not the team!

fortunately for Acekard, they have AKAIO & normmatt, otherwise, the Acekard 2i would be totaly useless since a long time!

To make move the EDGE team, people need to ask by email, again and again and again!

this is the only way to make them react!

dayjay

Trophies
XP
Country
I've had my IEDGE for nearly a year now and I haven't regretted it. It's pretty user friendly as there's no fiddling around with lots of files and the instructions are very clear. The main reason I got an IEDGE was because I read a review saying it had very good ROM compatability and it was the cheapest one available. As people have said, if all you wanna do is play DS games and you don't care about those super advanced features that programmers use, then the IEDGE is a good card. As for the updates it's not so bad if your just a little patient. As UniqueGeek said if you've had no experience with flashcarts before than it is a good cart

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly