HBO's The Last of Us TV show gets greenlit, production to start soon

t7crfPV.png

A few months ago back in March, The Hollywood Reporter broke the news that HBO would be creating a television series adaptation of The Last of Us. Information about the project since then has been minimal at best, but now the series has been officially greenlit, meaning progress is going smoothly and production will begin soon. HBO also re-confirmed the fact that Craig Mazin from Chernobyl and Naughty Dog's Neil Druckmann are working on the show as executive producers and writers, along with Carolyn Strauss, of Game of Thrones fame. There's still no information about when the show is set to be released, or who will be involved in the cast, currently, though once it does release, it'll be aired on HBO and will be available to stream on HBO Max.

:arrow: Source

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care who will be actor and actress in the movie or series for they make a lot of money. And they don't care about us. They need us to watch them so they can make a profits and be rich and what do we get ? Watch and that's about it. I really cannot care. I watch because I enjoyed myself and not the celebrities. They are just human being who wants to be wealthy and so rich and we are struggle with our job and little money to pay the bills. Unfair. Who cares about them. They don't know us and they don't care about us but themselves making so much money for acting. Whatever.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
View attachment 234819

if Ellen Page isn't cast for the lead I'll be disappointed!
I remember the game team had to change Ellie's face few weeks before launch because she looked too much like Ellen Page, while she didn't cast for the game. She didn't like that.
Would be fun to see her accepting the role now.

But you are right she's the perfect actress, and funny that she already share the first name. a little aged now, but nobody said she had to be young to be special/important in the story. except the fact Joel never wanted her to hold a gun, would be weird to refuse that to an adult, but they can adapt... like always with movies based on game

Last edited by Cyan,

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Castlevania?

I don't know that I'd call the adaptation good based on the first two seasons that I've seen. The first season sets things up nicely, but then we get a lot of dialogue and not a whole lot of action involving monsters from Castlevania 3 in Season 2. Dracula doesn't even transform into a monster or anything, and it's not like I want him to transform into that weird man-bird thing, either; they could have used that one demonic form with the bull horns from Dracula X, and not made Trevor such a rookie. Based on that adaptation, I'd be thinking that the Belmonts aren't anything noteworthy given that the intro in Castlevania 3 (and this is the Japanese one and not the US one) states that Trevor/Ralph didn't help until the people asked for it.

But, I just think a lot of video game adaptations just wouldn't work. Like, people have mentioned making a Metroid movie before, and maybe if it was about a research team trying to capture the Metroid as a sort of prequel to the first game that could focus on a cast of characters, then I'd see potential. But a movie adapting a woman all by herself taking on an entire planet?

At least in Alien/Aliens, you have a cast of characters with personalities that make them work. With a lot of video games that aren't RPGs, that dynamic doesn't exist, and even if something could be adapted, it would have to be something specific for a movie that could only last an hour-3 hours tops. Otherwise, an episodic TV show just works better.

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 234819

if Ellen Page isn't cast for the lead I'll be disappointed!
She is a lot older now unfortunately but I remember she was being considered

also that image is very Zelda but I’m pretty excited I loved the story but I haven’t tried the new one

Last edited by Teletron1,

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know that I'd call the adaptation good based on the first two seasons that I've seen. The first season sets things up nicely, but then we get a lot of dialogue and not a whole lot of action involving monsters from Castlevania 3 in Season 2. Dracula doesn't even transform into a monster or anything, and it's not like I want him to transform into that weird man-bird thing, either; they could have used that one demonic form with the bull horns from Dracula X, and not made Trevor such a rookie. Based on that adaptation, I'd be thinking that the Belmonts aren't anything noteworthy given that the intro in Castlevania 3 (and this is the Japanese one and not the US one) states that Trevor/Ralph didn't help until the people asked for it.

But, I just think a lot of video game adaptations just wouldn't work. Like, people have mentioned making a Metroid movie before, and maybe if it was about a research team trying to capture the Metroid as a sort of prequel to the first game that could focus on a cast of characters, then I'd see potential. But a movie adapting a woman all by herself taking on an entire planet?

At least in Alien/Aliens, you have a cast of characters with personalities that make them work. With a lot of video games that aren't RPGs, that dynamic doesn't exist, and even if something could be adapted, it would have to be something specific for a movie that could only last an hour-3 hours tops. Otherwise, an episodic TV show just works better.

No it’s more about the true story of the dark angel and how evil led him to do the things he has done, filling in the gaps, it’s interesting slow but interesting

D

Deleted User

Neil Druckmann are working on the show as executive producers and writers, along with Carolyn Strauss, of Game of Thrones fame.

So, it appears a driver can survive a disastrous train wreck, that's amazing ! Giving this dude full control on any kind of project seems a very good idea.

As for "Game of thrones", I never watched/read this spin off people seem to praise, but I admit Maurice Druon original novel was quite good, while taking some freedom with our history. Who needs dumb fantasy when you have a wonderful medieval scenery.

Some useless licentious scenes in the beginning of the second book 'La reine étranglée', but I can overlook this, Druon was old and ageing can be a sinking as one said.

Well, well, well, that's enough GBA for this week, à plus les joueurs, portez vous bien.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.