GCN GameCube modding 2015

andre104623

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems people are dusting off those old cubes and want to play some backups. People don't know that the cube is moving forward in hacks everyday. So what are your options today if you wanted to hack your cube? Well there's xenogc that is still around and available even on eBay. Qoob, viper, ninjamod, etc are IPL replacements and are out of production, rare, and outdated. The newest modchips that work on the cube are wasp fusion, wiikey fusion, wode jukebox and all can be installed in the cube ether with wires or a megadrive. Mega products are custom made for cube to make Wii modchips easy to install and can be found here badassconsoles.com they are out of stock now but keep checking the site every few days they will be back.

Now after you got your cube modded maybe you want to spend 300 dollars on the component cable well hold on. This year there is a clone component device for GameCube that looks better then the Nintendo cable and gives you full digital sound as well called GCvideo. There are 2 versions as of now and both require soldering and flashing. But if you wait badassconsoles might have you covered in time.

There are some other stuff you may want to grab as well. SD gecko, ide-exi, and shuriken USB gecko. The SD gecko are everywhere should be easy to find. The ide-exi is limited and hard to get a hold of but badassconsoles will have a really cool version available soon. The shuriken USB is on sale now here in the Wii section and on gc-forever.com and if you want one you better grab one now since only 20 were made.

Gc-forever.com is a go to info for everything cube and badassconsoles is great shop for custom accessories you should stop by and look around.

I don't support SD load since it sucks but if you can't solder it may be your only way to run homebrew or backups on your cube. If you do use SD load use swiss it will make you be able to use SD cards bigger then 4 GB and can use everything above.

Reactions: 2Hack and turnerl

andre104623

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or for most purposes you could just buy a GC compatible wii and mod that instead.

Also is this the forum equivalent of an advertorial?
You miss the point some people want to hack there gamecubes because they want to hack there gamecubes. Yeah sure you can buy a Wii but what's the fun in that. If you ever played a game on the cube with the component cable the play the same game on the Wii with the component cable you will notice that the cube looks better.

It's like nostalgia. Yeah I can play a SNES game on my 3ds and ps3 but nothing beats real hardware

Reactions: turnerl

turnerl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You miss the point some people want to hack there gamecubes because they want to hack there gamecubes. Yeah sure you can buy a Wii but what's the fun in that. If you ever played a game on the cube with the component cable the play the same game on the Wii with the component cable you will notice that the cube looks better.

It's like nostalgia. Yeah I can play a SNES game on my 3ds and ps3 but nothing beats real hardware

and we're not talking about a little difference in video quality when comparing the wii (in gc mode) and a real cube. The difference is huge!

andre104623

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and we're not talking about a little difference in video quality when comparing the wii (in gc mode) and a real cube. The difference is huge!
Thank you, some people don't get it if everyone was like fast6191 then we wouldn't have a retro game market everyone would be using new systems to emulate old games in crappy quality. Now don't get me wrong that's not always the case sometime I like playing super Mario world in HD.

D

Deleted User

Even the Svideo cable on GC looks better than Wii component. I think Nintendo cheaped out on the Wii's analog converter

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Skyhigh_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even the Svideo cable on GC looks better than Wii component. I think Nintendo cheaped out on the Wii's analog converter
Are these the name brand nintendo ones or would i get similar hd signal on the gamecube even with a generic cable.

I ask because i see some component nintendo cables for the cube fetching for 80+ usd...

D

Deleted User

Are these the name brand nintendo ones or would i get similar hd signal on the gamecube even with a generic cable.

I ask because i see some component nintendo cables for the cube fetching for 80+ usd...
At the time I posted I was using a cheap svideo cable that has since broken. make sure to avoid those dual composite/svideo cables cos they're known for bad picture
My Wii component cable is 1st party

Reactions: almmiron

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Most people just use a Wii, Wii U or Dolphin to play GameCube and call it a day. I'd rather use a Wii too for convenience (transfer the iso to the SD card and play it).

I've yet to hack my Wii U but probably won't for the time being.

capz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Seems getting anything other than datels sd media launcher is out of the question for us europeans unless we want to fork over insane customs fees (add 40% of (shipping cost+item value)). Am I right?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I had to POT-tweak my cube's laser down to 194 from 240, and now it reads burned discs just fine. I no longer have to rely on my original Gameboy Player disc, and can save it's life even longer.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Just soldered a Xeno GC to my Gamecube, this evening. Cheap knock-off from Ebay probably but it works.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
I am floored that ebay allows Xeno GC chips sold. Gonna grab me a few !!!

Seems to work fine, they're well made replica or knock-offs since they're from china. You have to wait a couple of weeks though. I was afraid mine didn't work, then checked again and one of my connections wasn't soldered probably.

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I have read from people on other forums about having issues with their Xeno GC chips after install, but after doing a Dreamcast 44-pin IDE mod, and Gamecube HDMI board, Xeno GC installation seems like an easy job.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's Amazon prime