Old firmware versions - preservation?

Masejoer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I picked up an original 3DS recently and it has firmware 2.2. Is there any reason, in the case of preservation, to keep such an old firmware around? Sure it has a different UI, but is there any reason to not update it?

I started collecting some old consoles, and would prefer to keep things in good and original condition for preservation (but it must allow use/play - no ornaments), but I'm not sure if there's any value in having an ancient version of the system installed.

If not, I'll just update to 11.x and go from there.

I haven't had any luck in online research for firmware version/desirability.

Edit:
I already have a "New 3DS XL" in near mint condition, on the latest firmware. Still not sure if there's any reason to leave the original 3DS on version 2.2.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I picked up an original 3DS recently and it has firmware 2.2. Is there any reason, in the case of preservation, to keep such an old firmware around? Sure it has a different UI, but is there any reason to not update it?

I started collecting some old consoles, and would prefer to keep things in good and original condition for preservation (but it must allow use/play - no ornaments), but I'm not sure if there's any value in having an ancient version of the system installed.

Edit:
I already have a "New 3DS XL" in near mint condition, on the latest firmware. Still not sure if there's any reason to leave the original 3DS on version 2.2.
There absolutely no reason to keep old fw

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic

Edit:
The title mentions preservation. If that's your goal, you might be interested that archive.org actually has most of the firmwares as cia files. 2.2 is missing though.

Masejoer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For sure the newer firmware seems much more polished than 2.2.

Hoping to also find a New 2DS XL in excellent condition - seems like a homebrew beast, and much easier SD card access.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night