Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
This may have been asked before, but can retail carts from other regions be played in Gateway mode? I ask because, although it released in April, MapleStory 3DS has yet to be dumped.

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may have been asked before, but can retail carts from other regions be played in Gateway mode? I ask because, although it released in April, MapleStory 3DS has yet to be dumped.

no, only the red gateway card works in gateway mode

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But it's not a kernel at all, it's static data that the flash cart presents to the DSi/3DS.
http://hackmii.com/2010/02/lawsuit-coming-in-3-2-1/

Whereas something like Wood is much more like a kernel, in that it's the software that runs, manages the cart, and then bootstraps other software (and patches the other software to run on the hardware).

Which is why I didn't think you knew the relation and thought that Wood would fix the issue.

That said, good luck on a firmware update for one cart on another. We've never seen it outside of direct hardware clones (just a sticker change)... but if it was a direct hardware clone it wouldn't need hacked wood. :P

Well one thing we can agree on is their poor use of terminology on this website...lol. I sort of suspect the blue card is a direct hardware clone of the r4i gold card featured on the link I povided, if not the actual card that gateway just bought in bulk and 'rebranded'. Why would gateway go to all the trouble to create their own DS cart or firmware/software when so many are readily available and can be purchased super cheap in bulk??? See my point. That is why a sight inspection of the circuit board will tell us a lot because if it is a match for the diagram of the r4i gold card then it is likely that card and the 'firmware' update file will likely work....or not, but that is part of the fun. Trust me I will proceed with caution because I do not have a history of bricking things and if the circuit board does not match the diagram of the r4i gold card then I will not try forcing their firmware upgrade on it. I just find it very unlikely that gateway created their own r4i clone cause like I said why go thru the trouble when you can just bulk purchase one out there and change the sticker and the splash screens in the wood directories and whamo you have your own card. To your point the trick is what r4i clone are they using if they are and can we find a mathcing firmware update file. Hell maybe they are using an old r4i design/card (a pre 2013 version) that can not be udpated to work on 5.x/6.x.....that would seem short sighted but if they ever get the red card working with 5.x/6.x then they could just bundle a different DS card if theirs can't be udpated.

Not even sure why any consumer would intentionally buy an r4 clone when the authentic ones are like less than $20. Thing is r4 seems to be not much better than the cloners in that they release new card hardware every year and force you to purchase it if you want new firmware support. That is why IMO Supercard is the best company because they really support their products for the long run....I have waxed on in other threads about how great the SuperCard SD slot 2 series cards were because they were designed for GBA and then were supported for DS use thru 2010 and rom 4xxx. I mean Supercard could have cut support the minute they put out a slot 1 card but didn't. The DS2 is a great card that always has the first 3DS firmware fix out and has the best cheat/rts/emulator/media support. My only complaint is the extra onboard hardware does seem to give a noticeable hit to battery life when compared to the simpler DS slot 1 cards.

I guess one other worthwhlie question is has anyone actually tried the blue geateway card in a 5.1/6.0/6.2 3DS?

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, like emo said, retail carts don't work in Gateway mode. You'd have to reboot the 3DS first, which gets rid of the exploit. You'll have to wait until it gets dumped or get another console.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Im pretty sure the blue card was confirmed working on upto 6.1, dunno about 6.2

Can the blue card run DS home brew ?
YES :- The bundled blue ds card, is in essence a standard DS cart capable of both DS backups and home brew for DS mode, tested to work on 6.1

And i think the spoofer just patches so it returns the valid response for firmware check, regardless of version, not have a hardcoded 6.2 or whatever and didnt Devin say rebooting doesnt get rid of the exploit, only booting into ds mode does.. Regardless it would make sense for them to patch out retails working, or you could just install the installer put launcher on sd card and go, not needing anything from them at all

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im pretty sure the blue card was confirmed working on upto 6.1, dunno about 6.2

Can the blue card run DS home brew ?
YES :- The bundled blue ds card, is in essence a standard DS cart capable of both DS backups and home brew for DS mode, tested to work on 6.1

And i think the spoofer just patches so it returns the valid response for firmware check, regardless of version, not have a hardcoded 6.2 or whatever and didnt Devin say rebooting doesnt get rid of the exploit, only booting into ds mode does.. Regardless it would make sense for them to patch out retails working, or you could just install the installer put launcher on sd card and go, not needing anything from them at all
Booting does get rid of the exploit. That is why you must redo it every time you turn your console on.

HackScene

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be cool if the GW team made a cart that enables you to put in a game from another region and make it work on your system that obviously wouldn't be from that region.

A lot like this.
feature-action-replay-dsi.jpg

You would bypass the region lock without having to steal a game if you import one. This could help them so they don't only look like a piracy company.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
How does updating with the GW work? The two carts obviously don't have a usb port, so how is it done?
I assume the same way updating on all the other flash carts with no USB port is done? They distribute a ROM file you run that updates the cart.

Reactions: tjexp

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume the same way updating on all the other flash carts with no USB port is done? They distribute a ROM file you run that updates the cart.

So far updates have just been replacing the launcher.dat file on the 3DS' SD card. We've yet to see an actual update to the card itself as the launcher.dat is simply the exploit itself. Which is launched when you go into the 3DS' settings.

Reactions: tjexp and Rydian

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What fw does the spoofer "spoof"? 5.1? I mean, does the spoofer make the 3ds believe it's on 5.1 even though it really is on 4.5? Or another fw version?
It doesn't provide a version number.
When the 3DS checks the firmware version it invoke a function which returns if an update is needed or not.
Gateway always return "no update needed" when this function is accessed.

About playing Retail card from another region, someone asked Gateway team if they could add this features, they said they will see later (not a priority) and they added it to the user's wish list.
Maybe if they have a lot of request the priority will become higher.

tsubasata1109

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's look like the Gateway staff very busy these days, I send them an email 5 days ago and they still didn't answer. Maybe they are working on support 5.x and 6.x, maybe even working on making homebrew :yay:

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be nice if they would allow you to run 'retail' carts in the gateway mode for a few good reasons.

1. The version spoof.....this way you could run original carts that need higher than 4.5.
2. Region spoof.....If you want to go to the effort to import a game you can run official carts from other regions.
3. Save game dumping.......That way you could dump a save game from an official cart to a .sav file on the 3DS SD card and load it back into the Red gateway cart.

I'm sure all that would be possible if they 'tweaked' their code to allow official carts to run in gateway mode. We likely won't see those features any time soon as I am sure getting 5.x/6.x and unsigned code running are much higher priorities for them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1