[Google Blog] Nexus: The best of Google, now in three sizes

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I hoped another manufacturer would produce it differently/cheaper.
Then the price difference is maybe due to the French taxes on every virgin storage medias to allow/counter piracy loss. that makes the taxes quite high for only 16GB :(
Nexus7 should be 150€ for 16GB, not 275€
import taxes? or google/amazon making a lot of benefice.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think thats right. I mean the Nexus series of phones are great and they have a god appeal but some people might be deterred by not having expandable memory and thats where other phones still have their place.

Agreed. With the exception of the Kindle Fire, the lack of a SD slot will stop me from buying any media device.

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Nexus7 32GB (without phone) is 250 to 300€ (380$ US) in France :(
They are like Nintendo, they don't convert the currencies...

I hope it will lower a little after nexus 10 release.
I'm sure 10" would be great as gift for my dad, but it's a little too expansive.

On Amazon, it's said "Nexus 7 from Asus" (16GB for 275€, 350$ !! Twice the US price)
Is that normal that it's built from Asus? Is there any other constructor making Nexus7?
AFAIK, the nexus 7 is build by Asus, the nexus 10 by samsung and nexus 4 by LG.
As for prices in France, you should look on google's website instead : https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_16gb ; the price range is 199-299 euros.

Reactions: Cyan

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
Agreed. With the exception of the Kindle Fire, the lack of a SD slot will stop me from buying any media device.
Same here. I mean cloud storage is nice and all but it takes data and that is something which is too expensive for me even more so since my network is prepaid only thats why I love having hard storage. Kinda sucks that no new Nexus device will have it though since they look really good.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same here. I mean cloud storage is nice and all but it takes data and that is something which is too expensive for me even more so since my network is prepaid only that's why I love having hard storage. Kinda sucks that no new Nexus device will have it though since they look really good.

In regards to the cloud, cloud storage isn't a issue for me most of the time because I'm mostly on WiFi. The problem I have with cloud storage is when it comes to games. Android games are starting to go upwards 1.7gb (NOVA 3). Unless Google creates a way in which game cache files can be streamed to you, a measly 8 or 16 gigs will just not be enough for a serious Android gamer.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
In regards to the cloud, cloud storage isn't a issue for me most of the time because I'm mostly on WiFi. The problem I have with cloud storage is when it comes to games. Android games are starting to go upwards 1.7gb (NOVA 3). Unless Google creates a way in which game cache files can be streamed to you, a measly 8 or 16 gigs will just not be enough for a serious Android gamer.
Wow and I thought Asphalt 7 was big...games really need to be on the hard storage otherwise things start becoming laggy and so forth but I'm gonna assume the Nexus devices aren't targeted towards the serious gamers. I mean my PSX games alone take up quite a bit of space as well as the more dedicated Android games like Chaos Rings.

Honestly cloud is good or small things but I doubt it'll be that good for gaming.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow and I thought Asphalt 7 was big...games really need to be on the hard storage otherwise things start becoming laggy and so forth but I'm gonna assume the Nexus devices aren't targeted towards the serious gamers. I mean my PSX games alone take up quite a bit of space as well as the more dedicated Android games like Chaos Rings.

Honestly cloud is good or small things but I doubt it'll be that good for gaming.

OnLive says hello :P I'm surprised that NOBODY is using SD cards in the same vein as DS game cards. Even Ouya is all digital. I wouldn't mind buying android games locked to SD cards, especially on a home console. I haven't had an issue with games from the SD being laggy. I guess i depends on what class SD are you are using.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think thats right. I mean the Nexus series of phones are great and they have a god appeal but some people might be deterred by not having expandable memory and thats where other phones still have their place.

Not to mention it will not be 4g compatible...

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
OnLive says hello :P I'm surprised that NOBODY is using SD cards in the same vein as DS game cards. Even Ouya is all digital. I wouldn't mind buying android games locked to SD cards, especially on a home console. I haven't had an issue with games from the SD being laggy. I guess i depends on what class SD are you are using.
It's also about using multiple file systems that makes hardware devs like Google to not include SD card readers. I'll admit that the games may require lots of space on the device itself, but most people will not need the extra space because of streaming services à la Spotify and Netflix. My 16GB phone still has more than 8GB space left after about 1.5 years. Moving stuff to the computer HDD help a lot :P

4G is nice and all, but most people will never see the use of 4G since the 4G network is c**p in quite a few countries. Good 3G (HSDPA+ 42Mbps) coverage > bad 4G coverage.

Well all in all I may be a bit biased, since I tend to find open WiFi networks pretty much everywhere I go and 3G is used only in moving vehicles like buses.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
It's also about using multiple file systems that makes hardware devs like Google to not include SD card readers. I'll admit that the games may require lots of space on the device itself, but most people will not need the extra space because of streaming services à la Spotify and Netflix. My 16GB phone still has more than 8GB space left after about 1.5 years. Moving stuff to the computer HDD help a lot :P
Well your lucky cause my phone has shit internal memory but i've been using a 32GB MicroSD card for a few months and I only have about 7.2GB left which won't last long if I find a new game or anime I want.

Well all in all I may be a bit biased, since I tend to find open WiFi networks pretty much everywhere I go and 3G is used only in moving vehicles like buses.
Thats fortunate cause I hardly find any open Wifi networks where I live.

If your living in Australia then it wouldn't really matter if there is no 4G or not since the 4G network we have here is shit.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With a Nexus 7 32 GB at 300 dollars unlocked without a contract, the Nexus 4 16 GB seems overpriced to me. The Nexus 4 would be a perfect replacement for my iPhone if it was cheaper and came in a 32 GB size option.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well your lucky cause my phone has shit internal memory but i've been using a 32GB MicroSD card for a few months and I only have about 7.2GB left which won't last long if I find a new game or anime I want.

Thats fortunate cause I hardly find any open Wifi networks where I live.

If your living in Australia then it wouldn't really matter if there is no 4G or not since the 4G network we have here is shit.

True,
At my university, there are a lot of dead spots for 3g (maybe congestion or something) but my friends with 4g seem to have no problems.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
True,
At my university, there are a lot of dead spots for 3g (maybe congestion or something) but my friends with 4g seem to have no problems.
Well your lucky to have 4G in the first place. Australia is like a dead spot for any open Wifi network and good 3 and 4G.

Reactions: Zetta_x

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up