Hacking Help With a Few Basic Question Please :)

mrmanth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok one more question.

The DSi XL has only one DS card/game slot right?

Meaning I couldnt use the Supercard and Pokemon SS/HG simultaneously, correct?

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mrmanth said:
So I'm getting my DSiXL here in a few days and have already ordered a SupercardDSTwo w/micro sd memory. I probably should have asked before buying but whatver
biggrin.gif

1. Will the online function be affected by using the card?

2. I see several posts saying the functionality of the built in GBA/SNES emulator is iffy, though this was some time ago. Is it more stable now?

3. Will I need to ignore any firmware updates to be released?

4. This is my first flashcard. What I understand will happen is I format the card, insert it into the DSiXL, and (with media being on the micro sd card) I play music, videos, homebrew, games ect. Is this accurate?

5. Anything else I should know?

1. No.

2. They're pretty crap. If you can stomach it you can play some of the basics from each system, but you wouldn't want to use it as your main emulating source. Part of the problem is the speed, part of it is the screen resolution, part of it is that it just plain stinks.

3. Yes, ignore Nintendo updates until the cart receives an update (if necessary).

4. You need to download the software (http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/download.htm) and extract the package to your microSD first.

mrmanth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm. If the emulators are crap, can someone make me feel better (tell me why supercard is better) about buying this instead of the Acekard 2i?
biggrin.gif

aber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would agree that the DS/DSi in general should not be your primary source for retro gaming emulation. The included emulators aren't horrible (GBA feels a tad slow on many games, but fine on others. SNES is all about finding a comfortable screen resolution from a choice of 4...both are serviceable options for on the go emulation on the DS).

My favorite features of the DSTwo are the in-game menus which allow you to pull up maps (.bmp), guides (.txt), real-time saves, etc. Makes RPGs a much better experience IMO. The video player is also handy for playing vids/mp3s...no converting needed unlike moonshell. The compatibility is also nice. Rare a game needs a patch after release to get running, and the team behind DSTwo is also engaged in the community is also a plus.

mrmanth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well pokemon is my main reason for the DS
biggrin.gif
. But I do love retro emulation. Either way, I'm sure I will be pleased with the system/card.

Also, the quick save, does that work with DS games such as pokemon? Save quicksaving in front of a legendary and being able to quick load if you mess up/want diff stats?

btw I think im done with the questions
biggrin.gif

mrmanth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edited OP.

Ok one more question.

The DSi XL has only one DS card/game slot right?

Meaning I couldnt use the Supercard and Pokemon SS/HG simultaneously, correct?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Correct. If you want to trade things around you'll need two DS units.

However what you want to do may be accomplished other ways. There's ways to rip save data from actual game carts (doesn't work in a DSi/XL unfortinately) which you can then modify on a PC, so you can rip the save game from your real cart and put it on your flash cart.

As said though, you can't do this on a DSi/XL (it won't let you cart swap, which is needed for this).

mrmanth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Questions will not end...

What are some popular/useful homebrews? Most specifically music/video players, but open to anything useful/fun.

What are the best SNES/GBA Emulators if the ones that come with the card arnt that great?

Meanwhile I will scour the forums in search of these answers
biggrin.gif

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mrmanth said:

What are some popular/useful homebrews? Most specifically music/video players, but open to anything useful/fun.

What are the best SNES/GBA Emulators if the ones that come with the card arnt that great?

biggrin.gif

http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/

mrmanth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zizer said:
mrmanth said:

biggrin.gif

http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/

Nothing on that site answers either question.

aber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's right. With the Dsi/DSi XL there really aren't better options for either SNES or GBA emulation. For GBA, the DSLite and the EZ 3n1 card along with GBAExploder was perfect, but without the GBA slot, the DSi version are shit out of luck on that. The SNES emulators outside of the Supercard aren't nearly as good.

Out of all the emus, I enjoy nesDS (NES), NitroGrafx (TG16/PC Engine), ApprenticeMinus (Game Gear/Master System), and Lameboy (GB) the most. All run nearly flawlessly, and with the Game Gear and Gameboy games, the experience is even better because the original games for these were meant for on the go. I love being able to play the same games I used to play as a kid on my Game Gear and Gameboy on current hardware some 15-20 years later. Now if someone could just release an Atari Lynx emu for the DS or Supercrd, I'd be all set
yay.gif

As far as homebrew apps for music/video, it's really down to Moonshell and the included iPlayer, both have their pros and cons, but iPlayer doesn't require converting for movies, so it's a better option IMO. I also use OnlineJukebox...does a decent job streaming online radio, it's a bit buggy as well, but I use it around the house a little bit when the other devices are in use and unavailable.

mrmanth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, cool
smile.gif
. I'm just pretty anxious to get my XL Thursday and want to get this stuff figured out now as opposed to then.

Pokémon ftw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Hopefully your not like south of Tampa they got flooding