Hacking Hexkyz: "Anatomy of a Wii U: hexFW"

Irastris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to notice that hexFW is in a usable state, but you need to build it yourself. As a note loadiine.ovh supports hexFW's browserhax based launching.
Source: https://github.com/hexkyz/hexFW
Did you do anything special when building? For me it always fails on this exact part:
Code:
make[1]: Entering directory `/c/Users/*****/Downloads/hexFW-master/launcher/browserhax'
powerpc-eabi-gcc -x assembler-with-cpp -nostartfiles -nostdlib  -o wiiuhaxx_loader.elf wiiuhaxx_loader.s
powerpc-eabi-gcc.exe: error: CreateProcess: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/Users/*****/Downloads/hexFW-master/launcher/browserhax'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I don't think it's anything wrong with my dev environment because I'm able to build every other bit of homebrew that's come out recently just fine.

Last edited by Irastris,

pietempgba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

so i just read the github readme so i guess it's meant to be customizable

Irastris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone give me some tips on compiling hexFW? It fails on this part for me:
rxubav.PNG

I'm assuming that means it couldn't find wiiuhaxx_loader.s, even though that file is definitely in the folder.
It's really annoying too, since I can compile every other iosuhax-based source code fine.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Keep in mind, you do have to reboot or at least re-logon if you change environment variables, confirm your changes took via 'echo %PATH%' on command line - but yes its basically looking for your posix base like that thread mentions. I was able to build it just fine right now using msys2 as the posix base added to the windows PATH, in my case I installed msys2 to h:\msys64 so its
Code:
h:\msys64\mingw32\bin;h:\msys64\usr\bin;
and only DEVKITPRO/DEVKITARM environment variable to compile this with 'make' directly from windows cmd.exe.

I did have to make one adjustment in: hexFW\launcher\browserhax\makefile I added a first line of:
Code:
PATH     :=   $(DEVKITPPC)/bin:$(PATH)
and initially I had the wrong fw.img in hexFW\firmware\img, apparently it wanted the one the other scripts rename to fw.img.full.bin. Other than that it was all pretty straight forward, though there were a couple warnings I found odd.

Dunno what else to say, I've had your problem before and fixing the PATH to include posix has fixed it.

Last edited by cory1492,

Irastris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to build it just fine right now using msys2 as the posix base
Okay so, very odd, I've been using Cygwin, so I tried installing msys2 and used it instead, and right away it got past that error perfectly fine.

Unfortunately, now it's failing on anpack.py. Ugg. (Yes, I did add the keys to the python file.)

Edit: Nevermind, fixed the error by replacing the anpack.py in hexFW with the anpack.py in dimok's iosuhax. Hopefully that doesn't break some stuff. :P

Reactions: KiiWii

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Edit: Nevermind, fixed the error by replacing the anpack.py in hexFW with the anpack.py in dimok's iosuhax. Hopefully that doesn't break some stuff. :P
Yeah I had the same fail with anpack, I just gave it the other fw.img.full.bin instead of fw.img and it was happy. Didn't add any keys though so maybe that was the issue :unsure: no idea if the resulting image it built is usable :lol:

kevandkkim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone successfully built this yet? I am working on compilation errors and am completely new to Python but i believe this has something to do with either the keys or the fw.img i used.

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "scripts/anpack.py", line 255, in <module>
    fw = ancast(open(input_fn, "r+b"))
  File "scripts/anpack.py", line 148, in __init__
    self.decrypt(file, 0x200)
  File "scripts/anpack.py", line 197, in decrypt
    key = ancast_key.decode('hex')
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'decode'
make: *** [patches/sections/0x08120000.bin] Error 1

Thanks and will update when i find a solution.

dojafoja

life elevated
Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone successfully built this yet? I am working on compilation errors and am completely new to Python but i believe this has something to do with either the keys or the fw.img i used.

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "scripts/anpack.py", line 255, in <module>
    fw = ancast(open(input_fn, "r+b"))
  File "scripts/anpack.py", line 148, in __init__
    self.decrypt(file, 0x200)
  File "scripts/anpack.py", line 197, in decrypt
    key = ancast_key.decode('hex')
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'decode'
make: *** [patches/sections/0x08120000.bin] Error 1

Thanks and will update when i find a solution.

An str in Python3 has NO decode method. This script was obviously written for Python 2.7. Either remove the decode() method and deal with any problems that arise from that OR run it with Python 2.7

Last edited by dojafoja,
Reactions: Deleted User

ScienceBETCH

GBATemp's probably not Official Tom-Zero™ Main
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
IM BACK AFTER A LONG TIME
but gonna be gone again lel
Btw if the blog is down he either gave up or he is doing his shit privately (or blogspot just went nuts)

kevandkkim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Figured out make with the help of some one. Installed the Hexfw. Didnt notice any difference yet :) cant wait to see what becomes of this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ