First official teardown of the new Switch Lite

FCC-Switch-Mini.png

Due to the fact, the Switch Lite is a whole new design, it of course needs to be approved by the FCC because of the internal 'wireless modules', and since everything is now on one motherboard in the new Switch Lite, we get to see a nice complete teardown of it! :)

FCC1.png FCC2.png FCC3.png FCC4.png
(Click on thumbnails above, for nice close-up views!)

:arrow: Source #1: MaxConsole
:arrow: Source #2: FCCID

Attachments

• 04-Short-Term-Confidential-Internal-Photo-4376240.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 124
Last edited by Quantumcat,

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
OP
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
View attachment 175523

First time I see this avatar fitting so well to the post.

Don't forgot, now the DOCK is not really 'part of Switch system', developers making games, don't have to waste time adding 1080p textures, or joycon support, they can just take their as-is mobile game, port it over, and call it a night, no need to add extra 'switch features', since the Switch Lite has none, its no longer mandatory in the Switch SDK to support 'at home game playing'

Be ready, for flood of 'shovelware' on the eShop, with tons of ported over mobile games, anything on Google Play will soon be appearing on Switch near you.

They may as well just had released Android on the Switch to start with a couple of years ago, instead of wasting all that original effort on developing the Horizon OS.

The only thing missing in Switch Lite is for 4G/5G SIM Card slot, don't worry big 'N' will add that soon enough and call it the New Switch Lite announcement coming soon (next year in July), now more portable to enjoy anyplace, no more will a phone be need to be on you and tethered to your Switch.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Only Nintendo would put a smaller battery in a revision of a system. Lol

Why have a battery at all, when you at home with Dock, just take it out, forgot the dock also since you got the Switch Lite for your 'on the go playing' and put both of them together, and well remove that screen that is useless when you docked, and call it the Switch Wii.... :) (your new always at Home Console!) - Don''t worry we will throw in Wii Fit Balance Board with it as bundle, since well you always stuck at home, and not one of those outdoor gamers! :)

Last edited by garyopa,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Further digging resulted in more photos of the boards, including the board found in the New Switch. The battery is the same, but the CPU is different, codenamed "MODIN", as in modified ODIN. Sadly, the actual die is obscured in the photos.

batteries.jpg thor.jpg

From top to bottom, old Switch (ODIN), new Switch (MODIN) and Switch Lite (VALI).

:arrow: Source (The Verge)

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Further digging resulted in more photos of the boards, including the board found in the New Switch. The battery is the same, but the CPU is different, codenamed "MODIN", as in modified ODIN. Sadly, the actual die is obscured in the photos.

View attachment 175569 View attachment 175570

From top to bottom, old Switch (ODIN), new Switch (MODIN) and Switch Lite (VALI).

spawn wave has clear photos in links on his YouTube channel. It’s funny you say the battery is the same as the old. Cause according to spawn wave, the revision is using the slightly smaller battery the lite model uses.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

View attachment 175569 View attachment 175570

they are incorrect, the original switches use NTR-CPU-01/NTR-CPU-02/NTR-CPU-10/NTR-CPU-20 as the original board names, ODIN didn't appear till the FCC filing for the new updated lower battery consumption model afaik, I'm wondering if its simply ODIN was the dev pre-release board name and MODIN is the consumer board marking

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
they are incorrect, the original switches use NTR-CPU-01/NTR-CPU-02/NTR-CPU-10/NTR-CPU-20 as the original board names, ODIN didn't appear till the FCC filing for the new updated lower battery consumption model afaik, I'm wondering if its simply ODIN was the dev pre-release board name and MODIN is the consumer board marking
I can only assume that the boards are named differently for internal testing than they are in consumer models, which isn't uncommon.

spawn wave has clear photos in links on his YouTube channel. It’s funny you say the battery is the same as the old. Cause according to spawn wave, the revision is using the slightly smaller battery the lite model uses.
That's interesting. It would be weird for Nintendo to send incorrect photos to the FCC, although admittedly, the purpose of this is to show off the wireless module, so the retail units likely differ. Now that they're in the wild, I'd trust teardowns of the retail units.

Reactions: chartube12

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting, I already found the new white thumbsticks for sale and from the look of it they are official ones (some differences but maybe some parts are new, possibly to prvent/fix drift).
I wonder if the dpad will fit the dpad shells for regular joycons, that way we could get all white button joycons once lite replacement parts become more common.

Not sure how I feel about the membrane triggers, I know that's how Nintendo usually make them, including the pro controller, but I liked the click on the joycon triggers (granted I fixed the spring creak and adjusted the travel). At least they'll last much longer and won't break so easily when kids start dropping lites like there's no tomorrow.

And are those regular rumble modules in the gray modules on either side? At first I thought it might be weights but they're wired to the mother and daughter boards. But they didnt advertise rumble at all did they, just that there was no hd rumble right?

Reactions: Reynardine

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Interesting, I already found the new white thumbsticks for sale and from the look of it they are official ones (some differences but maybe some parts are new, possibly to prvent/fix drift).
I wonder if the dpad will fit the dpad shells for regular joycons, that way we could get all white button joycons once lite replacement parts become more common.

Not sure how I feel about the membrane triggers, I know that's how Nintendo usually make them, including the pro controller, but I liked the click on the joycon triggers (granted I fixed the spring creak and adjusted the travel). At least they'll last much longer and won't break so easily when kids start dropping lites like there's no tomorrow.

And are those regular rumble modules in the gray modules on either side? At first I thought it might be weights but they're wired to the mother and daughter boards. But they didnt advertise rumble at all did they, just that there was no hd rumble right?
nope, those are the speakers

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ll have to rewatch the vids I shared. Don’t remember if it was spawn wave or beat’em ups. One then claimed the left and right joy-con colors are now swapped in the neon color back.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only Nintendo would put a smaller battery in a revision of a system. Lol

That's interesting. It would be weird for Nintendo to send incorrect photos to the FCC, although admittedly, the purpose of this is to show off the wireless module, so the retail units likely differ. Now that they're in the wild, I'd trust teardowns of the retail units.

Why is everyone so freaking focused on the battery capacity!? This has be covered multiple times in multiple sources:
  • The battery is the same capacity
  • Original is 4310mAh, so is the new one
  • FCC filing shows the revision having 4310mAh battery
  • The video posted by SWM clearly shows the markings on the new battery - read "4310mAh"
  • The battery is the same cpacity
  • Nintendo's own website lists both the original and the revision Switch as having 4310mAh batteries
  • THE BATTERY IS THE SAME ****ING CAPACITY
Give it a rest with the battery, people.

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I’ll have to rewatch the vids I shared. Don’t remember if it was spawn wave or beat’em ups. One then claimed the left and right joy-con colors are now swapped in the neon color back.
That was spawn wave, to me they look the same though, blue on the left, red on the right. Are the US versions of the og switch the other way around or was he just wrong about it? Or was he talking about the separate joy-con packs you can buy, those colours are flipped over here but actual switch models both come with a blue left and red right joy-con pair.

Then again we also get a both red pair and both blue pair joy-con packs in the UK, if you're buying just the joy-cons that is, so I'm not quite sure what his point was when talking about the colours.

Last edited by Rasa39,

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Why is everyone so freaking focused on the battery capacity!? This has be covered multiple times in multiple sources:
  • The video posted by SWM clearly shows the markings on the new battery - read "4310mAh"
  • Nintendo's own website lists both the original and the revision Switch as having 4310mAh batteries
Okay buddy, I think some of these people are talking about the switch lite

The New Switch has the same battery yes, The Switch lite does not.
It's battery characteristics are 3v8 3570mAh 13.6W

Source (ffc)

So the switch lite will actually have less battery time than the new switch.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That was spawn wave, to me they look the same though, blue on the left, red on the right. Are the US versions of the og switch the other way around or was he just wrong about it? Or was he talking about the separate joy-con packs you can buy, those colours are flipped over here but actual switch models both come with a blue left and red right joy-con pair.

Then again we also get a both red pair and both blue pair joy-con packs in the UK, if you're buying just the joy-cons that is, so I'm not quite sure what his point was when talking about the colours.
Some Switches have the neon colors swapped, before the New switch was released, cause one of my buddies had right red, left blue, and I had Vice-versa

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Uhm... Relax? We don't have a time machine, I haven't seen any proper teardowns before I made that post. The thing literally just came out, it will take some time before everyone catches up.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhm... Relax? We don't have a time machine, I haven't seen any proper teardowns before I made that post. The thing literally just came out, it will take some time before everyone catches up.

spawn wave did a tear down. He says the battery in the revision is the smaller one. I guess it’s possible he mistakenly thought the original battery was bigger than it actually is. Bad mistake to make considering he opened both units right in front of us in the video I shared.i guess he misspoke.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retail Erista boards are labeled HAC-CPU-xx. Retail Mariko boards are labeled HAD-CPU-xx. ODIN-CPU-Xx (second x being a number) appear to be for (pre-launch?) Erista EDEVs. MODIN-CPU-Xx appear to be for (pre-launch?) Mariko EDEVs. VALI appears to be for Switch lite dev units. I'm guessing retail lite boards will be HDH-CPU-xx.

Edit: added retail Mariko board

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Don't forget your one a day