Modding Text Translations in DS Game? (Crystal Drive)

Slade_Wind

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh... are there any settings I should be tweaking to have better luck? It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. For starters, I'm searching for the main character's name in the game files by opening multiple bins and narcs. I'm having 0 luck. His last name is Echizen (越前). Even in one of the attached pictures you can see his name in the black bar area. It says 越前

No matter what I search in hex editor and madedit WITH the Japanese encoding already set. I can't find ANYTHING snapping to those Jap letters. I wanna see if I can at least ATTEMPT to mod text to English in the menu. For example, changing the main character's name to Ryoma or his full name if there's room. I don't want to break anything obviously...

Attachments

• Screenshot (49).png
    Screenshot (49).png
    441.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot (50).png
    Screenshot (50).png
    3.8 MB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot (51).png
    Screenshot (51).png
    3.4 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot (52).png
    Screenshot (52).png
    2.9 MB · Views: 15

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ugh... are there any settings I should be tweaking to have better luck? It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. For starters, I'm searching for the main character's name in the game files by opening multiple bins and narcs. I'm having 0 luck. His last name is Echizen (越前). Even in one of the attached pictures you can see his name in the black bar area. It says 越前

No matter what I search in hex editor and madedit WITH the Japanese encoding already set. I can't find ANYTHING snapping to those Jap letters. I wanna see if I can at least ATTEMPT to mod text to English in the menu. For example, changing the main character's name to Ryoma or his full name if there's room. I don't want to break anything obviously...
It's likely that it isn't using a standard character set, many games on older consoles used a custom character set only containing the bare necessities to save on ROM and RAM usage. It was the norm on at least GBA and earlier.

Slade_Wind

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's likely that it isn't using a standard character set, many games on older consoles used a custom character set only containing the bare necessities to save on ROM and RAM usage. It was the norm on at least GBA and earlier.

So must of what I want to tweak are just picture blimps and cloud stuff? If only I knew how the heck to open them properly

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's likely that it isn't using a standard character set
It's also possible that the text is compressed in the ROM and decompressed into memory when the game runs.

If only I knew how the heck to open them properly
If it was that easy, then someone else would probably have translated it by now. Developers do not generally make games with the expectation that someone will "open them" in the future.

Reactions: Slade_Wind

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto