ROM Hack Fire Emblem Fates Expanded Same-Sex Marriage Patch [WIP]

hhavenh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've sucked up a lot of information in the last few hours, and I really love everything to do with what's going on here. I have discovered that due to my 3DS being version 10.6, that I cannot use some of the tools necessary to HANS or NFT CFW (as little as I currently understand of the process.)

I've found some links about downgrading to 9.2 so the options will work, but I fear these are so very far beyond me in complexity. Like, I'm not ever sure how to copy things to a root SD or how to launch SafeSysUpdate, but that isn't my current question.

At present I'm wondering;

1 - if the instructions above will be viable if the HANS platforms or NTF CFW are updated to exploit the current updates in addition to the old ones
2 - and how likely it is that exploits will be found, making a downgrade from 10.6 or higher unnecessary?

Cii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know an extractor to use for the Hans folder. I tried using Winrar with Windows but it doesn't seem to work even if the text looks fine. (I compared from the previous post and I have 4kb instead of 3kb)
Edit: For the Japanese text files

Last edited by Cii,

sinnohborn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hello
so i got the hack to work perfectly and got to a point where silas/kaze and mamui/xander can s-support and went to try the file edit to get the children. HxD works fine but when i go to open BatchLZ77 a window pops up saying "BatchLZ77 has stopped working windows is checking for a solution to the problem". I feel its just my computer but does anyone know how i can run it? or an alternate way to decompress the file?
thanks for making this and for any help offered!

~Poke~

Trophies
XP
Country
So I've sucked up a lot of information in the last few hours, and I really love everything to do with what's going on here. I have discovered that due to my 3DS being version 10.6, that I cannot use some of the tools necessary to HANS or NFT CFW (as little as I currently understand of the process.)

I've found some links about downgrading to 9.2 so the options will work, but I fear these are so very far beyond me in complexity. Like, I'm not ever sure how to copy things to a root SD or how to launch SafeSysUpdate, but that isn't my current question.

At present I'm wondering;

1 - if the instructions above will be viable if the HANS platforms or NTF CFW are updated to exploit the current updates in addition to the old ones
2 - and how likely it is that exploits will be found, making a downgrade from 10.6 or higher unnecessary?

The only requirement for running HANS is to be able to run any homebrew at all. You need homebrew to downgrade, so if you can't run HANS you can't downgrade either.

I haven't kept up with the latest exploit news since I'm on 9.2, but I think your only convenient option is a hacked save for Ocarina of Time 3D.
This thread isn't really about this, so you can find more info on OoT3DHax here. To install the hacked save file you'll need another 3DS that can run homebrew (borrow a friend's?)

Before answering your questions, note that there are two separate "layers" of exploit here - a userland exploit, usually called a *hax will let you run Homebrew. A kernel exploit makes it possible to downgrade or to run a CFW (people downgrade to 9.2 because later kernel exploits are very unreliable). Userland exploits are a bit scarce right now, but relatively common. The web browser in particular is a likely target, and will probably see a few more exploits this year (no promises though!) Kernel exploits are a lot harder to find, though people have had more luck recently. 10.6 definitely has one, (and I believe it works on 10.7 too?) but if you want to use this (to downgrade, run CFW) be very careful about any future updates.

Personally I think your best bet is to go buy OoT3D second hand, find a friend with a 9.0 - 10.5 3DS you can borrow (install OoT3DHax via browserhax, if on 9.9 or later you'll need to change the date such that UTC is in 1999 I believe? Not sure, research this), and then use that to downgrade your console - every step of which is relatively complex if you don't understand it all, so be sure to read up if you're dedicated to getting homebrew.

Reactions: hhavenh

hhavenh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only requirement for running HANS is to be able to run any homebrew at all. You need homebrew to downgrade, so if you can't run HANS you can't downgrade either.

I haven't kept up with the latest exploit news since I'm on 9.2, but I think your only convenient option is a hacked save for Ocarina of Time 3D.
This thread isn't really about this, so you can find more info on OoT3DHax here. To install the hacked save file you'll need another 3DS that can run homebrew (borrow a friend's?)

Before answering your questions, note that there are two separate "layers" of exploit here - a userland exploit, usually called a *hax will let you run Homebrew. A kernel exploit makes it possible to downgrade or to run a CFW (people downgrade to 9.2 because later kernel exploits are very unreliable). Userland exploits are a bit scarce right now, but relatively common. The web browser in particular is a likely target, and will probably see a few more exploits this year (no promises though!) Kernel exploits are a lot harder to find, though people have had more luck recently. 10.6 definitely has one, (and I believe it works on 10.7 too?) but if you want to use this (to downgrade, run CFW) be very careful about any future updates.

Personally I think your best bet is to go buy OoT3D second hand, find a friend with a 9.0 - 10.5 3DS you can borrow (install OoT3DHax via browserhax, if on 9.9 or later you'll need to change the date such that UTC is in 1999 I believe? Not sure, research this), and then use that to downgrade your console - every step of which is relatively complex if you don't understand it all, so be sure to read up if you're dedicated to getting homebrew.

This is very helpful, thank you! I can't entirely figure out how OOt3DShax helps me, though. I remember reading about it yesterday, but I can't find the link that told me if I can use it to downgrade or if I can use it to run the HANS or CFW? ( or is this what you meant with the 'if you want to use this (to downgrade, run CFW)'? As in doing this will allow me to do both?) I can get a Oot Cartridge and found a way to use Powersave to get the Homebrew Launcher onto my DS (using this link , which maybe means I don't need a secondary 3DS???), but after that point I'm sort of confused about my next steps. Would you mind if I PMed you, so this thread doesn't get distracted away from questions directly relating to the Fates patch?

EDIT: Wait, I need to use Oot3DShax to get Homebrew, and then I use Homebrew to downgrade, and then I can use my 3DS to run the HANS or CFW to get the patch, correct?

Last edited by hhavenh,

UnassumingVenusaur

In All Her Gay Glory
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone who has NA conquest, could you possibly PM me its exefs.bin? It's needed to create the NTR CFW plugin. (Unless someone already has the plugin and I don't know about it. If so, it would be nice if you could just send me the plugin.)

Reactions: Shiiouri

Jesskas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What's the current status about credits crashing or not, if anyone knows?

I'm about to use the children hack before an S support conversation for F!Avatar and Camilla and want to know if the credits are more or less likely to crash having done that hack at all.

--

On another note. So I wanted to see if my CS degree was good for anything and tried to see if I could just create the S conversation between F!Avatar and Camilla myself, and I attached my [uncompressed] "attempt" from seeing how your F!Avatar and Oboro conversation was organized. I don't think I'm missing anything but I probably am lol

So I built the romfs but it wouldn't load the conversation. I spent hours googling; where's a good reference for what the character blocks in GameData/GameData.bin.lz contain byte by byte? Also what's the notation for the seemingly random filenames for the files that have the support conversations you added?
(Also possible but I hope not, I failed to compress the support conversation correctly)
Much appreciated ; u ;

Attachments

• SupportAttempt.rar
    4.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited by Jesskas,
Reactions: 00technocolor00

sinnohborn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was wondering if it would be too much trouble for someone to send me a game data.bin.lz with xander, kaze, and shigure's gender byte changed. Batch lz77 is unable to work for me so (de)compressing is impossible. Any help is very much appreciated thank you!

AdrianicSea

Trophies
Website
rygabe.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
On another note. So I wanted to see if my CS degree was good for anything and tried to see if I could just create the S conversation between F!Avatar and Camilla myself, and I attached my [uncompressed] "attempt" from seeing how your F!Avatar and Oboro conversation was organized. I don't think I'm missing anything but I probably am lol

So I built the romfs but it wouldn't load the conversation. I spent hours googling; where's a good reference for what the character blocks in GameData/GameData.bin.lz contain byte by byte? Also what's the notation for the seemingly random filenames for the files that have the support conversations you added?
(Also possible but I hope not, I failed to compress the support conversation correctly)
Much appreciated ; u ;
I can't speak for the file compression, but for file names, you just use the kanji of the character's Japanese names, with an underscore between them! For example, the file name for Azura and Hinoka's support is "アクア_ヒノカ", which just translates to "Azura_Hinoka." This is the same basic format all support file names use, with a few exceptions (just from what I've noticed poking around the files myself)-- there are extra characters added for parent/child supports, sibling supports, and in the unique case of Azura with Corrin, a character is added at the end of Azura's name to denote which route you're on.

If you need to find the kanji for a character's name, the Fire Emblem Wiki has all of them! Again, a couple things to keep in mind from what I've noticed: the notation used for Corrin is プレイヤー女, which doesn't match up with what the Wiki has listed as their kanji. When naming files, you should put the characters' names in ABC order, according to their Japanese names. For example, if you wrote a support between Niles and Silas, you would still put Silas' name first because Niles' Japanese name is Zero. It seems like it's conventional to put Corrin's name last no matter what. There's a support file in the hack that has Corrin's name listed first (Corrin/Rinkah,) so I don't think it's gamebreaking if you put Corrin first, but every other file has Corrin listed last, so I would personally just stick with that.

As for your question about a breakdown of the character blocks, I don't think a solid breakdown has been posted publicly for Fates yet, but there was one done for Awakening. It obviously won't be exactly the same (particularly the reclassing bytes, since reclassing is so much different in Fates), but it might make a decent starting point to understanding what the bytes in Fates mean. Credit for this breakdown goes to @DeathChaos25 , who originally posted it in the Gay Awakening thread.
zFl2Vkv.png

The Gay Awakening thread actually has quite a bit of discovery about how Fire Emblem's data works in it, so if you have the time, you might find it helpful to read through it! Again, I'm sure not all of the information in there will apply to Fates, but it's personally helped me to better understand what's going on under the hood of the games.

Reactions: Jesskas

Jesskas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't speak for the file compression, but for file names, you just use the kanji of the character's Japanese names, with an underscore between them! For example, the file name for Azura and Hinoka's support is "アクア_ヒノカ", which just translates to "Azura_Hinoka." This is the same basic format all support file names use, with a few exceptions (just from what I've noticed poking around the files myself)-- there are extra characters added for parent/child supports, sibling supports, and in the unique case of Azura with Corrin, a character is added at the end of Azura's name to denote which route you're on.

If you need to find the kanji for a character's name, the Fire Emblem Wiki has all of them! Again, a couple things to keep in mind from what I've noticed: the notation used for Corrin is プレイヤー女, which doesn't match up with what the Wiki has listed as their kanji. When naming files, you should put the characters' names in ABC order, according to their Japanese names. For example, if you wrote a support between Niles and Silas, you would still put Silas' name first because Niles' Japanese name is Zero. It seems like it's conventional to put Corrin's name last no matter what. There's a support file in the hack that has Corrin's name listed first (Corrin/Rinkah,) so I don't think it's gamebreaking if you put Corrin first, but every other file has Corrin listed last, so I would personally just stick with that.

As for your question about a breakdown of the character blocks, I don't think a solid breakdown has been posted publicly for Fates yet, but there was one done for Awakening. It obviously won't be exactly the same (particularly the reclassing bytes, since reclassing is so much different in Fates), but it might make a decent starting point to understanding what the bytes in Fates mean. Credit for this breakdown goes to @DeathChaos25 , who originally posted it in the Gay Awakening thread.
zFl2Vkv.png

The Gay Awakening thread actually has quite a bit of discovery about how Fire Emblem's data works in it, so if you have the time, you might find it helpful to read through it! Again, I'm sure not all of the information in there will apply to Fates, but it's personally helped me to better understand what's going on under the hood of the games.
I found the kanji and katakana and whatnot just fine. :P The file attached should effectively show that I found Kamira_Pureiyaa(F) (in Japanese) and made changes to that. I wasn't aware about the Azura route specific though.

UnassumingVenusaur's support conversations followed a different format, though, it's a weird mix of characters like オボロ_プレイヤー女.bin.lz and I have to wonder why...

And, ah, that's why I couldn't find a breakdown for it then. :c I don't know how to find the character blocks yet (besides the one she posted for individual characters) but they didn't seem to be as many bytes as what you're showing... like that diagram shows nearly 0x220 bytes per a single character, but she said one character (Elise) was at 0x1e90 and another (Arthur) was at 0x1f28, and the distance between those isn't 0x220...

I wanted to know how she gets the game (it has to be in GameData/GameData.bin.lz) to point to the support conversation files she created. c:

Xana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UnassumingVenusaur's support conversations followed a different format, though, it's a weird mix of characters like オボロ_プレイヤー女.bin.lz and I have to wonder why...
Your decompressor doesn't support wide (Japanese) characters, so your filenames are corrupted.

Jesskas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Your decompressor doesn't support wide (Japanese) characters, so your filenames are corrupted.
No, when extracting the files from the romfs, the filenames are just fine (no error in Kanji or Kana that I can see) and everything else works. These are the files that UnassumingVenusaur's patch has, if you check the HANS folder and then m/@E.

Last edited by Jesskas,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying