Game franchises that rose from the dead, and those that should have been put down again

tempy_thinker.png

Being Halloween then it seemed fitting to discuss those game franchises which died, lay dormant, or maybe were kept on life support, for some years and then came back swinging. Not all manage such a feat and so should have been put down like the zombies they are. If you want to make it a bit harder we can probably all agree that the various classic games brought back as mobile phone games (looking at the likes of Dungeon Keeper mobile and Cannon Fodder 3) should not only have got both barrels but probably also have been seared from existence after that, give or take their value as a warning. On the flip side if we absolutely must then we also accept those times where the puppet masters move onto another host, or made a spiritual sequel if we are to use common parlance.

Taking an obvious example as a starter. Deus Ex from the year 2000. It started out as a work of some master devs and created what was then, and for some years afterwards, the pinnacle of PC gaming. Even today it is held as something of a high water mark, though some have started to debate whether it was a product of its time. Combined with the slow motion implosion of the developer also came the somewhat dumbed down and constrained sequel also available on consoles (even more of a bad sign back in 2003). The eventual owners of the IP tried a few more times (one attempt eventually becoming Project Snowblind) but it would be 2011 before we got Deus Ex: Human Revolution. While not maybe as great in scope as the first game it never the less managed to wrap a compelling and thought provoking story in a tight engine, and look good while doing it. Since then we have had a few sequels and side stories that also found themselves somewhat enjoyed, though speculation is that it might have entered into a second hibernation.

For the opposite then we have the Thief Franchise. The first two games plus expansions were legendary titles that in some ways were responsible for the glut of stealth sections in the years following them, to say nothing of many of the developers moving on to Deus Ex above. Ion Storm's decaying hand gave us the third game in the franchise a few years later as a parting gift to the world and it was not great. Some years later we saw Thief 4, at one point stylised as Thi4f but eventually becoming a "reboot" which probably tells you all you need to know there, though the uninspired levels, clunky mechanics, worse story and suspect graphics mean it probably should have been felled by a holy water arrow long before then. Fortunately around the same time we saw the first of the Dishonored games, and the modding community gave us both mods to take advantage of newer hardware, and something of a modder driven remake/spiritual sequel in The Dark Mod.

This is part of a series on GBAtemp where we discuss game culture, game mechanics, industry trends and similar such things. Last time we discussed things that were once quite radical but are now fairly commonplace, as well as things now missing in Back in my day we didn't have X but did have Y. Gaming edition.. We also have to thank Piotyr, one of our IRC channel ops, for the idea for this thread. If you have an idea then either make the thread yourself and it could get put on the portal, or get in contact to share some ideas.

So then what games rose from the dead to show us how it is done, and what ones should have stayed dead?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I was wondering if I could include board games, but come to think of it, these things live on virtually as well, so...

Monopoly. Just... Enough, already. I just skimmed through a toy magazine, and it makes me sad. Hardly any modern board games being advertised, but freaking monopoly gets half a page (fortnite edition... Seriously?).

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Ignoring 6 and the various unnumbered spinoffs (save for Code Veronica) does Resident Evil get worse and worse? I am not entirely sure why 7 got called that (save perhaps oh look we have a horror game, let us crowbar it into the series, but it was hardly bad either, and the recent effort at remaking 2 will probably be the high water mark for such endeavours for some time to come.

Not a real Resident Evil Game for me.
The Game itself is great.But Resident Evil Game ? Only if Redfield appears....
Same for the Revelation Games.....
5 ? Really ?
6 ??? No comment.:P
Operation Raccoon City ?? :rolleyes:
Did i forget some Games ?
Oh:
Dead Aim.....
The Resident Evil First Person Shooters....:rofl2:
The Handheld Versions....
Outbreak Games ?
.....yes,qualitativ high Level Resident Evil Games.:D

The Resident Evil 2 Remake is very good,it has very few elements from the Original Game.:)

Thank you.:)

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not a real Resident Evil Game for me.
The Game itself is great.But Resident Evil Game ? Only if Redfield appears....
Same for the Revelation Games.....
5 ? Really ?
6 ??? No comment.:P
Operation Raccoon City ?? :rolleyes:
Did i forget some Games ?
Oh:
Dead Aim.....
The Resident Evil First Person Shooters....:rofl2:
The Handheld Versions....
Outbreak Games ?
.....yes,qualitativ high Level Resident Evil Games.:D

The Resident Evil 2 Remake is very good,it has very few elements from the Original Game.:)

I did say ignoring 6 and the unnumbered spinoffs. In most cases that is like writing off a franchise because of a poor handheld cash in effort.

As for 5 I really liked that. Got a bit silly at the end (though what in the franchise does not go a bit off the rails in the later game?) and the DLC was worth experiencing too. That said I will note that I did play it exclusively in co-op.

As far as very few elements from the original game then what was omitted, or indeed added, that so radically changed it? Are you of the tank controls is best controls mindset?

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I did say ignoring 6 and the unnumbered spinoffs. In most cases that is like writing off a franchise because of a poor handheld cash in effort.

As for 5 I really liked that. Got a bit silly at the end (though what in the franchise does not go a bit off the rails in the later game?) and the DLC was worth experiencing too. That said I will note that I did play it exclusively in co-op.

As far as very few elements from the original game then what was omitted, or indeed added, that so radically changed it? Are you of the tank controls is best controls mindset?
*replies in the middle of tearing appart 2 PCs and re-assembe them in reverse way*

The Spirit.Part 1,2 and 3 are an "in itself perfectly trimmed" Trilogy.As Player you HAVE to say after playing "MORE MORE...."
More of that Story....ok we got it with Part ZERO.Really ? ...hmmm..in great Parts of the Story YES.

Veronica was for me very good and...disappointing....rising expectation "where does the story go" until .... disappointing ending.But a solid Resident Evil Game.Had still the Spirit of the Series.

Part 4 was "surprising" and I think the main reason was LEON.And to answer your Control Question: I like this new Control/new Camera View Game.Story was now "moving" away from the Original....but a really great Game and Resident Evil Style again.

and thats it.......no other Game achieved it again.....for me.:)

Revelation Games was a desaster for me.Great Games (as pseudo First Person Shooters really great) but not Resident Evil...
5 - Yes a good Game but Resident Evil Spirit ?

You may played it in 1996 on the PSX.You maybe understand what the "Feeling" was in these Days on the first Hours on Resident Evil.:yay:
That ALL is gone now....

and then comes 7......
A wonderful,great Game,I love it unitl today.....but where is the "Reference to the first 3 Games ? Redfield ? The House ? The Ship ??? .......
With this Part I think Resident Evil died.Literally.:D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-