Flashcart newbie LF advice on Pokemon Gen IV & V

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Zaredra, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Zaredra
    OP

Zaredra Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some method to modify stuff from Pokemon Diamond/Soul Silver and White for importing to X and AS. I missed out on a lot of mystery gifts and event stuff so it'd be awesome to get access to those, along with some of the illegitimate things (like Hall of Origin Arceus).

I have an original DSPhat (the very first one). I also have a N3DS (which I'm not willing to homebrew or mod) and a Powersaves for it.

At a friend's behest, I have ordered an R4 original from nds-card (product number P121464426), as he says this is bare minimum for doing this since I can't find an Action Replay. I'm pretty goddamn new to this stuff though, so I honestly don't know what I'm getting into. He also says I need a 3-in-1 for the DSPhat, but it's so expensive that I'm wondering if there's a simpler or at least more elegant solution. I'm 100% willing to blow $10 and find out the R4's not gonna cut it, but 40 € is another story.

if I'm understanding 'DS/DSi/3DS "hacking" FAQ' correctly, I should be able to apply AR cheats with it + NitroHax
    Can I back up Diamond/SS and White onto the R4 and apply cheats that way, then move it back onto the D/SS/W card for poketransfer/poke bank, or will I need additional hardware?

How do others here hack their pokamans?

2. Sleet

Sleet GBAtemp Fan

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    If you just want to generate Pokemon then maybe you should look at the R4i Save dongle. Nds-card has it.

Nitrohax hasn't been updated to work with Black and White.

Last edited by Sleet, Jul 11, 2016
  3. Zaredra
    OP

Zaredra Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2016
    United States
  4. Sleet

Sleet GBAtemp Fan

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    You could backup your DS game save, use Pokegen to edit it on PC, then restore it to the game card. I have not used this myself.

You can do the same thing with an R4, so maybe it's unnecessary. I use the homebrew DS Savegame Manager. But it'll require you to use your network.

5. Zaredra
    OP

Zaredra Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Hmm. I don't know how to do home brew stuff at all. I last dabbled in it with my Wii but that didn't bear much fruit. But the dongle seems like the greatest ease of use, or maybe not?

I would like to use PokeGen, though, since it makes legal Pokemon

Last edited by Zaredra, Jul 11, 2016
  6. MichiS97

MichiS97 "Leftist snowflake milennial"

GBAtemp Patron
    MichiS97 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2011
    Germany
    Munich
    Just because you mentioned PKHeX: that is for the sixth generation (XYORAS) only. You won't be able to modify your sixth gen save with that without using homebrew. You can modify the save file with the pre-made powersaves cheats but that's about it. If you want to modify your 4th and 5th gen save you really only need a DS flashcard (which you already have) and the ROMs of the games. After you have saved your progress on one of the ROMs, a save file is going to be created on the microSD card of the flashcard which you can then modify with PokeGen. There's no need for Action Replay/NitroHax

7. Sleet

Sleet GBAtemp Fan

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    If you don't care about using your original gamecards TC then this is the easiest way.

8. Zaredra
    OP

Zaredra Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Unfortunately I have so much done in my game cards that I'd like to modify them directly if possible. If I bought the R4 and the save dongle, could I do that with PokeGen?

I understand that PKHex is for gen 6 only, thank you for the clarification.

9. Sleet

Sleet GBAtemp Fan

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    Like I mentioned if that is what you're interested in then having both would be redundant. But it is easier to do using the dongle.

Also something to consider: if you were bought the original R4 then it will only accept up to 2GB SD cards.

Last edited by Sleet, Jul 11, 2016
  10. MichiS97

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2011
    Germany
    Munich
    Buying the dongle and the flashcard is the only way to do this without using 3DS-specific homebrew. (Or is there a homebrew tool for the DS which lets you dump save files from legit cartridges?)

11. Zaredra
    OP

Zaredra Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    I'm thinking both products is the way to go, now, although can the original R4 play platinum and black 2? I don't see why they wouldn't be able to since the latter isn't a 3DS game.

My only other concern I suppose is what the save dongle can't do.

12. MichiS97

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2011
    Germany
    Munich
    Try to get an R4i SDHC, you can only use microSD cards up to 2GB with the original R4

13. Zaredra
    OP

Zaredra Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2016
    United States
  14. MichiS97

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2011
    Germany
    Munich
  15. Zaredra
    OP

Zaredra Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2016
    United States