Homebrew Homebrew game [HELP] Convert DsHeretic from slot2 (.ds.gba) to slot1 (.nds)

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I apologize for the umpteenth bump of my thread, made only to make a small request to @elhobbs : "could you, if and when you want, make cheretic compatible with the (SD)camera-slot of the DSi making it possible to use the greater ram available? As you've already pointed out, not so much to get around missing textures, but instead to avoid certain slowdowns and, albeit rare, freezes and crashes."
Moreover this port would be so usable even by those who do not have a flashcart and would make it more popular and appreciated. Of course, if it doesn't require too much work on your part. :)

P.S. Alternatively, since you mentioned earlier that "It was working at some point", could you possibly identify what previous version it was working with?

Last edited by Nikokaro,
Reactions: Tarmfot

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize for the umpteenth bump of my thread, made only to make a small request to @elhobbs : "could you, if and when you want, make cquake compatible with the (SD)camera-slot of the DSi making it possible to use the greater ram available? As you've already pointed out, not so much to get around missing textures, but instead to avoid certain slowdowns and, albeit rare, freezes and crashes."
Moreover this port would be so usable even by those who do not have a flashcart and would make it more popular and appreciated. Of course, if it doesn't require too much work on your part. :)

P.S. Alternatively, since you mentioned earlier that "It was working at some point", could you possibly identify what previous version it was working with?
I made those comments about cheretic - I dont have any problems running cquake from the sd card on the dsi. I did provide a new build in the cquake thread.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I made those comments about cheretic - I dont have any problems running cquake from the sd card on the dsi. I did provide a new build in the cquake thread
I meant cheretic...My bad.:rofl2:

I corrected the error, but I think you understood anyway, since I posted in this thread. :)

Last edited by Nikokaro,

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did not find the actual issue. it appears to be some sort of alignment issue - or maybe the code changes just pushed the data corruption into a less important area ... anyway here is a build that is working for me. the only code changes I made were to add a few print statements so I could see where it was hanging.

Attachments

• cheretic.zip
    286.1 KB · Views: 42

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did not find the actual issue. it appears to be some sort of alignment issue - or maybe the code changes just pushed the data corruption into a less important area ... anyway here is a build that is working for me. the only code changes I made were to add a few print statements so I could see where it was hanging.
it still freezes after a bit

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
it still freezes after a bit
Unfortunately I confirm this. :sad:
I found the time to try this new build on my DSi XL (Memory Pit, TwilightMenu++) and this is (sadly) the result:

IMG_20220117_151400.jpg

I note that I can hear the music in the background but pressing the buttons I do not hear the corresponding sound effects. Otherwise there is only the black screen.

Last edited by Nikokaro,

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
-DSi version of cheretic-

Hey, DSi owners, I have great news for you!!! :)

@elhobbs , following your statement ("at some point it worked") I tried ALL the versions of cheretic you created last year, from the first to the last, which I had stored on my PC. And I actually found a version that works from SD-slot (DSi), a version that I had saved as "cleaned-code-cheretic", and that should be the second to last or third to last version you released. Is it still available on github? Anyway, just in case, I upload it here.

Guys, you still say I don't do anything for you!?!! :wink:

IMG_20220118_141259.jpg
IMG_20220118_141154.jpg

Attachments

• cheretic-for-DSi.7z
    251 KB · Views: 43
Last edited by Nikokaro,
Reactions: ariela and VatoLoco

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
A brief message to add something I had forgotten to mention. Also with the DSi version it is possible to play user wads via command line arguments (.argv file), but in my case it only works if launched directly from TwilightMenu++, while with HBmenu it does not work.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Surely someone can import the WAD files into one of the DOOM engine ports for the DS..?
Hi. 😉
I don't know if I understand your question correctly. Main Iwads cannot be put directly into the .NDS files for legal reasons (anyway they are easily found online e.g. on archive.org).
If you mean Pwads instead, on DS Doom, as well as with Doom, Doom2, TNT and Plutonia, you can already play user wads/megawads (the ones you find in the doomworld archive) either from flashcart or SD slot of a DSi.
Just edit a txt file by writing: "DSDoom.nds -file wad/ChexQuest.wad" where wad is the folder that contains the .wad files, and rename the txt as argv. Then launch it with hdmenu or TwilightMenu++. From the DS Doom menu you will have to choose the Iwad corresponding to the user wad launched (e.g. choose Doom for Chex Quest).
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-play-custom-wads-with-dsdoom.575814/

If you do not want to use .argv files, another old method is to merge pwad with the corresponding Iwad, using Slate or xWe (wad editors). You will have to backup the main iwad. though, because you will be modify it permanently.

While on flashcart you will only be able to use the older, simpler wads (due to lack of RAM) on SD slot of DSi even the more complex and sophisticated ones will work (assuming they are PrBoom compatible).
Using Flipnote as an exploit is fine, instead via Memory Pit crashes were occurring, reportedly solved with the latest version of TwilightMenu++.

If I misunderstood the question, please let me know. In any case, the answer will be useful to others as well. 😋

Last edited by Nikokaro,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*