Hack every PSP (up to Firmware 6.60)

In the following I will write a detailed guide on how to update your PSP to the newest hackable Firmware and how to install the newest (Light) Custom Firmware.
This will not be a fancy guide. Don't await any fancy graphics, this will be a simple text guide with a few screenshots to help you.

Foreword:
This guide will be divided into 5 parts. A Custom Firmware for Firmware 6.20, one for Firmware 6.35 and one for Firmware 6.39. I also added the downgrading option for the people who want to have the permanent 6.20. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PSP. This tutorial was created by me, but every program in this thread was created by others.

Differences between 6.20 PRO, 6.35 PRO and 6.39 PRO:
The main difference between those two is, that the 6.20 PRO can be installed permanently. That means, if you turn off the PSP, that it is still installed. The 6.35 PRO and 6.39 PRO can only be installed temporarily and will be erased as soon as you turn off your PSP. This is due to the new checks that were build in the 6.35. A permanent patch for it would require a lot of work. If a permanent patch for 6.35 get's released, I will update this thread to reflect the new changes. The compatibility should be nearly or exactly the same for backups, homebrew and plugins. The 6.20 PRO can't be installed permanently on every PSP. Some new models of the PSP 3000 (9g) doesn't allow you to install it permanently. On this PSP's, you can only install the 6.20 PRO temporarily or the 6.35 PRO 9g is limited to PSP 3000, so if you have a PSP 1000, 2000 or Go, you don't need to worry about it.

Information about 9g's:
Newer PSP 3000 models come with Firmware 6.35. They have the modelnumber 9g and new drivers. These PSP's can't be downgraded to 6.20 (DON'T TRY IT, YOU WILL RECEIVE A BRICK) and you can't install the 6.20 PRO permanently to the PSP. If you have a PSP 3000 and installed your PRO, always look into the System Information and notice what g you have. If your g is something else than 9, you can downgrade and install the 6.20 PRO permanently. If your PSP is 9g, you can only install the Custom Firmwares temporarily.

Advantages:
The PSP Scene developed a lot. We came a long way from downgraders, different Exploits and the discovery of the Pandora Battery. Today, we can put a Custom Firmwares on our PSP with very small effort. Old Custom Firmwares were mostly limited to older Firmwares that were patched very fast. Today, things like the easy install of Custom Firmwares are possible due to signed eboots. In my opinion, these new Custom Firmwares are better then the old Custom Firmwares. They are much easier to install and games that needed patches to work on old Custom Firmwares, work without problems now.

Meet the requirements:
First, you need to know on what Firmware you are right now.
To do this, turn on your PSP,scroll all the way to the left and scroll down until you see the System Settings and press X. Scroll down again until you see the System Information and press X again.

1.jpg
2.jpg

There are 3 points right now
System Software: X.XX
Nickname:
MAC Address:

3.jpg

If your System Software is lower than 6.35 or is exactly 6.35, this tutorial can help you on your way to homebrew.

Next you download the PSP Module Checker, put it on your PSP's memorystick and run it. It shows what kind of PSP you have (only important for PSP 3000, others can be ignored). If your PSP has 9g, you can't install the 6.20 permanent and can't downgrade to 6.20. PSP's with 9g can only be downgraded to 6.35 to run the 6.35 PRO or the 6.39 PRO (without the need of downgrading).

Now comes the most important part. If you want the 6.20 Custom Firmware, which can be installed permanently, please look at the first part. If your Firmware is over 6.20, but under or exactly 6.35, you can install the 6.35 Light Custom Firmware. For this, look at the second part. I reflected the installation of the 6.39 one on the third part.

THIS IS FOR 6.20

What you need:
Firmware 6.20 (PSP Go)
Firmware 6.20 (PSP 1000, 2000 and 3000)
6.20 PRO-B9
A memory stick with enough space/enough space on your PSP Go.

If your Firmware is below 6.20:
Download the 6.20 update. It comes as an EBOOT.PBP, if not, rename it this way. Connect your PSP to your Computer and copy the EBOOT.PBP into the folder PSP/GAME/UPDATE. This means that you create these folders, if they are not presented. When you open your PSP, there should be a folder called PSP, inside should be a folder called GAME, inside the folder should be a folder called UPDATE. If one of these folders are not presented, just create them. Copy your downloaded EBOOT.PBP in the UPDATE folder. It should look like this:
UPDATE.jpg

When it looks like this, just turn your PSP on, go to the memory stick and start the UPDATE. Follow the explanation and your PSP is updated to Firmware 6.20.

If your Firmware is 6.20 and you want to install the Custom Firmware permanently:
The permanent patch is only installable if you have a PSP belog 9g. Trying to install the permanent patch on a PSP 9g will brick the PSP. To know what g you have, install the 6.20 PRO-B6 (but not the permanent patch) and look into the system information. At the very bottom, you can see what g you have. Download the 620PRO-B9.rar I linked above. Extract the RAR File (if you don't know what I mean, google for Winrar and Install it.) and copy the folders
PROUPDATE and 620PRO_Permanent
inside your PSP/GAME folder. If they are not present on your PSP, create a folder called PSP, and inside, create a folder called GAME inside it and copy these two folders inside it. If you have a PSP 3000, you should look into the System Information now. On the screenshot above, you can see that your Xg is listed at the bottom of the information. If you have 9g, then you are finished now. You can only install it temporarily on the 3000 9g. If your g is not 9g, you can process onward. After you installed the PROUPDATE, run the Permanent Patch and Press X and after you read the brick warning, press X again.

If your Firmware is 6.20 and you want to install the Custom Firmware temporarily:
Download the 620PRO-B9.rar I linked above. Extract the RAR File (if you don't know what I mean, google for Winrar and Install it.) and copy the folders
PROUPDATE and FastRecovery (FastRecovery starts the Custom Firmware again if you turned your PSP off. Just needs a few seconds)
inside your PSP/GAME folder. If they are not present on your PSP, create a folder called PSP, and inside, create a folder called GAME inside it and copy these two folders inside it.

This is how your folder should look like after extracting the file you downloaded above:
620.jpg

Copy the correct folders I stated above on your PSP.

Turn your PSP on and go to the memory stick. Start the PRO Update.
4.jpg

The Firmware should install automatically. If not, hold L and press X.
5.jpg
6.jpg

After you started the PROUPDATE on 6.20, start the Permanent Patch to install your 6.20 permanently. When you start it, press X, read the brick warning and press X again. After the PSP restarted, start the permanent patch again and press X and the O. Now it will be installed.
pic00014.png
pic00015.png

THIS IS FOR 6.35

What you need:
Firmware 6.35 (PSP Go)
Firmware 6.35 (PSP 1000, 2000 and 3000)
6.35 PRO-B9

If your Firmware is below 6.35:
Download the 6.35 update. It comes as an EBOOT.PBP, if not, rename it this way. Connect your PSP to your Computer and copy the EBOOT.PBP into the folder PSP/GAME/UPDATE. This means that you create these folders, if they are not presented. When you open your PSP, there should be a folder called PSP, inside should be a folder called GAME, inside the folder should be a folder called UPDATE. If one of these folders are not presented, just create them. Copy your downloaded EBOOT.PBP in the UPDATE folder. It should look like this:
UPDATE.jpg

When it looks like this, just turn your PSP on, go to the memory stick and start the UPDATE. Follow the explanation and your PSP is updated to Firmware 6.35.

If your Firmware is 6.35:
Download the 635PRO-B9.rar I linked above. Extract the RAR File (if you don't know what I mean, google for Winrar and Install it.) and copy the folders
PROUPDATE and FastRecovery (FastRecovery starts the Custom Firmware again if you turned your PSP off. Just needs a few seconds)
inside your PSP/GAME folder. If they are not present on your PSP, create a folder called PSP, and inside, create a folder called GAME inside it and copy these two folders inside it.

This is how your folder should look like after extracting the file you downloaded above:
635.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
6.jpg

THIS IS FOR 6.39

What you need:
Firmware 6.39 (PSP Go)
Firmware 6.39 (PSP 1000, 2000 and 3000)
6.39 PRO-B9

If your Firmware is below 6.39:
Download the 6.39 update. It comes as an EBOOT.PBP, if not, rename it this way. Connect your PSP to your Computer and copy the EBOOT.PBP into the folder PSP/GAME/UPDATE. This means that you create these folders, if they are not presented. When you open your PSP, there should be a folder called PSP, inside should be a folder called GAME, inside the folder should be a folder called UPDATE. If one of these folders are not presented, just create them. Copy your downloaded EBOOT.PBP in the UPDATE folder. It should look like this:
UPDATE.jpg

When it looks like this, just turn your PSP on, go to the memory stick and start the UPDATE. Follow the explanation and your PSP is updated to Firmware 6.39.

If your Firmware is 6.39:
Download the 639PRO-B9.rar I linked above. Extract the RAR File (if you don't know what I mean, google for Winrar and Install it.) and copy the folders

635.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
6.jpg

THIS IS FOR 6.60

What you need:
Firmware 6.60 (PSP Go)
Firmware 6.60 (PSP 1000, 2000 and 3000)
6.60 PRO-B9

If your Firmware is below 6.60:
Download the 6.60 update. It comes as an EBOOT.PBP, if not, rename it this way. Connect your PSP to your Computer and copy the EBOOT.PBP into the folder PSP/GAME/UPDATE. This means that you create these folders, if they are not presented. When you open your PSP, there should be a folder called PSP, inside should be a folder called GAME, inside the folder should be a folder called UPDATE. If one of these folders are not presented, just create them. Copy your downloaded EBOOT.PBP in the UPDATE folder. It should look like this:
UPDATE.jpg

When it looks like this, just turn your PSP on, go to the memory stick and start the UPDATE. Follow the explanation and your PSP is updated to Firmware 6.60.

If your Firmware is 6.60:
Download the 660PRO_B9.rar I linked above. Extract the RAR File (if you don't know what I mean, google for Winrar and Install it.) and copy the folders

635.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
6.jpg

DOWNGRADE FROM 6.3x TO 6.20/6.35

What you need:
The downgrader
Firmware 6.20 (PSP Go)
Firmware 6.20 (PSP 1000, 2000 and 3000)
or
Firmware 6.35 (PSP Go)
Firmware 6.35 (PSP 1000, 2000 and 3000)

If your Firmware is 6.3x:
Download the Downgrader I linked above. Check your PSP with the Module Checker posted at the top. Is your PSP a 9g ? Copy the 6.35 Firmware I linked above to X:\PSP\GAME\UPDATE\EBOOT.PBP (X is for your Drive Letter, the Firmware itself should be named EBOOT.PBP. If not, rename it). Every other g can be downgraded to 6.20, so use the 6.20 Update instead. Copy the folder PSP that you've extracted from the Downgrader to your Memorystick and overwrite the folder.

When you've set up your Stick like this, run the downgrader! from the PSP Menu (not the PSP Update). Wait a bit and the Update should start. Install it like a normal Update and after restarting, your PSP should be on Firmware 6.20 or 6.35. Support for every PSP and Generation has been added. You can downgrade every PSP out there with this downgrader. Newer PSP 3000 with 9g and 7g only can be downgraded to 6.35. If your PSP came with 6.35, it can be downgraded to 6.35, but not to 6.20.

How to use Homebrew and Backups of your PSN Games and UMD's:
Backups of your PSP Games go into the folder ISO. If it is not there, create it.
Homebrews come as a EBOOT.PBP file in a folder. Copy this folder into the PSP/GAME folder.
PSN Stuff also goes into the PSP/GAME folder.

Congratulations, now you have a Custom Firmware on your PSP. I hope that my tutorial helps you and shows you the wonderful world of homebrew. If you have any questions or have any improvements for my tutorial, please message me. I am eager for your experiences with this tutorial. Many many thanks to Coldbird and VFlame. They are the creators of this superb Custom Firmwares. It is really one of my favorites. I can understand all the people who'd like their GEN and M33 firmwares, but sometimes you just got to change a running system to make things better

Credits to aminemaster for the two pics from the 6.20 permanent installation.

hunter291

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks for posting your opinion. Did you try it ? Everything went good ? Didn`t try, just wanted to post ? Do you have anything I could improve in my tutorial ?
biggrin.gif

mollekemiel

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I installed the 6,35 pro just before i read this tut.
And it was a pain just to findout how (on this and other forums). It took me days and than still it wasn't clear (but i am a total noob for psp i even had to do research on the abrev XMB :-) )
and still didn know the use of the fast-recovery until i read this

Maybe u can add a downgrade part 6.35 -> 6.20 (or just say if its possible or not)
And mention the difference in iso loading (build-in on 6.35 vs isotool on 6.20)
And maybe mention the excistence of the m33 (and maybe other) firmwares and optionally make clear why these are out of scope in this tut.

hunter291

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i will add the things you said as soon as possible. thanks for your tips.
added the downgrade part
In the PRO Firmwares, there is no difference. The TN-Hen needs a ISO Loader, the 6.20 PRO has (like the 6.35) a build in one
biggrin.gif

I will try to add the last point, but I'm not sure how I should write it
tongue.gif
But we will see
biggrin.gif
Thanks for your tips
biggrin.gif

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
You forgot (or more likely didn't know) to put newer PSP 3000 (9g model) can't do permanent patches.
6.20 PSP Go firmware is missing.

hunter291

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks for this information. That is a very important info. I thought that maybe there's a lock in it or something that detects the 9g. But it seems I need to add a warning. Thank you

mollekemiel

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hunter291 said:
In the PRO Firmwares, there is no difference. The TN-Hen needs a ISO Loader, the 6.20 PRO has (like the 6.35) a build in one
biggrin.gif

Your right. my mistake.
Maybe someone can write a tutorial about the different firmwares :-)

hunter291

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If the 3000 is below 6.35 you can install the 6.35 PRO-B5 temporarily
If the 3000 is below 6.20 you can install the 6.20 PRO-B5 permanently
If the 3000 is below 6.20 (but a new PSP 3000) you can install the 6.20 PRO-B5 temporarily

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hunter291 said:
If the 3000 is below 6.35 you can install the 6.35 PRO-B5 temporarily
If the 3000 is below 6.20 you can install the 6.20 PRO-B5 permanently
If the 3000 is below 6.20 (but a new PSP 3000) you can install the 6.20 PRO-B5 temporarily
Thanks it works, now she can play P3P on her PSP while I play Persona 4 on the big screen!

mollekemiel

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hunter291 said:
I saw a topic where Duskeye tried to do it:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=291163

maybe he will expand the differences of the cfw's a bit
biggrin.gif
but I am happy right now with my tut. Or do you have anything to add ?

thanks m8.

its well done allready
But I think most people that will use this tut will have a brand new psp, so i realy think you should add the 9g stuff to and how to find out and why (driver issue ?)
and than its perfect.

hunter291

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
thanks
biggrin.gif
tried to add it as good as possible. I'm not very sure about the 9g problem, so if you have any info or I did something wrong, please write it in this thread
biggrin.gif

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks, very clear and easy to follow instructions.
I have a PSP 3000 piano black in the mail ( expect to get it delivered in the next couple of days ) and I can't wait to hack it.
Hopefully , it's not gonna be one of those new naughty unhackable firmware on it, or the whole 9g business, I got it new from Amazon.
I played almost everything on the DS, now it seams a good time to own a PSP.
Cheaper then ever, easy to hack, and a vastly catalog of games to choose from......
At least, it's gonna keep me busy until the 3DS gets a decent library as well.
Let's just hope I'm gonna be able to hack it.
By the way, what are the chances that a piano black PSP3000 comes with a firmware >6.35 ?

hunter291

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't know what the newest PSP 3000 ship with, but as you bought it new from amazon, the chances that you have a 9g one are very high. so permanent is not an option for you. that the psp has firmware 6.35 or less is more likely, so you need to install the 6.35.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1