New Prototype DS Lite Discovered

1684812241070.png
A few weeks ago a new prototype DS lite was acquired by ProtonX with help from lasscat. The DS lite is a CPU-X4, which is currently the latest known prototype. The motherboard is almost identical to the retail CPU-01, with the exception of a two curious through holes for a DS phat microphone to be installed. It appears like the microphone hole is on CPU-X3 and may be on CPU-X2B as well, but this is the first time is had been properly documented. The shell uses unreleased colors, has the backwards Nintendo logo, and similar labeling to the CPU-03 proto submitted in FCC documents. There are also "dev" stickers slapped around the console that suggest it came from Nintendo's RED, however unlike the shell and board, these may not be genuine. Some have suggested they may have been added by a third party, as so far as we know Nintendo has never used that font on their stickers.

This was also only posted about online by this random Twitter account with 3 tweets only, adding to the suspicious nature of the stickers and console.

Disappointingly this prototype did not have any new firmware/BIOS and was on the latest 2006/03/08 11:19 firmware. The console's SL1 terminal (firmware write protection) has been soldered shut suggesting that someone, either Nintendo or someone else down the line, has updated and overwritten any prototype firmware.

Check out the source for more information as well as full motherboard photos.
:arrow: Source

Last edited by rvtr,

1dkreally

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
1dkreally.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The colour looks great, I definitely would have wanted one!

Disappointingly this prototype did not have any new firmware/BIOS and was on the latest 2006/03/08 11:19 firmware. The console's SL1 terminal (firmware write protection) has been soldered shut suggesting that someone, either Nintendo or someone else down the line, has updated and overwritten any prototype firmware.

I wonder why they might have overwritten it? Would've been pretty cool to see the original firmware, if there was any.

Reactions: SylverReZ and rvtr

KarlslandOtaku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like others have already said that's a very nice color shell. I hope it's a real prototype but these days it can be hard to tell unfortunately.

Reactions: rvtr

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
OP
Trophies
Website
randommeaninglesscharacters.com
XP
Country
Canada
I dunno, for now I'm going to go with "this is a high quality fake" until more information is known. It's a bit too fishy and talented people have made high quality fake Nintendo consoles before...
It appears to be genuine hardware. The stickers are definitely fishy, yes, but the rest of it is definitely proto.

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
OP
Trophies
Website
randommeaninglesscharacters.com
XP
Country
Canada
Dump! That! Firmware!
I think you missed the last part of the post :P

Reactions: SylverReZ

protonx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can personally say that the motherboard and shell are legitimate. I have the console and disassembled it for the photos. The build quality of the shell is what you would expect from Nintendo.

As for the stickers- no idea, they were on the console when it was sold (but there is no way to confirm when they were placed on it).

etuev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I love prototypes, more should be shown off to the public, may even have prototype software on it too and help emulation efforts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?