• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Has Cancel Culture Gone Too Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
A famous YouTuber that's been there from the beginning Jenna Marbles made an apology video and took time off YouTube which might be permanent.

Family Guy actor for Clevland Brown, a white guy voicing a Black character says he's stepping down from the role.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...ke-henry-cleveland-family-guy-trnd/index.html

Simpsons says they will stop using White Actors for non white characters.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/26/entertainment/simpsons-voices-trnd/index.html

Angry Joe is getting Meetoo'd

https://www.google.com/amp/s/boundi...s-statement-in-response-to-metoo-accuser/amp/

Jimmy Kimmel took a break after videos from the 90's surfaced on the web from a parody Rap song of Snoop Dogg and immitating Oprah trying to look like her.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.s...rsonate-snoop-dogg-and-oprah-winfrey-12013578

There are many more examples like this.
People are looking to cancel other people in these times. It seems like everybody has something they can be canceled for.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, cancel culture has gone too far. I blame it on the twitterverse losers who have such easy, simple lives that they have nothing better to do than complain about the smallest of non-issues.
For some reason, Twitter has become the moral compass of the world even though it is nothing but a leftist shithole.

Here's how cancel culture works -
One loser complains about something on twitter that doesn't really bother them.
A couple other losers retweet and complain about the same thing.
The lame stream media writes a story about the fake outrage of these three people making the issue seem bigger than it really is.
Some corporation freaks out due to fear of retribution from less than 1% of their customer base causing them to act irresponsibly and cancel a product, ad, actor, model, etc.
The world suffers due to the actions of a few idiots.

The normal thinking people need to start a movement that counters these twitterverse idiots to let corporations know that their opinions do not reflect the feelings of most of the real world's population.

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I definitely think there is a double standard when Key and Peele impersonate other races in lots of their sketches and often are taking jabs at racial stereotypes. (I still love their content)
The problem isn't the people that are "cancelling" celebrities. Its the media that covers said cancellation. Harsher and surprising headlines gets more clicks and ad revenue. Readers don't need to read an article to see that -insert celebrity- made a racist joke when it is in the headline while the article states that the comment was made in the 90s or early 2000s

Last edited by GoldenBullet,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jenna Marbles made an apology video

Jenna can apologize all she wants, but I'm not sorry.

ScreenRecorderProject2.gif

Reactions: weatMod

tinkle

taciturn shill girl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, cancel culture has gone too far. I blame it on the twitterverse losers who have such easy, simple lives that they have nothing better to do than complain about the smallest of non-issues.
For some reason, Twitter has become the moral compass of the world even though it is nothing but a leftist shithole.

Here's how cancel culture works -
One loser complains about something on twitter that doesn't really bother them.
A couple other losers retweet and complain about the same thing.
The lame stream media writes a story about the fake outrage of these three people making the issue seem bigger than it really is.
Some corporation freaks out due to fear of retribution from less than 1% of their customer base causing them to act irresponsibly and cancel a product, ad, actor, model, etc.
The world suffers due to the actions of a few idiots.

The normal thinking people need to start a movement that counters these twitterverse idiots to let corporations know that their opinions do not reflect the feelings of most of the real world's population.
Sit down, John.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Erm... Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I knew 'cancel culture' as the idea that nothing is permanent. 'I said I'd come to your party but I didn't feel like it so I canceled'. 'I didn't really want the clothes I wanted so I sent them back'. 'I broke off my engagement because we couldn't agree to what songs to play on our marriage'... That sort of thing. Not the individual actions (which might all be excusable), but the general idea that I can just walk out on whatever commitment ever.

Perhaps people around me were using the word wrong, but regardless... The situation in the op isn't less relevant. Well... It's mostly in the 'strange' phase now.
I get that impersonating black people (or whatever color) with the idea of portraying the entire race as inferior is viewed as racist, but it's... Going a bit far. It's as if the most offended colored person is put in a position of judgment now.
I mean... In our areas, Santa Claus has competition of Saint Nicholas, who drops toys and candy through the chimneys of nice children on December sixth. However, in the tale, he has... Someone... With him. Depending on who you ask, Zwarte Piet is Either a helper, servant or a slave. And he's black. Because of his skin color or from the soot in the chimneys, another thing that's part of the discussion. In any case : he is busy disappearing from the tale, as the very controversy about it isn't something you want to bring in front of young children.

I'm really not sure what the end goal is, here. Remove any trace of recognition for people of color? This may sound contra-indicaties, but parody spreads popularity. If all white people can represent in media is other white people, that's actually worse for diversity.

Oh, and... Can anyone explain to me why 'blackface' is racist? I first heard it about controversy because Justin Trudeau wore black make - up dressed as a genius in a masquerade... Decades ago. It's easy to paint a new context and apply it on hindsight, but that doesn't prove anything aside perhaps malicious intent (I WILL portray you as a racist, so I'll just dig around until I can find something I can use for that claim)

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Jenna can apologize all she wants, but I'm not sorry.

View attachment 215317
Is that true? There is a rumor YouTubers are being trained to play a believable sob story, since YouTubers in the past look fake when they try to do it. Leaving YouTube before the angry mob comes after them and walk away with lots of cash unscathed when the purge happens.

But Jenna Marbles is a YouTuber many people say is one of the nicest good YouTubers so is she really doing that to retire with lots of money and look good. But even if Jenna was doing a fake sob story to save herself from an angry mob, the problem is that there was an angry group of people for her to do this in the first place to save herself from. Which means cancel culture is enough of a problem for her to do this.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Cancel culture is both an overcorrection of society's old inequality issues combined with the desire everyone has for drama, the mob mentality, etc. I think the Simpsons stuff is ridiculous--what is recasting a character that's been played by the same guy for 30 years going to change? Absolutely nothing. It's just a PR move to try to pander to some people.

Once you sneeze wrong or do something viewed in a bad light, that's it. You're done. There's no room for forgiveness anymore. I think the meetoo movement is a huge deal for those who have been abused, but it's scary to see that some use the movement as their own drama platform to falsely accuse and ruin lives.

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Erm... Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I knew 'cancel culture' as the idea that nothing is permanent. 'I said I'd come to your party but I didn't feel like it so I canceled'. 'I didn't really want the clothes I wanted so I sent them back'. 'I broke off my engagement because we couldn't agree to what songs to play on our marriage'... That sort of thing. Not the individual actions (which might all be excusable), but the general idea that I can just walk out on whatever commitment ever.

Perhaps people around me were using the word wrong, but regardless... The situation in the op isn't less relevant. Well... It's mostly in the 'strange' phase now.
I get that impersonating black people (or whatever color) with the idea of portraying the entire race as inferior is viewed as racist, but it's... Going a bit far. It's as if the most offended colored person is put in a position of judgment now.
I mean... In our areas, Santa Claus has competition of Saint Nicholas, who drops toys and candy through the chimneys of nice children on December sixth. However, in the tale, he has... Someone... With him. Depending on who you ask, Zwarte Piet is Either a helper, servant or a slave. And he's black. Because of his skin color or from the soot in the chimneys, another thing that's part of the discussion. In any case : he is busy disappearing from the tale, as the very controversy about it isn't something you want to bring in front of young children.

I'm really not sure what the end goal is, here. Remove any trace of recognition for people of color? This may sound contra-indicaties, but parody spreads popularity. If all white people can represent in media is other white people, that's actually worse for diversity.

Oh, and... Can anyone explain to me why 'blackface' is racist? I first heard it about controversy because Justin Trudeau wore black make - up dressed as a genius in a masquerade... Decades ago. It's easy to paint a new context and apply it on hindsight, but that doesn't prove anything aside perhaps malicious intent (I WILL portray you as a racist, so I'll just dig around until I can find something I can use for that claim)
So basically people using whatever small excuse they can to hate. To them might not be a big deal but they just want to use any little thing they can to hate, or to walk out of a commitment they got themselves into without looking like the bad person. Even with this attitude they are still canceling people off the platform. And making the person off as a racist which is not a small thing to be considered. And divorce rates are extremely high and there are problems with child custody, so it's not a small thing that people use to walk out of engagement.

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cancel culture has gone way too far. You can get someone fired by a mere accusation. And as funny as it is to watch the left eat itself alive (Jimmy Kimmel, Kathy Griffin, etc.), it really needs to stop. If someone does something bad, let the market judge them. For example, Jimmy Kimmel is not funny. He's not entertaining. He's also clearly not a racist. His old skits don't prove that he's a racist. Dumb people shouting that he's racist so they get virtue points should not get him fired.
Is it really okay to get someone fired for any mistake that he has ever made? What about imagined mistakes that were taken out of context? No thank you. Cancel culture is completely wrong, and I lose respect for anyone who tries to cancel people in these ways. I also lose respect when someone caves to the cancel culture mob by apologizing when they haven't done anything wrong.

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

-Blackface is considered racist because it was used in America in old minstrel shows. The black people were often extremely stereotypical and overly simplistic. They were portrayed as simple minded people and sub-human in a sense. I think it represents the ignorance of Americans at the time more than anything else.

-Justin Trudeau was clearly not dressing up because he loves minstrel shows, hates black people, and thinks blacks are inferior. It was just some Halloween party or something. I'm not sure if it has the same context in Canada either. The reason it was such a big deal with Trudeau is that he is such a progressive person, this is the greatest sin he can commit even if he clearly wasn't doing it with malice. It's ironic because of how he is constantly virtue signaling about how woke he is, yet he committed the ultimate sin for a progressive.

-Many white Americans are hypersensitive to race because of slavery. White people have a ton of guilt. Many people are afraid to lose their job for saying anything that might be interpreted as racist. We have people like Al Sharpton who have had careers in blackmailing businesses so that he doesn't accuse them of racism. An accusation of racism, just or unjust, is sometimes enough to ruin your career in America or create a multi-million dollar lawsuit.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
This is what happens when you pander to those who look to be offended. They will always escalate. I do get why companies do so though. See the radical left will use any tactic in the book to get their way. Dox, harassment, make shit up whatever it takes to get their way. The right are high on their principles and that is why they never win. What I'm saying that it will get much worst.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
What's "Cancel Culture" I assume by the context is not about cancelled video games. :ninja:

If you have 20 minutes.. ;)

If not: Chomsky explains it in 10: h**ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz_zsHLbvMQ

Or even shorter: Its shouting the other opinion/side of the argument off of any stage/trying to remove them from their job -- to win an argument, or in this case to show a presumed virtue.

Its the horrific side of liberal identity politics. ;)

edit: Afair the term originally comes from students trying to get talks from speakers canceled, that werent adhering to the PC principal of 'if no one says it, it doesnt exist'. So actively lobbying for them to be uninvited by the universities administerial office.

Last edited by notimp,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A famous YouTuber that's been there from the beginning Jenna Marbles made an apology video and took time off YouTube which might be permanent.

Family Guy actor for Clevland Brown, a white guy voicing a Black character says he's stepping down from the role.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...ke-henry-cleveland-family-guy-trnd/index.html

Simpsons says they will stop using White Actors for non white characters.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/26/entertainment/simpsons-voices-trnd/index.html

Angry Joe is getting Meetoo'd

https://www.google.com/amp/s/boundi...s-statement-in-response-to-metoo-accuser/amp/

Jimmy Kimmel took a break after videos from the 90's surfaced on the web from a parody Rap song of Snoop Dogg and immitating Oprah trying to look like her.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.s...rsonate-snoop-dogg-and-oprah-winfrey-12013578

There are many more examples like this.
People are looking to cancel other people in these times. It seems like everybody has something they can be canceled for.

As a rule of thumb, if you're an ahole, then you're going to get called out for it. Jenna Marbles got heat as a direct result of her actions, and stepped down to avoid changing or engaging. So...what do you believe was the correct course of action for her to take?

Also, you will see a lot of token actions, so real change doesn't have to happen. Like that realty company saying they'll stop referring to it as a "master bedroom", despite it having no connection to slavery. They do that so they don't have to actually do anything of merit, like addressing the industry problem of showing people of colour lower quality houses.

I don't think it's gone too far, it's more of people not escaping the consequences of their actions, but I do think it's used as a cover. Something silly is brought up as an example so people can be outraged by the silly, and the actual horrible stuff which should be the focus is given cover.

Last edited by osaka35,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smithers and Patty need to be played as a member of the LGBT! We need to let Fox know of this!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Once you sneeze wrong or do something viewed in a bad light, that's it. You're done. There's no room for forgiveness anymore. I think the meetoo movement is a huge deal for those who have been abused, but it's scary to see that some use the movement as their own drama platform to falsely accuse and ruin lives.
Even if you're found innocent, you're done. Nothing can save you, unless you change your name and relocate far away.

I got pseudo #metooed in High School, when a girl who disliked me said I groped and raped her. I got suspended for 7 days, she ended up confessing, and they apologized. Everyone still treated me like I was a rapist, lol. Thankfully this was way before #metoo was a thing, lol.

Last edited by Viri,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night