Homebrew GameYob 3DS - GB/C emu

Da_GPer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed that if you set up a Game Boy BIOS and then quit, the next time you run the emulator, when you pick a game, the 3DS crashes, forcing you to turn off the system. After looking at the gameyob.ini file, I found that the emulator has put the Game Boy Color BIOS as both BIOS files. After changing the info in the ini file, I was able to use the emulator again.

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Games like Mickey's Dangerous Chase, Talespin and others (like DuckTales and Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle) don't have coloured palettes (as like with the original NDS version).

Also... the paddle in Alleyway is still broken!!! :lol:

D

Deleted User

Games like Mickey's Dangerous Chase, Talespin and others (like DuckTales and Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle) don't have coloured palettes (as like with the original NDS version).

Also... the paddle in Alleyway is still broken!!! :lol:
Noted.
I noticed that if you set up a Game Boy BIOS and then quit, the next time you run the emulator, when you pick a game, the 3DS crashes, forcing you to turn off the system. After looking at the gameyob.ini file, I found that the emulator has put the Game Boy Color BIOS as both BIOS files. After changing the info in the ini file, I was able to use the emulator again.
This should be fixed now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms1kes4jhrb3meg/gameyob.zip?dl=1

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What's the deal with the sound crackling anyway? Isn't the 3DS running at 60hz? I know GameBoy runs at 59.7Hz... Is that the reason why? If so how does VC does it? I imagine they just sync everything to 60Hz right?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
What's the deal with the sound crackling anyway? Isn't the 3DS running at 60hz? I know GameBoy runs at 59.7Hz... Is that the reason why? If so how does VC does it? I imagine they just sync everything to 60Hz right?

This is even more complicated. Sound is handled with CSND service, which isn't optimal for sound streams. BlargSnes works perfectly fine since it relies upon a precise timing, but I think Gameyob can not do it yet since people who worked on it hasn't found a better method to get a precise sound timing with CSND buffers.
For what I understood, I might be wrong though.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
BlargSnes have it's own problems with sound, though I dunno if it come of the new sound quality. Most games which don't work are because the SPC (SNES sound) is not perfectly synched.

For example, Zelda 3 was working with 1.2, but not with 1.3 (which is where the new sound got implemented if I'm right).

Personally, I don't think I heard any crackling (at least, nothing enough big to say "wow, the sound is pretty bad" as I know GameBoy sound isn't perfect) so it probably doesn't impact a lot of people.

But I never use speakers, so it might also be why I don't really hear them a lot.

pokemoner2500

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know if this only affects SteveIce's version but whenever I go to the home menu (using CIA) and come back the top screen goes black and stays black. I can save state and reload just fine (I have to restart GameYob) but still a little annoying.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That was due to changes in the SPC timing, wasn't related to the sound changes that I know of.

Which is why I suppose the sound change might have modified the SPC timing (if it take more time for example).

Don't know if this only affects SteveIce's version but whenever I go to the home menu (using CIA) and come back the top screen goes black and stays black. I can save state and reload just fine (I have to restart GameYob) but still a little annoying.

It's a known bug not fixed yet. For now, just need to avoid going to the home menu and then go back to the emulator.

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The emulator now refuses to load when it tries to read gameyob.ini, works fine on first boot though.

Although... it seems to be a common problem as of late, when something is either added or changed with regards to the settings.

D

Deleted User

The emulator now refuses to load when it tries to read gameyob.ini, works fine on first boot though.

Although... it seems to be a common problem as of late, when something is either added or changed with regards to the settings.

Did you fix the gbbiospath in your config again before launching with the update?

Also, can you send me your INI to test with?

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did fix the gbbiospath and all i got was a black screen. Then i deleted the setting file (gameyob.ini) and redid all my settings, restarted and then got the same result.

I've sent you my settings file anyway...

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Just thought of a silly feature you could add for shits and giggles if you felt like it: use the 3d depth slider to simulate the contrast dial on the original gameboy, to vary the degree of yellow/green/blackness in mono mode.
I like the idea :grog: that would be cool.

Reactions: prototech

Jim_e

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just thought of a silly feature you could add for shits and giggles if you felt like it: use the 3d depth slider to simulate the contrast dial on the original gameboy, to vary the degree of yellow/green/blackness in mono mode.
That sound neat, I decided to give it a try.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19691273/GameYob/gameyob_contrast.zip
This is just to get a feel for it, it doesn't discriminate against color or mono and there are no options to disable. But this is just for shits and giggles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • NinStar
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, which one of your brothers?