GCN GameCube modding 2015

D

Deleted-355425

I have a ntsc gamecube, viper case to take full size cds and xeno mod chips, just need to find the time to put it all together. I'm more interested in the scene cloning the component cable.. I'm not paying £150 for a cable when my wii and wiiu can play gamecube games.

CaptainSodaPop

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
GameCube is just not friendly with mod chips and burned media.Had Viper Extreme in my console and I have enjoyed more disc read errors than playing games.Even listening to Dr. Dre wouldn't help.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
In the rare event I want to boot something on my GameCube I still use the Phantasy Star Online exploit. You can boot GCOS if you want the features of a modchip, or boot other useful apps such as NGCDEV Ripper, which I have used to rip all the games I own for the GameCube.

I use an emulator to play GameCube games now (using a GameCube joypad) as games look better than they ever did on the GameCube. Sometimes i'll play them on my Wii U with Nintendont too.

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GameCube is just not friendly with mod chips and burned media.Had Viper Extreme in my console and I have enjoyed more disc read errors than playing games.Even listening to Dr. Dre wouldn't help.
I have no issue with installing a XenoGC and playing off of Philips mini DVD-R. Those full sized lids are too expensive.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd really like the Homebred component cable to get released...

There is already posts on it in the appropriate forums, GCforever I believe. However, the creator says they won't be mass producing it - if you want one, you're going to have to make it yourself.

D

Deleted-355425

There is already posts on it in the appropriate forums, GCforever I believe. However, the creator says they won't be mass producing it - if you want one, you're going to have to make it yourself.

Yup, I just saw that. Will order some boards and parts, their design is pretty simple which is nice.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Yup, I just saw that. Will order some boards and parts, their design is pretty simple which is nice.

I've not read up on the forum page myself, but I'm good with electronics and would like to try it, what page lists the specific parts?

CaptainSodaPop

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
And you didn't have any issue with previous ones for a long time after it's been used? My Viper Extreme was acceptable at the beginning, but later DREs started appear more and more.If this the first time you installed a modchip in yours GameCube you'll have problems eventually, trust me.I think SD Media Launcher is the best solution for GC backups.Gotta get one asap.

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I haven't had any issues at all. I didn't have to do a pot tweak in my Platinum Gamcube system, and I use great quality mini DVD-R. Before I did XenoGC installations, I used my Max Drive Pro with Swiss loaded on it to boot backups

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have to disagree with the "eventually you will have problems" as well. Had a viperGC in my cube since it was released (the chip, got it when it was still a swap to play and didn't have the audio fix). Used it for years, the only DRE I ever had were the ones caused by the "idle bug" in the early release. For those unaware the "idle bug" was present in the early cobra bios release (before it was no swap) and would cause DRE when the drive was resting. It was fixed it in 1.0 which was a couple months after release of the chip.

Always used mini dvds on mine, either mini verbatim (can't remember the mediaid) or Traxdata RitekG04. No pot tweak either.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
And you didn't have any issue with previous ones for a long time after it's been used? My Viper Extreme was acceptable at the beginning, but later DREs started appear more and more.If this the first time you installed a modchip in yours GameCube you'll have problems eventually, trust me.I think SD Media Launcher is the best solution for GC backups.Gotta get one asap.

It'd be nice for people to invest more in their system, with modchips that don't require a boot disk for homebrew.
Still having a disk drive is useful in case you run into compatibility issues.

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree. It's the same reason why I did an IDE hard drive mod to my Dream cast vs a US-GDROM. I like to preserve the original components as much as possible

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Ello