Hacking Gateway will fix any bricked 3DS for free, as long as you're not lying!

Relenting

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hey welcome to your second week at GBATemp.
Glad you are enjoying it.
I see all your posts but one are from the last 36 hours but glad to know you are judge and jury here.
Just look at your posts:

http://gbatemp.net/members/osirisjem.280384/
You talk about nothing else. And of course someone associated with a 3DS flashcart company would have an older account here. In fact, why wouldn't he.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
think im gonna take a step back out of this mess, but lets just say, if gateway did indeed intend to brick consoles just for lols, and their code still isnt 100% understood, is it not possible that part of the process for bricking is copying the launcher file or payload over the original nand then locking it, so if they recieve a console they use more advanced tools to restore access to the nand, check out which launcher file was used, if its a known clone/modded firmware just re-lock the nand, and reject the users claims, if on the otherhand the launcher is indeed the official gateway launcher they restore the nand and re-evaluate their decision to include the bricking code, im sure right now they will be making 100%(well 99.9% as there's no such thing as 100% in these situations) but basically just making sure they didn't overlook something

yeah the whole thing is a bloody mess and i agree with both sides to a certain degree, i do favor gateway though as they didn't include any bricking code until the clones refused to stop copying, pretty much everyone who gets hit can blame it primarily on the clones.....if they had done their own work gateway wouldn't of got pissed and included the code and everyone would be fine right now...except the clone manufacturer who would still be scratching his head on where to start

this doesn't absolve gateway of all blame but surely everyone can see gateway didnt just include it from the outset just to be douch bags the code was obviously added as a last resort to stop the clones stealing their code, and before anyone starts with the "its ironic that a piracy ........" yeah its ironic.....hypocritical and all that stuff but you can pretty much guarantee that if Nintendo or others who are dealing with people coping their work could get away with it without being sued you can be *spiritually:sleep: * damn sure they would jump on it.

Reactions: joby419

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You talk about nothing else. And of course someone associated with a 3DS flashcart company would have an older account here. In fact, why wouldn't he.

OMG.
Uz gotz meeez.
I work for Gateway.
Awesome detective work
You rulezzz ...

I like your strategy .... when you can't attack the message ... attack the messenger.

FWIW ... when I say r4 sucks what I really mean is ...

R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe
3DSLink
Orange 3DS
MT-Card

suck.

I said "r4 sucks" is because I don't want to type that whole mess all the time.

I made a 3DS comparison chart I am sure you'll like.

gbatemp-comparison-of-3ds-flashcarts-jpg.5931

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is how I see it. If you truthfully never used a clone or altered any of the files from gateways official download link you should spend te $20 to ship them your bricked 3ds. It's currently worth nothing bricked and there's only two outcomes.

1. Gateway is good on their word and fixes your 3ds. They'll also learn that their firmware is faulty and can fix it for future releases which in turn helps everyone using their hardware. This saves you the cost of buying a new system as well.

2. Gateway doesn't fix it and you're out $20 for shipping.(remember your 3ds is worth nothing bricked) everyone also learns that gateway is not to be trusted anymore.

If you are lying about modifying or using a clone then there is no point sending it in. You are only guaranteeing the loss of more money

Kallo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This seems to me to be a delaying tactic. If you send them your bricked 3DS they can sit on it for at least a month(especially since it first has to go through the original vendor). By then this consumer panic will be over and if Gateway has released 2.0, in particular if it does not contain the bricking code, no one will care about the people who got screwed anymore, and Gateway may or may not just claim all those 3DS's sent in were not their responsibility. Bonus if they get a cool $100 if for some reason you actually want your 3DS+gateway back, since China->US shipping doesn't cost even close to that.

Relenting

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
OMG.
Uz gotz meeez.
I work for Gateway.
Awesome detective work
You rulezzz ...

I like your strategy .... when you can't attack the message ... attack the messenger.

R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe
3DSLink
Orange 3DS
MT-Card

suck.

Plus you just stated before that you don't even own a Gateway 3DS. So, we have a someone, who's a bit crazy for the product, and who doesn't even own the product, doing stuff like this. It boggles the mind.

Reactions: frown and NEP

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait did they just say they will charge you a 100 dollars and send you back a still bricked console if you used another launcher? The opening post makes it sound so!

pedreters2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is how I see it. If you truthfully never used a clone or altered any of the files from gateways official download link you should spend te $20 to ship them your bricked 3ds. It's currently worth nothing bricked and there's only two outcomes.

1. Gateway is good on their word and fixes your 3ds. They'll also learn that their firmware is faulty and can fix it for future releases which in turn helps everyone using their hardware. This saves you the cost of buying a new system as well.

2. Gateway doesn't fix it and you're out $20 for shipping.(remember your 3ds is worth nothing bricked) everyone also learns that gateway is not to be trusted anymore.

If you are lying about modifying or using a clone then there is no point sending it in. You are only guaranteeing the loss of more money

I would add another one:

2.1. Gateway doesn't fix it and you're out $20 for shipping.(remember your 3ds is worth nothing bricked). They claim you used a clone, and you have no way to prove/disprove it. Some people will believe you, some people won't. We are back to square one.

sergster1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OMG.
Uz gotz meeez.
I work for Gateway.
Awesome detective work
You rulezzz ...

R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe
3DSLink
Orange 3DS
MT-Card

suck.

I think I speak for everyone when I say we're getting really tired of you constant bullshit. For the past few days you've listened to everything but reason and constantly defend Gateway to death. This whole debacle is Gateways fault. You know why? They willingly put code in their firmware that they knew would cause someone's console to be bricked. Thats fucking horrible.

You know what else? You keep on saying that "R4i should have tested their software". Heres the thing. Notice how everyone's consoles started to get bricked all around the same time? Do you not THINK that gateway (seeing as they're ballsy enough to do this) would have had coded the brick to begin happening after a certain datetime requirement was met? (which was around tuesday based on when reports started coming in). Also it was nearly impossible for the clone manufacturers and even Normatt to see every piece of the code that would cause bricking. This is because from the last update they included a CPU emulator in the LOADER.dat that obfuscated their code when it ran (if you dont know what it means look it up). Meaning that even if they did see some of the code that could cause bricking there might have been other bits of code that could cause the brick regardless.

Then you say that if you use official gateway cards that you have "ZERO Chance of bricking" which was proven false today by users like Apolloooo and people from other forums. Gateways code is NOT failsafe and shouldn't have been put in the first place. There are other alternatives to combating dare I say Piracy of Pirate carts. Look at what nintendo does for example in their anti-piracy. They make the game unstable, no load, and corrupt saves. Have they ever bricked a console over a single pirated game which is in their right to do so as its stated in their TOS of which YOU agreed to whenever you update your console and when you bought your console in the first place. No they haven't. But you know what? I bet that you would be the first ones complaining "BAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW Nintendo bricked my console give me a new one!!!!!!!" but aren't then using the same tactics that Gateway is? Hell doesn't Nintendo have the RIGHT and also the RESPONSIBILITY to prevent people like you from pirating their games?

I'm not saying what the clone manufacturers did was right and I even agree that Normatt is also somewhat at fault for releasing his region free patch knowing that Gateway had some sort of kill code even if he thought he patched it out but you CANNOT completely absolve Gateway from fault.

TL;DR: Get your head out of your ass. Nobody here is saying that what the R4i team did was right but Gateway isnt right aswell for what they did.

EDIT: Also you're better off buying a new 3DS than sending your 3DS to gateway. You're literally giving them your 3DS as hostage if you do as nothing can force them to send you your 3DS back for free if they deem that you used a clone cart even if you didnt. Also I'd be wary of trusting the Gateway team considering a few hours ago they referred to you as "cheap Chinese laborers hired by clone manufacturers to tarnish the oh so sacred Gateway name"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: New Orange Pi 🥰