Homebrew [Tutorial] How to Install OoT3DHax

Deleted member 370283

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS AN EXTREMELY OUTDATED METHOD OF INSTALLING OOTHAX.

OOT3DHAX FOR *HAX 2.5
hooray

Well everyone, yesterday yellows8 and smealum officially released some support for OoT3DHax with *hax 2.5, so I figure that now is a better time than ever to get a tutorial done.
This time around, there are quite a bit of ways that you can install the hax, so pick your method and get moving!

METHOD 1: SECONDARY HAX
This method is the traditional, original method, which requires another entrypoint for installation.

PLEASE NOTE: Even if you had an old version of OoT3DHax using ninjhax 2.1, you'll still need to follow ALL of the steps!

1.) Download the 'homebrew starter kit', which now includes the exploit installer.
2.) Drag the contents of the .ZIP file directly to the SD card
4.) Follow the steps to get Ironhax/Ninjhax/Menuhax/Rumblehax/WHATEVERhax working and back up your OoT3D saves. (You can use this if you'd like.)
5.) Go ahead and launch OoT3D, and as the game is booting, hold A, B, X, and Y. This will bring up a prompt asking if you want to wipe the save files. Go through with it, and wipe all save data. (Remember, this can be restored later if you want.)
6.) Exit out of OoT3D, and load your preferred exploit again. This time, run the OoT3DHax installer.
6 1/2.) Follow all of the onscreen instructions. Mostly everything should automatically detected, so just give all of the options a quick glance before progressing.
7.) If all goes well, the payload should successfully install.
8.) Restart the system and boot up OoT3D again. There should now be a savefile named 'Haxxxxxx**********...' which extends past the screen. Go ahead and start that one.
9.) Click any of the menu buttons, interact with anything, play the ocarina... basically do any action to trigger something.
10.) The Homebrew Launcher should load up, now with *hax 2.5! :D

DEMO VIDEO COMING SOON

METHOD 2: POWERSAVES
Here's a method using Datel's 3DS Powersave Device, which basically directly installs the save.

For the sake of not repeating things, check out Ignisflame's thread here. It pretty much covers all that you need for this method.

METHOD 3: DS FLASHING
Probably the most inconvenient way, this is still a method of getting them good old hax into OoT3D. Thank zoogie for writing up this tutorial!

Minimum Hardware Needed:
DSlite/phat + DS flashcard.

1. Download DSsavemanager http://3dbrew.org/wiki/DSaveManager
2. Download the save files here https://github.com/yellows8/oot3dha...t3dhax_rawsaveimages_haxpayloads_11-10-15.zip
3. Find your 3ds's save in the raw 'saveimages' folder (refer to the oot3dhax repo readme). If you don't know what card remaster type you have, just grab both.
4. Place the 2 raw .sav files and DSM.nds in your DS flash microSD root.
5. This is the tricky part. You will either need to saw off the nub of the corner of your zelda cart or open it, take out the board, and place it in a ds card shell.
6. Now boot up DSM.nds and select "Restore save(FAT)" Find your save and select it.
7. Replace the DS flashcard with OOT and Press A to write the save. Done! Enjoy your OOT3Dhax. (if the 1st save didn't work, try the second)

I have tested this method and it works.

Aaaaaand there you have it, ladies and gentlemen! Once OoT3DHax is installed, go on and do a little happy dance! You now have a backup entrypoint.
Happy homebrewing! :)

Old Tutorial:
Hello all! So, after having a bit of trouble with getting this to work, I decided that I'd make a tutorial on how to use this for general convenience.

PLEASE NOTE: This is so far confirmed to work with 9.2 EU (only on a physical copy), 9.9 all regions, and 10.0 in all regions. I haven't seen much of any one else test this on other firmwares, so if you could, that'd be super cool. Oh, and also, I didn't create this exploit. I'm merely teaching you how to install it.

1.) Download the 'oot3dhax_installer'
2.) Drag the '3ds' folder directly to the root of your SD card to go alongside your other homebrew.
3.) Download any homebrew in a .3DSX format and place it in the installer's app folder. (it's called 'ootsdhax_installer') The file can be named anything (besides 'boot'), but for convenience, I just named it 'payload.3dsx'.
4.) Follow the steps to get TubeHax/IronHax working and back up your OoT3D saves. (You can use this.)
5.) Go ahead and launch OoT3D, and as the game is booting, hold A, B, X, and Y. This will ask you if you want to wipe the save files. Go through with it, and wipe all save data. (Remember, this can be restored later if you want.)
6.) Exit out of OoT3D, and load TubeHax/IronHax again. This time, run the OoT3DHax installer and follow all of the instructions.
7.) If all goes well, the payload should successfully install.
8.) Boot up OoT3D again. There should now be a savefile named 'idleaway**********...' which extends past the screen. Go ahead and start that one.
9.) Click any of the menu buttons, interact with anything, play the ocarina... basically do any action to trigger something.
10.) Your .3DSX should now load!

Happy homebrewing! :D

VIDEO TUTORIAL:

Last edited by Deleted member 370283,

meladroit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is this the same thing like ironhax or does this have more avantagges?
Exact same thing—it's just a fork of the ironhax installer made to work with OoT3D. It's definitely a stopgap, mostly for JPN 9.9, for which the only other offline homebrew option is Cubic Ninja. (And if you thought USA/EUR Cubic Ninja prices were exorbitant ...)

Hopefully a formal oot3dhax release isn't far down the line, with support for a wider range of firmware versions, and waiving the requirement to wipe the save data to make room for the payload (which is big—seven save files' worth—but can be compressed like it is for ironhax).

bunny365

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can Ninjhax 1.1 work with this?
PLEASE NOTE: This only seems works with the 9.9 FW (all regions). I haven't seen much of any one else test this on other firmwares, so if you could, that'd be super cool. Oh, and also, I didn't create this exploit. I'm merely teaching you how to install it.
Read the OP...

phant0mg33k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate to post pasta but on the get hub it is written:

Quick overview
We already have all the pieces in place:

• smea's sploit_installer, which downloads ninjhax2 otherapp payloads
  • smea's oot3dhax fork from yellows8, which works
So it's just a matter of making it use OoT3D saves instead of ironhax saves. If you wanted to use regionFOUR or ninjhax1 payloads and fetch them either from a different URL or from the SD card, there's nothing stopping you as long as those payloads support otherapp (which the ironhax payloads do, since they're built for apps that aren't Cubic Ninja).

One optional item we would like:

• a quick modification that should let us load payload from SD card, not gamecard
This last one is necessary because OoT3D apparently isn't made of free save partition space, and can't hold both a ninjhax2 payload and more than one save file. ironhax apparently has a similar problem, since the ironhax installer does compress the payload before writing it to save data. However, if we can just load the payload from the SD card, this makes our lives easier. A few dozen kilobytes isn't much to ask from an SD card these days.

Reactions: thaikhoa

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I hate to post pasta but on the get hub it is written:

Quick overview
We already have all the pieces in place:

• smea's sploit_installer, which downloads ninjhax2 otherapp payloads
  • smea's oot3dhax fork from yellows8, which works
So it's just a matter of making it use OoT3D saves instead of ironhax saves. If you wanted to use regionFOUR or ninjhax1 payloads and fetch them either from a different URL or from the SD card, there's nothing stopping you as long as those payloads support otherapp (which the ironhax payloads do, since they're built for apps that aren't Cubic Ninja).

One optional item we would like:

• a quick modification that should let us load payload from SD card, not gamecard
This last one is necessary because OoT3D apparently isn't made of free save partition space, and can't hold both a ninjhax2 payload and more than one save file. ironhax apparently has a similar problem, since the ironhax installer does compress the payload before writing it to save data. However, if we can just load the payload from the SD card, this makes our lives easier. A few dozen kilobytes isn't much to ask from an SD card these days.
No. It doesn't work like that. The bug needed to load the exploit necessary to load Pasta or anything like it just isn't there in 9.9. But congratulations on having a vivid imagination.

suloku

Trophies
XP
Country
They're both the same. Ironfall is better because it's free. The good news is, that OoT3D is still available on eShop for $$ :D
I think the best part is that the cartridge is available even if they remove it from eshop.
Also, it is one of the games I want to own for 3ds, I just don't have the money to spend on a game I can play on my gamecube (and have done multiple times).

bunny365

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're both the same. Ironfall is better because it's free. The good news is, that OoT3D is still available on eShop for $$ :D
If you have Ocarina of Time 3D, though, I believe it's faster getting to the Homebrew Launcher than Ironfall, because Ironfall has the V.D. Dev (or whatever it is) logo with a loading screen before and after it. I'm actually going to time it now to see.
EDIT: Timing from when the screen blackens after the Nintendo 3DS logo to when the Homebrew Launcher appears (and you button mash):
Ocarina of Time 3D: 19.5 seconds
Ironfall Invasion: 22.4 seconds
YouTube (all attempts): 46.0 seconds
YouTube (successful attempt): 16.6 seconds

Last edited by bunny365,

Baccabechoppin

GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So will this only boot the homebrew app located inside the installer file? If so is it possible to have several applications in there so I can choose what to run?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Purple_Heart was a SSD worth it? Did it make a significant diference?\