[RELEASE] PSVita USB streaming (UVC - USB Video Class)

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by xerpi, Aug 6, 2018.

1. xerpi
    OP

xerpi GBAtemp Regular

Dec 25, 2011
    Barcelona
    Changes since v1.1:
    • Fixed 480x272 support thanks to u/Kaizu_vita
    Changes since v1.0:
    • Added 896x504 and 480x272 video modes
    • Added 30FPS support
    • VitaShell's USB mode should work (starting at VitaShell 1.95) but a reboot will be needed after disabling USB in order to get this plugin working again
    If the video looks glitched, try to change the video player configuration to use the NV12 format or switch to another player (like PotPlayer, KMPlayer or OBS).
    If you use Windows 10 you might have to change the Camera access permissions on the Privacy Settings.
    On Linux I recommend using mpv (mpv tv:// --tv-device=/dev/videoX --tv-width=960 --tv-height=544) or mplayer (mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/videoX:width=960:height=544).

List of supported video modes:
    • 960x544 @ 30 FPS and (less than) 60 FPS
    • 896x504 @ 30 FPS and (almost) 60 FPS
    • 864x488 @ 30 FPS and 60 FPS
    • 480x272 @ 30 FPS and 60 FPS
    Download:
    Installation:
    1. Copy udcd_uvc.skprx to your PSVita
    2. Add udcd_uvc.skprx to taiHEN's config (ur0:/tai/config.txt or ux0:/tai/config.txt):
      Code:
      *KERNEL
      ur0:tai/udcd_uvc.skprx
    3. Reboot your PSVita.
    4. Open a video/cam player on your PC (such as the ones mentioned above).
    Audio noise fix:
    • Disable USB power supply (Settings > System)
    Source code:

Note: Remember that if anything goes wrong (like PSVita not booting) you can always press L at boot to skip plugin loading.

Note 2: No, it doesn't stream audio. For that use a 3.5mm jack to jack adapter (a ferrite bead might help reduce the electromagnetic noise). Disabling USB charging from Settings might also help reducing the noise.

Last edited by xerpi, Jan 9, 2019
    Lineacero, Chrisssj2, cvskid and 3 others like this.
  2. MUDD_BR

MUDD_BR GBAtemp Fan

Nov 17, 2008
    Brazil
    Thanks, that´s a interesting one. Did you have some video to show?

3. xerpi
    OP

xerpi GBAtemp Regular

Dec 25, 2011
    Barcelona
    There are quite a few videos on Youtube such as

Lineacero, cvskid and MUDD_BR like this.
  4. MUDD_BR

MUDD_BR GBAtemp Fan

Nov 17, 2008
    Brazil
  5. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    A bit of a bump, but since I don't have a reddit account I want to say it here

Using 1.1 works perfectly, but I found some bugs:

-Acessing the Camera and Gallery app freezes the display until you exit it

-LittleBigPlanet PSVita edition gives me an error when searches for Wifi networks and kicks me back to livearea

6. scott0bloke

scott0bloke GBAtemp Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    Does any one reckon this could support streaming to raspberry pie 3b using another application other than obs that works for the raspberry pi b3?

I’m waiting for my pie to come so I can try to make a pstv and remove the laptop middle man

7. xerpi
    OP

xerpi GBAtemp Regular

Dec 25, 2011
    Barcelona
    I recommend mplayer on Linux (there's also VLC, mpv, etc).

Lineacero and cvskid like this.
  8. Chrisssj2

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    Works but the audio is crackling/beeing very much. Which sucks :(
    Video performance really good! Great work!!!

9. xerpi
    OP

xerpi GBAtemp Regular

Dec 25, 2011
    Barcelona
    Disable USB power supply (Settings > System) to fix the audio noise.

Lineacero and cvskid like this.
  10. easyonme

easyonme Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2016
    United States
    @xerpi

First of I wanted to say that everything you do is amazing work!! I read on reddit, where I'm a mere lurker, that this plugin is supposed to work on Android devices as well, as long as the app one uses supports UVC. I've tried, since around release 0.4 of the plugin, down to the most current version, probably over 20 different android apps that claim to support UVC, but I have yet to find one that actually displays anything (while they all work fine when plugging an actual external USB Webcam). A good number of them will detect the connection, pull identifiers like Name and Resolution, but none will actually output an image. I was wondering if you could point me to an Android app that you know it will work (I saw you mentioned VLC when asked about Android on reddit, but for me at least, VLC doesn't support any kind of external cam, unlike it's desktop counterpart).

Since I saw your first release of this plugin I've been wishing to pipe it into my GearVR using Samsung PhoneCast to play me some Vita on a giant screen :-P

Hopefully this Android gap can be bridged!

I also wanted to ask you if it would be possible (at least theoretically) to make it work on a PSTV so to be able to use a PC as an external monitor, in place of an HDMI TV/Display. I know the USB on the PSTV is different than on a Vita, but maybe a server app on the desktop can work some magic in that direction?

Well, anyway, have a great weekend and keep up the great work!

Cheers,

Last edited by easyonme, Sep 1, 2018
    Darksabre72 likes this.
  11. xerpi
    OP

xerpi GBAtemp Regular

Dec 25, 2011
    Barcelona
    Just updated the post with the latest version 1.2 :lol:

sage3k, thaikhoa, Voxel and 4 others like this.
  12. sage3k

sage3k Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Thank you for the update, the plugin was working great before and now does not. the PSVitaDock v4 no longer detects my vita when I connect the USB cable. when I use vitashell and have it connect via USB, it works fine. I have disabled USB charging and it has not rectified the issue. A new thing.. when I enable the plugin, the Vita will not boot. When I disable it, it boots as it's modified usual Anything you can suggest to help rectify this?