[Google Blog] Nexus: The best of Google, now in three sizes

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Santee, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Santee
    OP

Member Santee Jalapeño

United States
    [​IMG]

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/10/nexus-best-of-google-now-in-three-sizes.html

http://www.android.com/whatsnew/

I don't see how anyone can compete with these prices and specs, and even though I can't wait to get 4.2 either.

2. renes2

Member renes2 ~New World~

Germany
    Hm, I bought a Nexus7 8Gb (July, UK Import), and Sold it recently for 190€......

Now I See that 16Gb costs 199€.... i'm a lucky bastard hahahaha :)

Nice Tablets, is Google trying to take Over the phone and Tablet market?

3. Gnargle

Member Gnargle The day I set a profile picture is the day I die

United Kingdom
    That 8GB Nexus 4 for £239 is unbelievable value.

4. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    I. Want. That. Nexus 10.
    I've been waiting for a really nice Android tablet to come along. The Nexus 7 is too small for me since I have a Galaxy Nexus (which has a big, beautiful screen). I agree with Jobs that 10" is the minimum size for a tablet. I'm confused about the fact that they've removed the usual tablet interface though. I like that style of interface. I actually have a custom ROM on my Galaxy Nexus that allows me to use that as the default interface (giving more space in portrait mode, less in landscape unless the app has autohide) and I enjoyed using it. Maybe change the launcher so that it appears as it does there but keep the usual button layout?

5. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I like the Nexus and all, but I don't really see the point.

Throw Picard in there, or maybe Kirk, and we can talk. Hell, I could settle for Whoopi Goldberg, but just give us something here.

ProtoKun7 likes this.
  6. Cortador

Member Cortador GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Nexus 4, here i comeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

7. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Of course they want to take over the market, why shouldn't they try? They try to take over everything techrelated, be it phones, tablets, TV's, OS's, ....
    And I really like it :hrth:

triassic911 likes this.
  8. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Looks like I'll be getting a tablet after all because of the Nexus 10. Actually pondering wether I should invest in the Nexus 4 also since I could be looking for a new phone too :)

9. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    The Nexus 4 would be near-perfect IF it had a microSD slot. I just don't get it. If you're going to force us to use internal memory, why wouldn't you at least include an option with a usable amount of memory? I don't want to go back to carrying around a second device just to listen to my music. As much as I poke fun at Apple, at least their internal memory options are usable.

10. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Apple currently have a stranglehold in tablet land. Its just down to the app support. These devices are to try and encourage devs to make tablet interface apps by showing them how Android can be the perfect tablet space and, crucially, giving them a good product to sell and test on. Showing the rest of the Tablet market how they think it should be.

11. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Actually there is a good reason for using just internal storage: a single file system. The phone doesn't have to worry about the storage media being FAT or something else since it's just the original file system in use. That's the reason why you don't see MircoSD slots on iPads or iPhones either. Also as music/video/the rest is moving more and more to cloud based services like Spotify and Netflix, a huge amount of internal memory for music per se is not necessarily needed for most users. Not that I wouldn't prefer a 32 GB over the 8/16 GB versions of the Nexus 4..

Now I just have to find someone who would be willing to get me the tablet and phone and happened to be coming around to bring them (damn you Google for not selling Nexus devices in Finland) :P

12. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    I've read the sources explaining a unified storage system, which I can understand, but as memory isn't relatively expensive, adding more shouldn't be difficult.

I'm actually torn now. The 8GB is certainly not an option for me; originally I wanted to wait at least a few months to see if there would be a 32GB Nexus 4 released (as was the case with the Nexus 7), but now I'm toying with the thought of getting a 16GB option and a network drive like the GoFlex Satellite that Jdbye mentioned in IRC the other day.

13. Crimsonclaw111

Member Crimsonclaw111 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I will be ordering a Nexus 10 on November 13th. Torn between 16gb and 32 gb though.

14. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Nexus7 32GB (without phone) is 250 to 300€ (380$ US) in France :(
    They are like Nintendo, they don't convert the currencies...

I hope it will lower a little after nexus 10 release.
    I'm sure 10" would be great as gift for my dad, but it's a little too expansive.

On Amazon, it's said "Nexus 7 from Asus" (16GB for 275€, 350$ !! Twice the US price)
    Is that normal that it's built from Asus? Is there any other constructor making Nexus7?

15. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    I love the Nexus 10 specs so far. The A15 processor is definitely a huge plus.

The thing however is app support. Nexus 10 will not have many apps which are specially tailored for the beautiful display.
    For now I'll still stick with iPad, because of the wide variety of optimized apps.

At $399, it's definitely going to cost about ~ $600+ when local retailers import it here.
    At that price, I'll rather go for iPad. I may sound like an iSheep, but iPad has really one of the best tablet app support out there.

16. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    holy shit time to sell my transformer and prepare to get the nexus 10!

17. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    Some uniformity would be nice. As much as I dislike Apple, at least you can tell that the pad, pad-mini and pod-touch are from the same family just different screen sizes. In this case all three devices look as if they were made from totally different device families. I DON'T like that.

18. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    They look awesome I might be getting the Nexus 7 but i'm not much of a tablet person to be honest.

19. lokomelo

Member lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    so Samsung will not be the #1 Android phone anymore?

20. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    I don't think thats right. I mean the Nexus series of phones are great and they have a god appeal but some people might be deterred by not having expandable memory and thats where other phones still have their place.