GCN GameCube modding 2015

superspudz2000

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guys, i hate to be a debbie downer, but Gamecube modding is a titanic level disaster

Positive: XenoGC are pretty cheap.
END OF POSITIVE

Negative:
-Viper and Qoob don't exist anywhere

-MiniDVD's, you cant find them anywhere, only certain brands of MiniDVDs work, in your travels you will see shelf, after shelf of MEMOREX MEMOREX MEMOREX everywhere you go that are absolutely useless for anything,

-DRE....DRE....DRE after DRE. take it all apart again and adjust the POT, do this 50 times, works slightly better, take it all apart again and try re-soldering thicker gauge wire, bit better but you still get some DREs

- at this point you figure MiniDVDs are a lost cause, so you try a Full DVD case mod, None Exist anywhere, ridiculously rare and expensive, WAY too expensive. ok FINE, you decide to just dremel the hell out of the case to accommodate full DVDs, only the spring mechanism is in the way, No way to keep the lid closed!!!, Well FINE, you just place a heavy book on the lid to keep it closed.

-now comes hooking it up to the TV, UNBELIEVABLE, Component cables don't exist either, $200!... For a CABLE???, and not all gamecubes even have the connection, and only certain games can even output 720p. most are 480p anyway.

-ok,ok, S-Video should be "good enough", this also is Not a simple matter, every cable is dual and only pushes crappy Composite signal through the SVideo part. so now you are stuck with a pile of useless video cables after finally finding one that works.

so yeah, most people would rather just use Wii, or Upgrade the ol' computer and run Dolphin Emulator. its really not worth the hassle.

Reactions: Razor83 and cvskid

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
-MiniDVD's, you cant find them anywhere, only certain brands of MiniDVDs work, in your travels you will see shelf, after shelf of MEMOREX MEMOREX MEMOREX everywhere you go that are absolutely useless for anything,
Shockingly, my Wal*Mart has the perfect brand of mini-DVD's that actually works on the Gamecube. I know, I've tested them.

Reactions: CosmoCortney

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ultimately, a solution like a MegaDRIVE + Wasp Fusion would be ideal, but there will always be people like me that will want a real system vs a Wii or emulator

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country

I get like a pack of 20 that cost me a fiver. They work flawlessly. It isn't a disaster, it works absolutely fine. I prefer playing on a gamecube myself, as I have a spiced orange console and don't intend to put it away.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even the Svideo cable on GC looks better than Wii component. I think Nintendo cheaped out on the Wii's analog converter

That's simply not true. You can use an S-video cable with the Wii, and it looks identical to S-video on the GC. The only way the Wii component looks worse than that is if you're using two different TV sets in the comparison or the TV just doesn't do well with component.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, i hate to be a debbie downer, but Gamecube modding is a titanic level disaster

Positive: XenoGC are pretty cheap.
END OF POSITIVE

I've got one in my Japanese orange GC. Works great. I have another XenoGC I'm holding onto, might pick up an oddball special edition model next time I go to Japan.

My entire collection of backups is on cheap Philips Duplicator grade bulk discs, available all day long right *here* .

-DRE....DRE....DRE after DRE. take it all apart again and adjust the POT, do this 50 times, works slightly better, take it all apart again and try re-soldering thicker gauge wire, bit better but you still get some DREs

Never had this problem. Never adjusted the laser pot, either.

so yeah, most people would rather just use Wii, or Upgrade the ol' computer and run Dolphin Emulator. its really not worth the hassle.

I do pretty much agree with this. I was playing backups on the Gamecube until about six months ago, when I added Nintendont to the Wii. Now the Gamecube is just for Gameboy Player time, using an EZF4 and a Raphnet GCN to SNES adapter.

But even though I don't use it as frequently, there's no way I'd ever let it go.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hanafuda,

I agree with you only using the GC for the GBA player (I also have an EZ Flash IV) which is what I mainly do. Plus my GC has an HDMI mod, along with an active HDMI to VGA adapter, so the picture quality is awesome on my CRT VGA/RGB monitor. I use my Max Drive Pro to boot up GBI and other DOL's, so I don't really need a mod chip (though, I do have two XenoGC's lying around).

I am still not convinced that GC games look any better on a Wii vs a GC with Component.

How well does that Raphnet SNES to GC adapter work with the GC and GBA player? What SNES controller do tou use (I prefer my High Frequency SNES controller with independent turbo switches for each button). Some people say the button mapping is bad, or it doesn't match a GC controller.

Last edited by XC-3730C,
D

Deleted User

I'm confused here. Wouldn't you get a better result from Dolphin in the first place since it can bring the resolution up to 1080p? A real Gamecube can't go beyond 480p and an upscaler just isn't the same. On top of that you're gonna get digital video with Dolphin so you can ignore all that analogue related bullshit.

Last edited by ,

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
leafeon34,

In my opinion, an emulator isn't the same as real hardware. Sure, it has a lot of fancy features, but many people like myself would rather play on actual hardware, than an emulator.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wish gamecube had something like the dreamcast does with the gd rom emu replacing the disc drive with a plug in adapter so you can use a usb stick/hard drive.

D

Deleted User

Wish gamecube had something like the dreamcast does with the gd rom emu replacing the disc drive with a plug in adapter so you can use a usb stick/hard drive.
If I'm not mistaken the WiiKey fusion works on the Gamecube. Some games won't work because of audio streaming though.

Reactions: cvskid

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leafeon,

Correct. You need a WASP fusion + MEGAdrive, but audio streaming games are not supported, so you may as well just use a Wii.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hanafuda,

How well does that Raphnet SNES to GC adapter work with the GC and GBA player? What SNES controller do tou use (I prefer my High Frequency SNES controller with independent turbo switches for each button). Some people say the button mapping is bad, or it doesn't match a GC controller.

It works fine, at least in-game. I think I had some trouble with it using the official GBP disk interface, but like you I'm using GBI now and not having any problems. The adapter has had a couple revisions since they first started making it, and current models have three button map options. (See this pdf) And if there's any lag, I can't perceive it. I'm playing on an old JVC CRT using S-video.

All of my controllers are official SFC (Japan). My wife's Japanese and we're there on vacation every couple years. Every time we go I pick up a few things ... you can see some of the haul from the 2013 trip here and here. We did go back this year, bought a couple regular SFC's, an n64, the orange GBP, more SFC controllers, and some ram carts and stuff for my Saturn, but it wasn't as awesome as 2013. I spent a bunch on japanese whiskey and headphones this time, so the budget was limited.

D

Deleted User

That's simply not true. You can use an S-video cable with the Wii, and it looks identical to S-video on the GC. The only way the Wii component looks worse than that is if you're using two different TV sets in the comparison or the TV just doesn't do well with component.
Wii never got an S-Video gable did it?

And in that case Wii's S-video is sharper than Wii's Component.

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii's component output is better than S-Video? I find that hard to believe. Component looks pretty dsmn good on my plasma...

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Wii never got an S-Video gable did it?

And in that case Wii's S-video is sharper than Wii's Component.

It did, in Japan.

wii_scable.jpg

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Shockingly, my Wal*Mart has the perfect brand of mini-DVD's that actually works on the Gamecube. I know, I've tested them.

I second that. The previous GameCube I used to own had a XenoGC modchip and the ones I got from Wal-mart (Sony brand) worked fine with it. I recently acquired a new one (it's a newer model without the digital out port so no component cables. But it was only $15 and it came with 4 games and two Wavebirds!) and the games I had burned for the previous GameCube worked on this one too. The new one doesn't have a modchip so currently use Datel's Action Replay + Wii Key clone Memory Card to SD adapter to boot homebrew/Swiss off of. I can run most games from SD, but only have a 2GB SD card at the moment. I kept all the games I burned, so the SD card capacity isn't an issue right now. :P

Getting mini-DVDs for the GC is still a little more expensive then getting full-size DVDs, but they aren't hard to find yet. :P

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea is pretty good