Hacking Homebrew ROM Hack Homebrew game Translation Project How can I translate a Nintendo DS rom as simply as possible? This is primarily about pure text changes!

Arksor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I want to translate the game Theresia from English into German. The game is also available in Japanese, but since I have a few English skills and the English version is official, I'll use that.
Well, at the beginning I thought it would be really easy. I'll just take the original text, put it in the translator, adjust the grammar a bit and be done, but nope.
I saw a video on YouTube where someone used a hex editor, but this turned out to be difficult because the German pronunciation is often longer or has more characters, so I overwrote the following hex code, which meant that the game wouldn't start anymore. Then I saw in the comments that you can just unpack the ROM and change the text file. I thought that was super easy until I opened the txt file and realized that (for me) there was only nonsense in the file.
Can someone help me? or am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

And why all this? Well, I think the game is really cool, especially because it runs on the Nintendo DS and as I already mentioned, I'm not exactly the best English speaker

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You need to first figure out how the game stores its text. If it's not in ASCII or Unicode, that'll take more knowledge than simply throwing tools at it (unless said tools already exist of course!)

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
This is a very vague question to be honest, nothing is simple, it's all logic, and as soon you understand said logic, it'll become more clear on what step you need to take to move on. As @N7Kopper said, you need to understand how the game stores and reads the text, encoding apart, you need to figure out how to overcome string max length if the translation is exceeding provided space.

Arksor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is a very vague question to be honest, nothing is simple, it's all logic, and as soon you understand said logic, it'll become more clear on what step you need to take to move on. As @N7Kopper said, you need to understand how the game stores and reads the text, encoding apart, you need to figure out how to overcome string max length if the translation is exceeding provided space.
OK, that makes sense, but how do I find out whether it is written in ASCII or Unicode? When I unpack the game data, there are, as I said, many text files in the folders, but what is in the text files is incomprehensible

Arksor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ohh gotcha. That's cool, honestly. I don't have much knowledge about translation, but I hope you can do it.
Yes, luckily it is available in English, because it is of course much easier for a German with basic school English to translate a game from English to German than from Japanese to German.
I hope someone can help me with the technical part of how to decode it

Micolash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Games files are usually proprietary unless they use a well known engine (ex: Unreal Engine, Unity .. etc)

Without any programming knowledge, it will be tough.

But if you're willing to learn. I would start with the following:

• First you need to unpack the nds rom to individual files.
  • Then you need to identify where the script/texts files are located.
  • Search the internet to see if there are existing tools to decrypt/unpack/pack these files.
Here are some resources to get you started:
nds unpacker - https://github.com/Luca1991/NDSFactory
QuickBMS forum is a good place to start for scripts and/or help with specific files. https://aluigi.altervista.org/quickbms.htm

Reactions: Arksor

Arksor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Games files are usually proprietary unless they use a well known engine (ex: Unreal Engine, Unity .. etc)

Without any programming knowledge, it will be tough.

But if you're willing to learn. I would start with the following:

• First you need to unpack the nds rom to individual files.
  • Then you need to identify where the script/texts files are located.
  • Search the internet to see if there are existing tools to decrypt/unpack/pack these files.
Here are some resources to get you started:
nds unpacker - https://github.com/Luca1991/NDSFactory
QuickBMS forum is a good place to start for scripts and/or help with specific files. https://aluigi.altervista.org/quickbms.htm
So I unpacked the files with the tool, there is a folder narmens scripts when I open a file I only see incomprehensible

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-23 010834.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-23 010834.png
    97 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot 2024-06-23 010859.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-23 010859.png
    115 KB · Views: 3

Micolash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So I unpacked the files with the tool, there is a folder narmens scripts when I open a file I only see incomprehensible
seems to be encrypted, so there is where your journey to programing begins or ends.

You can try asking for help to decrypt/encrypt the files, but this will require some reverse-engineering knowledge.

wish you good luck.

Last edited by Micolash,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @NinStar, 11:56am
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I didn't sleep
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    @NinStar No scat things, please. Also that weird inflation thing. Or whatever K3Nv2 told me about.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    inflation is economist's fetish
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Probably some guy in his 40s who is overweight that enjoy this.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    ...99,99% wasn't me
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    hai hai, lemme braincheck if I did all that, nopes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, I did that, yes, I am a filthy casual because I don't pay for my games.
    Piracy is rad.
    +1
    Straight from the 90's.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I don't download illegally, i just borrow them for educational purposes
    Then delete when you already learnt from them. Right?
    Right???
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The term "educational purposes" has become redundant, and is often used to get around illegal repercussions.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    in a perfect society everything is made for educational purposes
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I'm as clean and holy as a saint, I shit you not :rofl2:
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @NinStar, Pr0n exists on YouTube there of.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    yep, it's educational, for those that preach it
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, They do this to get around YouTube's TOS, and often is abused for that reasoning.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    if it is educational and enjoyable then everyone wins
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    If people don't get sued or suffer from losses they'll never learn
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: If people don't get sued or suffer from losses they'll never learn