GBARunner2

By Gericom, Dec 4, 2016 739,981 3,299 104

1. DarthMotzkus

DarthMotzkus GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Hello everyone!
    I bought recently a R4i SDHC Gold Pro (2019v) flashcart, and today i put the GBARunner2 to work via YSMenu (after booting the R4 Original Kernel).
    I foud the DS ARM7 and the DS ARM9 builds both works fine. The 3DS and DSi builds stuck in SCFG Locked error screen.
    So, wich one is the best build and better compatibility? ARM7 or ARM9? Wich should i use?
    Thanks for your attention.

2. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL
    Developer

United States
    Use the DS ARM9 build. Use the ARM7 build, if ARM9 doesn't work.
    The 3DS and DSi builds only work on DSi mode flashcards, as well as the console's SD card.

Tarmfot, alexander1970, Zense and 2 others like this.
  3. DarthMotzkus

Brazil
    Sure thing, thanks man.
    Just another question: Is there any method to prevent the flickering/mirroring screen wich appears in the bottom of the screen (sometimes it's there, and sometimes it doesn't)? It's very annoying and maybe I gonna wait for more compatibility with the roms, and a less bugs/glitchs build of GBARunner2.

alexander1970 and banjo2 like this.
  4. Zense

Zense GBARunner2 config: Touch the touchscreen + press R

Italy
    Any game in particular you're talking about? I'd advice you to check the compatibility list for DS to see if there's anything you can do
    https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/GBARunner2

banjo2 and alexander1970 like this.
  5. DarthMotzkus

Brazil
    All the games i tried, that mirroring/flickering screen appears in the bottom of the screen just after the bios "game boy" logo disappear. Sometimes it doesn't show at all, it's totally random.
    Played Golden Sun 1 and Mario & Luigi (the second freezes at the moment a battle begin).
    I just drop it, GBARunner2 need so much yet to be a perfect emulator like Mgba or Visual Boy. Gonna keep playing GBA on my Nintendo Wii via MGBA, hooked up on my CRT via component cable. Still the best option for me. But i gonna keep an eye in this project, load GBA games on my R4 in 3DS's screen it's so nice! Sadly the emulator has a lot of problems. Hope they improve it soon.

Last edited by DarthMotzkus, Jul 22, 2020
  6. Zense

Italy
    Okay so it seems you're talking about the twlbg bug that is actually caused by Nintendo's own code and can also happen when playing DS games through normal game carts. GBARunner2 triggers it more since a certain build which I can't remember which was exactly right now. Still, measures are being looked into if this bug on Nintendo's side can be rectified.

7. DarthMotzkus

Brazil
    I see. I own some others NDS American cartridges here and played a lot (including hours and hours of the Zelda games), NEVER EVER see this problem in my 3DS, just appear in GBARunner2.
    The roms i tested is both European and American regions, and seems doesn't matter wich region it is, the bug still happens.

8. Zense

Italy
    Yes, whenever you're in twlfirm/dsmode you can get this bug, be it GBARunner2, Twilightmenu++ or a gamecart/flashcart. As you've noticed some things tick it off more than others. Can't remember what retail gamecarts I've experienced it in myself. Might've been my Dragon Quest IX gamecart. Normally entering and exiting sleep mode will get rid of it, but GBARunner2 doesn't support that yet.

Chainhunter, wariobar, Robz8 and 2 others like this.
  9. Thingley

Thingley Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    That bug doesnt seem to affect GBArunner at all for me if I disable scaling by starting Twilight menu with the start button held down. Despite the screen being a bit small it probably is the best way to try out a directory full of GBA games on the 3DS. Once I've loaded GBA runner, it doesn't take forever to switch between games (like retroarch), slowdown (mGBA) or hose battery life (any emulator).

So for browsing games, GBArunner is great. The superinjector is better at the moment for those games you want to seriously play through.

wariobar likes this.
  10. Luis_Beast673

Luis_Beast673 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Very cool, even better when you use gbarunner2 forwarder :)

Thingley and Zense like this.
  11. justjack

justjack GBAtemp Regular

Chile
    Can you share the forwarder?

Edit: Or if anybody else has one...

Last edited by justjack, Jul 30, 2020
  12. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

i came here to solve a problem but this thread helped me solve a completely different issue with my DSI. thanks!

13. YukidaruPunch

YukidaruPunch GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I just installed Twilight Menu ++ on my very, very old DS Lite solely so I could use it as a GBA machine - I always found that pixel-perfect on the 3DS looks a tad too small in my eyes.

It's so funny because back in those days, we all wanted to be able to play GBA games using a Slot-1 flashcart and everybody thought it was pretty much impossible. Now, something like 15 years later, suddently I can. It's funny, to say the least.

Might as well replay Mother 3 again.

14. Zense

Italy
    Just an fyi Mother 3 does not work (yet hopefully!). Check out the compatibility list to know what games work:
    https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/GBARunner2#Compatibility_list

Mother1+2 MIGHT work though I can't remember.

Also since you have a 3ds you should consider running it there via twilightmenu++ to get better compatibility.

Imo it looks good in TWL-/DS-mode which is what GBARunner2 is run in.

Last edited by Zense, Aug 4, 2020
  15. Polochamps

Polochamps Member
    Newcomer

Philippines
    But I can run gba games without Unlaunch/HiyaCFW. I'm just using the TWiLight menu. With regard to running GBA games, am I missing some feature without Unlaunch/HiyaCFW?

16. Sunuku

Sunuku ಠ_ಠ

Sweden
    If this question has already been answered, sorry. But will there be a feature to use cheat codes?

alexander1970 likes this.
  17. alexander1970

Austria
    No,sorry,Cheats are still not present/implemented.:)

18. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL
    Developer

United States
    Sound emulation is better.

Tarmfot, Zense, Polochamps and 2 others like this.
  19. basnijhof01

basnijhof01 Newbie
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    Hi guys, I recently started playing Pokemon Ruby on my 2ds via Twilightmenu and gbarunner2. It all worked fine, I saved and shut down my 2ds. Like half an hour later, when I wanted to play again it didn't work. I could start up twilight menu and select the rom, Gbarunner2 started up, I think, but then the screen becomes black and stays black. I can't open the gbarunner2 menu when touching the bottom screen, nothing works. I can't play any other gba games (nds and gb games work fine). Does anyone know what happend?

20. Gericom

OP Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Did you use the skip bios intro option? That can cause issues sometimes. I think you can turn it off from twilightmenu, and otherwise delete the settings file from the _gba folder

Robz8, banjo2, basnijhof01 and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - GBARunner2,