Hacking Gamecube to Classic Controller Converter 2 questions

bezem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally don't need a Home Button combination; as you said it is easy enough to press it on the WiiMote. This just occurred to me though - what about the minus button? I can't really think of anything that requires it beyond zoom in/out or using it in place of the 'Select' button, so I don't think I'd miss it. Just curious if you had thought about it (again, not as a priority but as a curiosity).

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
The current code just doesn't map the minus button at all for GC controllers. I know for SNES controllers, it's mapped to Select. My personal preference is to remove Home button combos, so unless anybody objects, that's what I'm going to do.

Reactions: bezem

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Looks like DHL was worth the money. I got shipping confirmation yesterday, and they've already made it stateside from China, cleared customs in LA, and made it to the main Oregon distribution center, which means I might have them by tomorrow. :D

Yuzo Morisaki 91

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The current code just doesn't map the minus button at all for GC controllers. I know for SNES controllers, it's mapped to Select. My personal preference is to remove Home button combos, so unless anybody objects, that's what I'm going to do.

Hi there! I'll begin by saying that I registered just to say how I like the way this project has evolved. Also, I'm afraid I'll have a hard time typing in English, I'm sorry if my posts will read weird or uneasy to understand.

Anyway, I'm going to suggest this. I know there's no need to map unneeded combos, with the risk of conflicting commands. Nevertheless, loosing supported inputs sounds way worse.
I was an enthusiast GameCube player and can for sure tell you that the start button never went farther its click-to-pause function. I never remember any editors asking to hold start for any kind of feature, nor did any game EVER use it in a gameplay control scheme (which could actually lead to player to misclick the remapped combo).

Different story, maybe, for homebrew with GameCube controller support (which I never tried) and for low level installations who require GCC/Wii front buttons to overcome the main interface (Bluetooth Wiimote) being cut out while working in depth. But well, this won't obviously be affected by the configuration for a Wiimote-interfaced control, since it's already unavailable for that use.

Now, the possible need for this adapter was given by Wiimote support for Devolution being in the works, which was one of those unthinkable homebrew options until like seconds ago. So, nobody can really tell what kind of applications could get benefit by the adapted GC controller. We should forget a second about the selfemulation the controller could use for GameCube games on vWii (or Wii games with GCC option) and realize that it could be mostly useful in a full WiiU environment. While newer controllers (GamePad, Pro Controller) are not supported by the lame retrocompatibilty as reimplanted software, looks like Classic Controller(s) are getting extended - and well deserved - compatibility with new games. What I am trying to say is that, for those who really like the GameCube controller, it could still be a main choice for all the WiiU games who won't need or force the use of extra shoulder buttons. And, guess what, it could be even happen to be some Super Smash Bros.

And in this case one thing is sure: on hand access for "-" and "home" commands are gonna be oh so BADLY missed. The GCC will still always work as a masked Classic Controller, I really can't get those who could drop them so easily, especially when there are lots of combos available to avoid any problem.

So:
if this extra-map feature cannot get changed once inserted, leave the controller as a plain GameCube as the feedbacks above suggested you. I'd still hate the lack of those two selection buttons, but I really can't decide all by myself what is best for you to sell and what is best for them to ask and buy. This in case the mapping is unchangeable or semi-permanent. 'Cause you know, you can always pray not to see any "-" or "home" onscreen and then, at worst, pick up the Wiimote. But shit would happen if any entry asked to press the taken combos and result in a 25$ gamer device doing strange things with no fix.

Still, I can't think of any possible GC entry that could lead to this. Moreover, Devolution won't get home screen support (but it's yet too see how "-" and "home" are going to be mapped, I guess they'll eventually be configurable). In my opinion, the controller can't really suffer any sloppiness in GameCube mode apart from those eventually caused by Classic Controller interpolation. In particular, I'm worried about analog trigger support on Devolution software side. I hope it will be featured and do justice to the work you did on hardware. I still guess CC interface will suffer from limited range, you've checked it out and done the numbers so possibly tell me about this, I'm really curious.

I was wondering if there will be a way to update/modificate easily the configuration of the adapter, I shall know if only I wasn't so weak on the tech side. I realize now the problem would essentially be connectors, so I get that the shipped product has the absolute need to be as efficient as it gets.

Wall of test achieved, don't know how weird or hard it is to read but for sure it's long (hope it's not tiring too).

Observation, at first I forgot about a couple reset combos for GameCube:
"X + Y + Start" for analog stick recalibration
"B + Y + Start" for console reset (while at title screen) - never tried this one -

And these indeed are extremely speciale cases.
I'd personally never give up on "-" and "home" so if I'd ever order my adapters I'd choose combos I like best to integrate those. I'd try to think of the most neutral, yet none of those I thought could be neutral enough to suit Wii/WiiU games that actually have them for in game controls.
"L Bumper + start" = "-" ; "R Bumper + start" = "home" would actually have no downside for menu controls. I can however see somebody trying to pause with a trigger pressed, in this sense DPad would be WAY less intrusive in GameCube software, since DPpad was scarcely considered by games (who generally didn't need it) and players both (who avoided it anytime it was possible).
If Devolution will allow to customize control scheme, this could be wholly bypassed in GC mode simply mapping "-" and "home" as the last input (PRESSEDbutton) in the chosen "HOLDbutton + PRESSEDbutton" combo. Indeed it would normally produce start/pause command with my tentative solution.
This would not be possible on Wii software, but combos should still be absolutely safe (I think that even on games with fully configurable mappings, anything "safer" will end up being trickier). I was trying to figure out some ZL command but I immediately understood I'd better give up GCC for those kind of controls. I can't think of many games who make different and relevant use both Z triggers at the same time, can't really come up with better example than PES, 'nuff said.

One last IMPORTANT question: mapping "+" as GC's "start" is really going to be the default solution? I checked SSBB and they had the same command mapped, but as a n00b I wonder if it already is a convention in homebrew environment. Cause you know, if it weren't we could get bad surprises as Devolution actually introduces its Wiimote thingy.

If I ever decided to buy a WiiU I'd put my hands on your adapters for sure. I actually have more doubts on WiiU console itself than on your piece of work.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
As far as convention goes on the mapping of Start->+, it is common convention for Start to be on the right and Select on the left, therefore, Start maps to + and Select to -. In the absence of Select (i.e. Gamecube), Start should still map to +. As for reconfiguring the adapter, it can be done somewhat painlessly if you have the right hardware. You can get a USBTiny-based AVR programmer for about $20 or less. Of course, if you have no other use for an AVR programmer, that might be more than it's worth... but that's up to you.

Nemesis90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been reading this thread for a while now, and i'm very interested in this adapter but one thing has piqued my interest. Would a wavebird be feasible on this device or is it far too complicated for the mechanism? This is purely speculation on my part.

Tuutti

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I really dare you to create some method for minus button. I personally would love to use GC controller with my Wii U games and Wii games such as Monster Hunter. Many games really need the minus.

Yuzo Morisaki 91

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I really dare you to create some method for minus button. I personally would love to use GC controller with my Wii U games and Wii games such as Monster Hunter. Many games really need the minus.
Then I guess that specific mapping is the way to go for those who could like it.

Default configuration should still be free of "-" and "home" arrangements, but if the combo option is viable then it should be publicized.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
I've been reading this thread for a while now, and i'm very interested in this adapter but one thing has piqued my interest. Would a wavebird be feasible on this device or is it far too complicated for the mechanism? This is purely speculation on my part.
It is entirely possible. I just don't know of any way to do it cleanly enough for my tastes...

I've been re-working the code to break out all indirect mappings (including things like the current method of mapping GC Z to CC ZL+ZR simultaneously) into a separate header file so it's easier for me to play around with custom mappings all in one place. I need to test it to be sure I didn't break anything, but it will make re-mapping a lot simpler. What I might do is ask people on a case-by-case basis what mapping they want for their adapters as I build them. It only takes about 30 seconds of my time to reconfigure, rebuild, and reprogram the adapter, so it's no big deal for me to do case-by-case custom mappings, but it won't be quite that easy for people without the hardware. I just can't seem to settle on a single mapping that makes me happy, so I think that's just the best way to go. For the GC controller, the mappings that need to be decided are Home, -, and ZL. Everything else maps directly to a GC button/axis.

Reactions: Nemesis90 and bezem

Isle41

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've been re-working the code to break out all indirect mappings (including things like the current method of mapping GC Z to CC ZL+ZR simultaneously) into a separate header file so it's easier for me to play around with custom mappings all in one place. I need to test it to be sure I didn't break anything, but it will make re-mapping a lot simpler. What I might do is ask people on a case-by-case basis what mapping they want for their adapters as I build them. It only takes about 30 seconds of my time to reconfigure, rebuild, and reprogram the adapter, so it's no big deal for me to do case-by-case custom mappings, but it won't be quite that easy for people without the hardware. I just can't seem to settle on a single mapping that makes me happy, so I think that's just the best way to go. For the GC controller, the mappings that need to be decided are Home, -, and ZL. Everything else maps directly to a GC button/axis.

What if you worked with button combinations?
Say press Dpadup+start for select, Dpaddown+start for home?

I'm not sure if it's possible, but I think that some sort of button combo for home, minus, and ZL could work.

libertyernie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The shoulder buttons could still be an issue. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (Wii U) uses both ZL and ZR, but not L or R. SNES games on VC are the exact opposite.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
What if you worked with button combinations?
Say press Dpadup+start for select, Dpaddown+start for home?

I'm not sure if it's possible, but I think that some sort of button combo for home, minus, and ZL could work.
That's exactly how it would work. Button combos mapped to missing buttons.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Here's the problem, say I map - to DPad up + Start. Now you press DPad up + Start. You haven't just pressed -, you've actually pressed +, -, and DPad up all at the same time, and I can only assume that this will produce unwanted results as often as not. By choosing the GC controller, you've lost 3 buttons, and there is no way to 100% compensate for that. I'm open to suggestions, as well as my offer for per-order custom mappings, but right now my default option is going to be direct 1:1 mappings only.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
I got the PCB's in today :) Good news is they actually gave me more than I ordered. Bad news is I'm a frakking moron and forgot to add Vcc/Gnd pads for the GC controller >.< Not a huge issue, I can grab them elsewhere on the board, the wiring just won't be as clean as it should have been...

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so here you can see the result of the forgotten Vcc/Gnd pads. I had to wire across to the opposite side of the board. Messy, but fully-functional nonetheless. I don't have any nunchuck cables yet, so I can't finish it...
2433rjp.jpg

I cut the cable a little short for my liking, but a little trial and error should fix that up in no time.
hv73hy.jpg

And here it is, just waiting for a wiimote cable.
10ids0o.jpg

We're in the home stretch :)

YoshiKart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been watching this thread closely for a while now. Dang, qwerty, that's some progress! Eagerly awaiting the finished product (and hoping to buy at least one!).

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
The only thing left is for the cables to arrive. The four solder pads on the right are for the wiimote cable. Cut, strip, solder, hot glue, and we're in business. In the meantime, I'll be soldering more boards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can