Hacking Gateway on old 3DS ran Smash fine previously, now on latest version no such luck

petrieslastword

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to run Smash Bros 3DS just fine before updating recently on my old 3DS, now that I am on the 3DS XL downgraded running the latest firmware, every time I try to boot the game, I get a black screen and have to do a hard reset. Google told me my SD card needed at least 1.5GB free (the one in the 3DS itself) which I have made sure is the case, but that hasn't helped at all. Any idea what else might be making this not function properly?

Could the CIA of 1.4 update I installed be the issue?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
when you set up emunand it takes up 1GB on the SD card, so unless your SD is 4GB or more, you cant play smash bros and have emunand....actually unless your on sysnand 7.x+ you cant play smashbros without emunand either

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
you don't you just need to set up emunand and update to at least 7.x....hmmm the OP suggests you already done that....strange, you can delete the update to confirm its not that by going into data management in emunand and deleting it

petrieslastword

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then it's not that, black screen, check emunand version. Check if the rom is faulty and check your microsd if you are using gateway card, or probably a faulty CIA if it's installed.

I have used this ROM previously without a problem.

have you updated emunand to at least 7.x?

I have no idea how I would know that for sure.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you elaborate or link me to something that makes it clear?

After you enter Gateway mode, go into system settings. If you see "GW3D" infront of the Version number, you have emunand set up. The emunand needs to be at least 8.1 for smash to work. The latest system version is 9.4.0-21.

petrieslastword

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That guide was extremely simplistic. If you can't understand that, you shouldn't be messing with emuNAND.

I mean it's easy enough for me to backup and use emunand, but I can't understand how to update it beyond 4.2.0, which is what I'm currently on. I was on 4.5 on my old 3DS and had no issue running Smash there.

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
turn your 3ds completely off, turn it on again and go into emunand. from emunand home, open your system settings and first check if GW3D is there before the version number.

from here just follow standard procedure to update your 3ds, because you are in an emulated nand (all the read and write operations get redirected to your SD card) you will not update your systems own nand but the copy you have on your SD which you see now :P.

D

Deleted User

turn your 3ds completely off, turn it on again and go into emunand. from emunand home, open your system settings and first check if GW3D is there before the version number.

from here just follow standard procedure to update your 3ds, because you are in an emulated nand (all the read and write operations get redirected to your SD card) you will not update your systems own nand but the copy you have on your SD which you see now :P.
This is right. Just remember when you leave settings it will go back to NAND not emuNAND. So don't accidentally exit settings, go back in, and then update because they will update your NAND. Make sure it says GW3D and then update straight away.

Reactions: Quincy

codychaosx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonyusa has a really good guide over on Maxconsole on how to use gateway ultra,create and update emunand, as well as how to downgrade to 4.x. It has pics too which is nice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1