Hacking [RELEASE] PSVita USB streaming (UVC - USB Video Class)

xerpi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What's this?

This is a kernel plugin that lets you stream your PSVita screen to your computer via USB.

List of supported video modes:
  • 960x544 @ 30 FPS and (around) 60 FPS
  • 896x504 @ 30 FPS and 60 FPS
  • 864x488 @ 30 FPS and 60 FPS
  • 480x272 @ 30 FPS and 60 FPS
Download:
Installation:
  1. Copy udcd_uvc.skprx to your PSVita
  2. Add udcd_uvc.skprx to taiHEN's config (ur0:/tai/config.txt or ux0:/tai/config.txt):
    Code:
    *KERNEL
    ur0:tai/udcd_uvc.skprx
  3. Reboot your PSVita.
  4. Open a video/cam player on your PC (such as the ones mentioned above).
Usage

If the video looks glitched, try to change the video player configuration to use the NV12 format or switch to another player (like PotPlayer, KMPlayer or OBS).
If you use Windows 10 you might have to change the Camera access permissions on the Privacy Settings.
On Linux I recommend using mpv (mpv tv:// --tv-device=/dev/videoX --tv-width=960 --tv-height=544) or mplayer (mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/videoX:width=960:height=544).

Audio noise fix
:
  • Disable USB power supply (Settings > System)
Download:

Note: Remember that if anything goes wrong (like PSVita not booting) you can always press L at boot to skip plugin loading.

Note 2: No, it doesn't stream audio. For that use a 3.5mm jack to jack adapter (a ferrite bead might help reduce the electromagnetic noise). Disabling USB charging from Settings might also help reducing the noise.

Last edited by xerpi,

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
A bit of a bump, but since I don't have a reddit account I want to say it here

Using 1.1 works perfectly, but I found some bugs:

-Acessing the Camera and Gallery app freezes the display until you exit it

-LittleBigPlanet PSVita edition gives me an error when searches for Wifi networks and kicks me back to livearea

Reactions: The_Dizzy_Vizzy

scott0bloke

Trophies
XP
Country
Does any one reckon this could support streaming to raspberry pie 3b using another application other than obs that works for the raspberry pi b3?

I’m waiting for my pie to come so I can try to make a pstv and remove the laptop middle man

xerpi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Does any one reckon this could support streaming to raspberry pie 3b using another application other than obs that works for the raspberry pi b3?

I’m waiting for my pie to come so I can try to make a pstv and remove the laptop middle man
I recommend mplayer on Linux (there's also VLC, mpv, etc).

easyonme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@xerpi

First of I wanted to say that everything you do is amazing work!! I read on reddit, where I'm a mere lurker, that this plugin is supposed to work on Android devices as well, as long as the app one uses supports UVC. I've tried, since around release 0.4 of the plugin, down to the most current version, probably over 20 different android apps that claim to support UVC, but I have yet to find one that actually displays anything (while they all work fine when plugging an actual external USB Webcam). A good number of them will detect the connection, pull identifiers like Name and Resolution, but none will actually output an image. I was wondering if you could point me to an Android app that you know it will work (I saw you mentioned VLC when asked about Android on reddit, but for me at least, VLC doesn't support any kind of external cam, unlike it's desktop counterpart).

Since I saw your first release of this plugin I've been wishing to pipe it into my GearVR using Samsung PhoneCast to play me some Vita on a giant screen :-P

Hopefully this Android gap can be bridged!

I also wanted to ask you if it would be possible (at least theoretically) to make it work on a PSTV so to be able to use a PC as an external monitor, in place of an HDMI TV/Display. I know the USB on the PSTV is different than on a Vita, but maybe a server app on the desktop can work some magic in that direction?

Well, anyway, have a great weekend and keep up the great work!

Cheers,

Last edited by easyonme,
Reactions: Darksabre72

sage3k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the update, the plugin was working great before and now does not. the PSVitaDock v4 no longer detects my vita when I connect the USB cable. when I use vitashell and have it connect via USB, it works fine. I have disabled USB charging and it has not rectified the issue. A new thing.. when I enable the plugin, the Vita will not boot. When I disable it, it boots as it's modified usual Anything you can suggest to help rectify this?

cybercuate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Edit:
forgot to put the url of the mod

Original:
I tested a mod of this and it works better. It pushes the usb bandwidth to up to 320 mbps and 57 fps all the time
in comparisson this uses only up to 309 mbps and at 896 x 504 it gets up to 54 (some 56 peaks, most of the time below 54) fps.

in summary: @896x504 on usb 2.0
PSVita USB streaming(original 1.2)
bandwidth: (up to) 309mbps
fps: (below) 54

PSVita USB streamingMOD
https://gbatemp.net/threads/mod-60-...ing-uvc-usb-video-class-limit-to-504p.514185/
bandwidth: (up to) 320mbps
fps: 57

@ahappylife201x thanks for the mod, it really helps me for streaming my vita games for $0 solution

Can we have a 1.3 version with 896x504@60fps on USB 3.0??? (maybe 2.0@>400mbps?)

Last edited by cybercuate,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can we have a 1.3 version with 896x504@60fps on USB 3.0??? (maybe 2.0@>400mbps?)

I doubt 3.0 will make a difference as psvita is usb 2.0, which has a theoretical maximum of 480mb/s.

It might not be possible to hit the maximum, it depends on quite a few factors.

CrossOut

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Any help with my problem would be great here. So I have it all set up right? and I have this line in my config.txt file under kernel, ur0:tai/udcd_uvc_oled_off.skprx since I am using an oled vita. for the life of me this will not work. I have a few questions, does the plug in have an icon on your vita when you install it? Is it a problem with my computer not detecing my vita? I hear the noise to indicate that it is connected when i plug it in however, the vita does not show up as a hard drive,maybe this is the problem? All my other programs are working like vitacheat and so on. In the tai folder under ur0 I also have the skprx file, so it is in the right place.

xerpi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Any help with my problem would be great here. So I have it all set up right? and I have this line in my config.txt file under kernel, ur0:tai/udcd_uvc_oled_off.skprx since I am using an oled vita. for the life of me this will not work. I have a few questions, does the plug in have an icon on your vita when you install it? Is it a problem with my computer not detecing my vita? I hear the noise to indicate that it is connected when i plug it in however, the vita does not show up as a hard drive,maybe this is the problem? All my other programs are working like vitacheat and so on. In the tai folder under ur0 I also have the skprx file, so it is in the right place.
Check this: https://github.com/xerpi/vita-udcd-uvc/issues/41

CrossOut

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You are a life saver! haha. For months I could not get this to work it turns out that I have to plug the vita into one the usb ports at the back of the computer. I had no clue to try different usb ports . it is always a really simple problem isnt it? That bit about the differnt usb ports needs to be said more as I wonder if it could fix a lot of other peoples problems?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse