ROM Hack Game Center CX : Arino no Chosenjo 2 (New Start?)

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey man, take it easy, the speed and quality at which you're producing this translation is already incredible.
Some translations take years, I wouldn't even mind having to wait for 2 more months.

You need to release it when you are comfortable with the end result , not when fans want it to be released.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Maybe only as a brief mention but okay, I could "warn" about the third entry in the series, not that that had any hope of being officially released in English anyway.

Okay, as far as the game is concerned I have been rushing through the Adventure and RPG games looking for last minute bugs. I heard reports the final credits for the RPG are a bit messed up so I've put my Desmume on turbo and I'm trying to blast through to the end legitimately to see/fix that.

The last of the magazine covers and the Triotos tile swaps were prepared yesterday so once they are in the game that may be the last of the graphics that need any immediate attention...I think. There is issue with the whole "Light" edition of Guadia Quest Saga but it Is clearly written in many places it is the "light version" so it maybe isn't such a big issue.

There is just so much text overall in the game I'm bound to miss something along the way, even with the help of the testers. If I miss something, I'll have to patch it up in later editions of the patch, I guess.

I know I'm under a lot of pressure to get this patch out but I do want to make sure the whole game works and there aren't any serious lingering bugs.
The progress of your translation has already been way faster than most projects I've ever followed [and I've been in the ROM hacking scene for almost two decades now], and amost all other efforts include multiple people working on specific areas.

So yeah, I don't think you should rush 1.0... I don't think anybody in their right mind will be complaining that this is taking too long.

Reactions: Calitar

nimbylive

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I created an account purely to voice my thanks and praise for the work that has gone on for this game. I am amazed every time I come here and see so much being done. Truly impressive. I cannot wait to get my hands on the translation patch.

Again, truly, there is a lot of great work here.

NighTrekr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I similarly just created an account to thank you for your work on this translation. There are so many great games that never got official translations. We're all lucky to have talented people who are willing to devote their free time to do stuff like this. I wish I had the Japanese knowledge to help!

Reactions: Aaron Chmielowiec

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, thanks for the support, everyone.

I played through the RPG. I confirmed that when you use the "alternate" method to get to the ending, everything works fine; the game is completable. There are/were a number of inconsistancies with the item names in the menu vs. when you find them from a chest or in a dungeon. It still might take a bit to sort all these out. Anyway, I'll leave some screenshots here because this page needs more color.

rpgarena.png
haggleman.png

EDIT> Here it is running on real hardware:

gqsreal.jpg

Calitar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all I want to once again say what a great job you guys are doing. Don't try to rush. I've been waiting for this since the game's release (5 years!). I think I can wait a little while longer. (I'm replaying the first game in the meantime. I didn't know I could start a new Story save without losing my Freeplay unlocks)

This may have been addressed before (I seem to recall it coming up but I can't remember the details) but is there a reason why the ellipsis is displaying in the middle of the line? Is that something you plan to try to tackle before the first release or is that for a later update? Also ellipsis should always have three periods (possible exceptions for the classic game full line of periods to indicate either a long pause or dialog from a Silent Protagonist).

EDIT: Playing around with the unpatched version I see that's how it is in Japanese (4 dots in the middle of the line). Hmm.

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
The rule for ellipsis in English is "3 dots". There was a post on romhacking about it. I'll try and find it.

Japanese games always seem to use ‥ and is in the middle. Looks really silly with English text.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
http://legendsoflocalization.com/qa-japanese-ellipsis-usage-and-english-translation/

Three dots for English.

I usually do non-English translations where I can disregard this completely :P
My guess is that the font has a character that's [two dots] repeated twice (or it could be actual individual separate dots? in which case a fix for this)

But I'm personally okay with the four dots in the screenshot above.
Arino's Challenge 2 is supposed to be a pastiche of the NES days in this specific RPG segment.
Official NES localizations often didn't bother to follow strictly the "3 dots" rule. Since this game already has intentional broken Engrish, why not this while we're at it.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Oh, those things are my bane but I will do what I can with search/replace.

The big issue is not only that the original Japanese usage in this game is inconsistent, the usage, appearance and position vary as well.

In the main game, it is three periods. In the RPG and Adventure, the dots range from 2 to 6 and are in the middle or are just periods. In message windows it is almost always periods.

I don't mind which usage we use but I haven't gotten around to that yet when there is other material to fix and test yet.

Reactions: Calitar

Calitar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, those things are my bane but I will do what I can with search/replace.

The big issue is not only that the original Japanese usage in this game is inconsistent, the usage, appearance and position vary as well.

In the main game, it is three periods. In the RPG and Adventure, the dots range from 2 to 6 and are in the middle or are just periods. In message windows it is almost always periods.

I don't mind which usage we use but I haven't gotten around to that yet when there is other material to fix and test yet.
Oh wow that's rough. I certainly understand if you are unable to find and change them all before the first release. Post-release I could screenshot any I find (along with any other errors), if that would help.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
That's all right. Once I finish the RPG in it's entirety (wow, this thing is looooong) I plan on looking at more of the little details like this.

In graphics news, the Game Shop background was reworked slightly to add the JoycoLand logo and patch up some Japanese in the background.

The Triotos DX tiles have yet to be swapped but graphical mockups were already made. The title to Guadia Quest Saga (Light Edition) is the last thing to do before doing a 2nd pass to see if there are any graphics to patch up better than the first pass.

EDIT> I'm getting there...slowly (RPG Progress) 9 hours in!?!

rpgsofar.png
rpgsofar2.png

EDIT> Defeated a bunch of bosses, cleared a bunch o' castles and towns. I'm in the ending stretch now before I face the final boss. if I give any more info than that I'll probably be spoiling the game for everyone.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Once you're onto final polishing, it should be noted that in Retro Game Challenge, "Haggle Man" has a space in it. Really minor, but still.

EDIT: Apparently this is inconsistent.
robot-ninja-haggle-man.jpg

rnhm1-2.png

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
That's okay, there are a fair number of random inconsistancies in the original game anyway.

All right, update time.
-------------------------
First, except for the Guadia Quest Saga title screen logo, all of the graphics in the game are now complete.

I'm nearing the end of the RPG based on an obscure Japanese walkthrough I found. I have been correcting files along the way as I find errors and inconsistancies. Edit> I'm at the final boss now but I have to head back to work; I'll finish this later. There was one file that still had Japanese in it and a bunch of misaligned text...oh well, better I find it than someone else.

Upon confirming the RPG is okay and then the Adventure (and some random spelling errors found elsewhere), this patch is pretty much ready for prime time...minor inconsistancies aside, I suppose.

Mark_Darkness has a site we've been putting together so that may coincide with the release of the patch, too.

cubeboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Official NES localizations often didn't bother to follow strictly the "3 dots" rule. Since this game already has intentional broken Engrish, why not this while we're at it.
I agree, since the goal of this game is to recreate the experience of games at the time, I would keep it at 4 periods, and if you REALLY didn't like it, you could maybe change it outside of the actual retro game play. I'm not really bothered personally seeing 2 or 4 periods, and I spent almost 2 of the last 4 years writing math proofs seeing 3 periods every class period :)

EDIT> I'm getting there...slowly (RPG Progress) 9 hours in!?!

rpgsofar.png

EDIT> Defeated a bunch of bosses, cleared a bunch o' castles and towns. I'm in the ending stretch now before I face the final boss. if I give any more info than that I'll probably be spoiling the game for everyone.

That's about as far as I got in the game before giving up. I probably could have kept going, but it started to get pretty hard for me since I didn't really know how to use the Guadia's properly.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
and...I finished the RPG.

I have confirmed all 3 possible endings work, though the ending scroll in the "Best" ending were still in Japanese and need to be translated :/ There aren't so many lines, though.

cubeboy> I used a cheap combo of Attack with Player 1, Healt (heal all for 70HP) with Player 2 and Weaken with Player 3. It takes a bunch 'o' rounds but it worked for many of the harder enemies in the game I found.

(I would post pictures but that would be a major spoiler...wait, we have a tag for that here, don't we...)

Warning: Major spoiler! View at your own risk. Can you resist the temptation?
space1.png
lastboss.png

lastboss2.png
lastboss3.png

Once I clean up that text and check it again (Ugh, I have to beat the Creator *again*!?!?) I'll be happy with where it is right now. I haven't checked every possible combination of each item, weapon, skill and spell against every enemy in the game but I got through a full playthrough of the game with a variety of everything I could get my hands on so I hope it works out for you all.

All right, let me get this RPG out of the way tonight and go back to do one final check on the Adventure games.

EDIT> Okay, after a few hundred file updates and changes to the RPG Intro and Extro that should do it for Guadia Quest Saga...

Ah, for those interested, it took just under 12 hours for me to beat the RPG.

finalstatsrpg1.png
finalstatsrpg.png

(Also, the website domain has now been registered and the web site for this patch/project should be all up in a matter of days...)

So, milestone reached, I guess. All 9 main games are tested to be fully completable in English. If the last title graphic is done tomorrow, that will be another milestone, and perhaps the last one before release.

joek0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just created an account to post on this board.

I have had an import copy of this game for a long time. I have beaten every game and have even written 2 guides on gamefaqs.com. I may finally be able to finish my Wizman FAQ at last. I can't wait to replay this game in a language I can understand.

Regarding Guadia Quest Saga:
Have you tested the post game material. There is a post game fight in the Arena along with a secret dungeon to go through.

Off to play my import copy until then!

Here is a great Japanese wiki for the game to look through Aaron. Check it out if you have not seen it already!
http://www29.atwiki.jp/ds_gamecenter_cx/

Reactions: DickMarlowe

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Yep, I made use of that link. Actually, for the project website I was thinking about adding a game FAQ section with things like this in English. I wrote up a guide to both adventure games in English and wanted to list up all 1290 Arino sounds in the game, etc. I wonder if that sort of material is better left on gamefaqs, though.

Thanks a lot, joek0, and yes, I am aware of the content you posted in those "hidden" tags. I loosely tested it all but not intensively. It's a shame you weren't around here earlier. I would have loved to have someone like you try the Alpha/Beta earlier on.

All right, I'm doing a sanity check of the Adventure games now. I already beat it twice before but some of the bg art and translation was changed a few times so I probably should make sure it all still works.

As far as I can see the other testers report all of the other games are completable and work fine so I hope that means everything else is done. I may do hex searches in the game for any Japanese characters just to be safe but right now it looks to be 100% in English (or Engrish in some spots though that is intentional) barring the Guadia Quest Saga main title screen, which is the last graphic in the game to change anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the...