Homebrew GBARunner2

Syrion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey there,

First of all, I want to thank you for your work on this and must say it's working really well! I've just recently started using GBARunner2 (latest arm9dldi_ds release v20200812-131430_6e4ce45 + official GBA bios) on my Nintendo DS Lite (+ Cyclo DS Evolution v2.3 + TwiLight Menu++ v16.1.0) and I've got an issue with Turok Evolution that isn't mentioned in the compatibility list: The game freezes on the loading screen of level 3.4 (the boss of level 3). I've tried a different level select code and different character and it still freezes. I continued playing on PC using mGBA and when finishing the level mGBA gave an error message about an unsupported BIOS call (not using the official BIOS). It didn't crash, though. The next level worked fine again via GBARunner2.
That level is different from most in that it is a shooting gallery, but there is a similar level before that which works fine.
Otherwise I thought the game ran really well :)
The issue can be replicated easily thanks to the password system (A full passwords list can be found on GameFAQs. Here's the one for 3.4: Inventory password: 5K987 V5452 Level password: LV15).

Another issue I've had is that it took me a really long time to figure out I needed to use TwiLight Menu++ to run GBARunner2. While the CycloDS firmware comes with its own menu that works well for everything else, running GBARunner2 didn't work, it just froze upon starting the .nds file. Reading some posts here it seems that using TwiLight Menu++ or another menu is mandatory, but from reading the installation notes on the wiki that wasn't clear to me at all, as it is mostly mentioned when referring to DSi and 3DS. I think that information should really be added to the wiki.

[edit]
I just found out that the mGBA BIOS error also appears in the previous shooting gallery stage which isn't a problem for GBARunner2, so I guess it's unrelated. Just thought I'd mention it.

Last edited by Syrion,

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey there,

First of all, I want to thank you for your work on this and must say it's working really well! I've just recently started using GBARunner2 (+ official bios) on my Nintendo DS Lite (+ Cyclo DS flashcart + TwiLight Menu++) and I've got an issue with Turok Evolution that isn't mentioned in the compatibility list: The game freezes on the loading screen of level 3.4 (the boss of level 3). I've tried a different level select code and different character and it still freezes. I continued playing on PC using mGBA and when finishing the level mGBA gave an error message about an unsupported BIOS call (not using the official BIOS). It didn't crash, though. The next level worked fine again via GBARunner2.
That level is different from most in that it is a shooting gallery, but there is a similar level before that which works fine.
Otherwise I thought the game ran really well :)
The issue can be replicated easily thanks to the password system (Passwords can be found on GameFAQs).

Another issue I've had is that it took me a really long time to figure out I needed to use TwiLight Menu++ to run GBARunner2. While the CycloDS firmware comes with its own menu that works well for everything else, running GBARunner2 didn't work, it just froze upon starting the .nds file. Reading some posts here it seems that using TwiLight Menu++ or another menu is mandatory, but from reading the installation notes on the wiki that wasn't clear to me at all, as it is mostly mentioned when referring to DSi and 3DS. I think that information should really be added to the wiki.

[edit]
I just found out that the mGBA BIOS error also appears in the previous shooting gallery stage which isn't a problem for GBARunner2, so I guess it's unrelated. Just thought I'd mention it.
Thanks for the great compatibility feedback! Admittedly the games that are tested are mostly tested for the first level of the game, apart from the most popular or games we enjoy the most ourselves or decide to finally play through.

As for the issue it seems you've found an issue common to both mgba and gbarunner2. Kudos for that! Wouldn't surprise me if it's present in higan too. As for ways to circumvent it I can only tell you to try and turn off the various caches in the gbarunner2 settings reached by touching the touch screen and pressing R.

From the post I take it this game uses a password system. If you wouldn't mind sharing the exact password here (just for convenience for Gericom, the dev, so there won't be a need to spend time looking it up), I can add it to the compatibility list for reference.

Interesting to hear the cyclods canwcan run gbarunner2 from twilightmenu since it's been quite a while since GBARunner2 could run straight from the cyclods kernel, at least since last time I tried to.

Last edited by Zense,

Syrion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for the warm welcome! I didn't think about trying the different cache settings. I now played around with the caches and to be safe also "center & mask" and it seems like it didn't make a difference, it always gets stuck on the loading screen ("Please Wait") and apparently crashes GBARunner2, as the menu can't be opened.

I added the version numbers of the stuff I use and password to my previous post. Here's the password again for level 3.4: Inventory password: 5K987 V5452 Level password: LV15 (The inventory password should be irrelevant for the issue, as it only determines which weapons you get. It can be skipped by pressing the "<>" button on the inventory password screen. To skip the level in a normal playthrough, you can just use the inventory password you get for level 3.4, and use the level password 3K21 for level 4.1. This way you will just skip the boss fight and take your exact loadout with you to the next level.)

Last edited by Syrion,

HarrySunderland

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hello. thanks for the great work with the program! I just installed it a day ago and have been playing with it. I have tried Fifa 05 and works perfectly as far as i can see. Fifa 07 Alex Rider - Stormbreaker an load the game okay but freeze when I press a button followed by glitchy noises. Also when playing Fifa 07, the bottom few pixels are duplicated below the screen a few times. Maybe that bug has been reported and sorry if it has. Any idea as to why Fifa 07 isn't playing. it's in the compatibility list as playing but maybe i did something wrong. Playing on 3ds on Twilight Menu ++. Thanks!

Reactions: Zense and banjo2

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello. thanks for the great work with the program! I just installed it a day ago and have been playing with it. I have tried Fifa 05 and works perfectly as far as i can see. Fifa 07 Alex Rider - Stormbreaker an load the game okay but freeze when I press a button followed by glitchy noises. Also when playing Fifa 07, the bottom few pixels are duplicated below the screen a few times. Maybe that bug has been reported and sorry if it has. Any idea as to why Fifa 07 isn't playing. it's in the compatibility list as playing but maybe i did something wrong. Playing on 3ds on Twilight Menu ++. Thanks!
Basically if you want to run Fifa you'll have to run the DS version of GBARunner2. I believe you might be looking at the wrong compatibility list. You should look at the one specific for DSi/3DS that you can find on the wiki you've been looking at.

Alex Rider does not work on any version yet.

To run the DS version you'll need to download it from releases on the github page of gbarunner2. Then put it on your sd card and run it from twilightmenu as you would with any rom. You can put it in any folder.

Last edited by Zense,

HarrySunderland

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Basically if you want to run Fifa you'll have to run the DS version. I believe you might be looking at the wrong compatibility list. You should look at the one specific for DSi/3DS that you can find on the wiki you've been looking at.

Alex Rider does not work on any version yet.

To run the DS version you'll need to download it from releases on the github page of gbarunner2. Then put it on your sd card and run it from twilightmenu as you would with any rom. You can put it in any folder.

Okay yes i didn't see that link for the 3ds list, sorry! I have the bottom few rows of pixels duplicated and appearing below the game sometimes. any idea for that? thanks

Reactions: banjo2

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Okay yes i didn't see that link for the 3ds list, sorry! I have the bottom few rows of pixels duplicated and appearing below the game sometimes. any idea for that? thanks
Yes, that's the twlbg bug. I believe using the latest master release found on github should make this less frequent. Not sure if it comes with the latest twilightmenu release. I'd just download it and test if it gives less or not.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found another way of running videos on DSi!

To run videos using GBARunner2, use this application: https://www.gameboy-advance.net/video/
The generated GBA ROM must be 8MB or less for DSi consoles, or 24MB or less for 3DS consoles.
BIOS intro must also be disabled, or you can use GBATA to fix the ROM header.

DSiWarehax users (e.g. Memory Pit) may experience brief visual glitches or audio lags, but will correct itself after.

If the video you're using doesn't work, then try one with the MPEG1 video codec, or convert a video with said codec set.

NOTE: For those who don't want to use GBARunner2, it'll also work with the DS console's native GBA mode, if you have a suitable Slot-2 card.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

kenkenken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I am going to play GBA Roms using dsi. I bought a dsi and I am going to mod it. Gbarunner2 will be used to play Roms but maybe I need to find a method of removing head videos of Chinese language Roms, otherwise some Chinese language roms couldn’t be launched by Gbarunner2. Is there any mothiod of improving the compatibility of Gbarunner2 with Chinese language roms?

Last edited by kenkenken,

dolanduk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got gbarunner2 working on a r4igold.cn flashcart with v3.2! Works pretty well, just sound desyncs on Megaman Battle Network 2 and Megaman Battle Network 3. The Wii U patch on MMBN 3 that someone provided earlier in the thread doesn't allow you to use any start menu functions or it crashes, but I assume that's just because its the Wii U patch.

Reactions: Gericom

Zinx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder but there are any plans to intergrate or emulate the wireless adapter into this?
I know it supported few games but the few games it supports are popular and it might be more viable then the link cable.

DarthMotzkus

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi people. I tested so many games in this gbarunner2, and want to play until finish Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. The only issue i found is begin a battle, everytime the screen freezes before enter in one. I need to enter in options by tapping the touch screen, go to emulation options, disable DS-Cache, and resume, then, the battle starts. "Ow but, why you don't stick with ds-cache disabled all the time?" Because it's very annoying the NPCs blinking bug and having an issue with transparency all the time with this option disabled. And it's a RPG, so, 70% of the game is battle... i need to change this option very often.
My question: Is there any solution comming for this issue on Mario & Luigi? It's a very much popular title, i don't believe some games with much less popularity plays perfect and the M&L don't.
Tested Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, in both theres lag and sound is out of sync in screens with more details and assets.
Castlevania Circle of the Moon freezes after the text intro, and can't play. (Is there any workaround?).
Golden Sun 2 still with the save problem in the latest release of the emulator.
Any update about all these issues i presented? Are Devs aware of them? I'm playing the ARM9 latest revision on a R4i Gold 2019 edition, in my updated and stock 3DS XL.
TKS!

Last edited by DarthMotzkus,
Reactions: SummonerArthur

Falco_DJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know If it is possible, or if it already exists for that matter, but could you mirror A and B. So, A = Y and B = X. I think it would make playing games like Megaman Zero more convenient.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
I don't know If it is possible, or if it already exists for that matter, but could you mirror A and B. So, A = Y and B = X. I think it would make playing games like Megaman Zero more convenient.
It does mostly* already exist, touch the screen to open the menu, then press R for settings, then key mapping should be there. If it's not make sure you have a recent version.

* If I remember right you can't map two real buttons to the same GBA button, but you move them around at least.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi people. I tested so many games in this gbarunner2, and want to play until finish Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. The only issue i found is begin a battle, everytime the screen freezes before enter in one. I need to enter in options by tapping the touch screen, go to emulation options, disable DS-Cache, and resume, then, the battle starts. "Ow but, why you don't stick with ds-cache disabled all the time?" Because it's very annoying the NPCs blinking bug and having an issue with transparency all the time with this option disabled. And it's a RPG, so, 70% of the game is battle... i need to change this option very often.
My question: Is there any solution comming for this issue on Mario & Luigi? It's a very much popular title, i don't believe some games with much less popularity plays perfect and the M&L don't.
Tested Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, in both theres lag and sound is out of sync in screens with more details and assets.
Castlevania Circle of the Moon freezes after the text intro, and can't play. (Is there any workaround?).
Golden Sun 2 still with the save problem in the latest release of the emulator.
Any update about all these issues i presented? Are Devs aware of them? I'm playing the ARM9 latest revision on a R4i Gold 2019 edition, in my updated and stock 3DS XL.
TKS!
On 3DS you can try open_agb_firm. It has basically 100% compatibility due to using original GBA hardware (with the exception of a few hardware limitations). It currently has problems detecting EEPROM save types however.

Reactions: Tokenx

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
TKS!
The dev, Gericom, is definitely aware of those issues and the issues have been looked into previously. All games have been tested and reported on the official compatibility lists for both DS and DSi/3DS systems here on wikitemp.

Last edited by Zense,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Hn-gx9VjRt8?t=153