R4 card not being recognised

OlafTheCat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi all,

I recenly bought a DS lite to play some pokemon games on, but the R4 card I ordered (gold) does not seem to be working, nor does the replacement (white) that the seller sent. The DS does not seem to recognise the cards, it just says "There is no DS Card inserted.". I have tried various different software packages but nothing has made any difference.

Are there any particular software packages you think might work, or is there something wrong with the hard or firmware? Thanks so much if anyone has any ideas.

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 10.31.10.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 10.31.11.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 10.35.34.jpeg

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Content on micro-SD usually is not important for the R4 to get detected.
Retail games working? If not SLOT-1 connector is dirty or damaged.

R4 often are less precisely manufactured. Sometimes they have contact issues on otherwise working consoles. You could try supporting the connection with paper behind the PCB. First push a little against the cart while turning on. Perhaps it gets detected while holding/pushing.

Try some other DS consoles as well.

Good luck!

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

OlafTheCat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Content on micro-SD usually is not important for the R4 to get detected.
Retail games working? If not SLOT-1 connector is dirty or damaged.

R4 often are less precisely manufactured. Sometimes they have contact issues on otherwise working consoles. You could try supporting the connection with paper behind the PCB. First push a little against the cart while turning on. Perhaps it gets detected while holding/pushing.

Try some other DS consoles as well.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply! My retail games are working, so I think SLOT-1 is fine. I have tried cleaning the cart, and also inserting paper and pressing the cart, with no different results so far.

[URLs removed]

I will try these but expect that the carts are just no good and will probably send them back tomorrow. Thank you for the tips!

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will try these but expect that the carts are just no good and will probably send them back tomorrow. Thank you for the tips!
You shouldn't need to return it. Since yours is a r4isdhc.com model, either the cracked R4i-SDHC kernel or any of the others that I posted will work for sure.

Reactions: anotherthing

OlafTheCat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi all,

Thanks again for your help! Just a little update in case it helps anyone else: it turned there was a hardware problem after all. One of the little metal pins on the inside of SLOT-1 was bent in such a way that a normal DS cartridge (with its plastic grooves/forks) would work fine, but not an R-4 card that doesn't have those grooves for the metal pins to slide into. In hindsight this was easily visible when looking into SLOT-1, so I suppose its worthwhile to inspect it before buying a secondhand DS.

After getting a different DS, SylverReZ's software indeed worked perfectly.

Thanks again!

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch