• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Far Right Presidential Candidate Wins in Argentina

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So all the protests in America against racial segregation were illegitimate? Governments on the right usually criminalise behaviour they dislike.
Just the ones that blocked streets without a permit. I don’t know why you expect me to grant special exceptions here, I don’t care what the cause is, get off the road. I might even agree with the cause, but if I see you blocking the road, I want you catapulted into an active volcano.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just the ones that blocked streets without a permit. I don’t know why you expect me to grant special exceptions here, I don’t care what the cause is, get off the road. I might even agree with the cause, but if I see you blocking the road, I want you catapulted into an active volcano.
I second this. It doesn't matter how moral or immoral the cause is; it isn't an excuse to break the law and inconvenience everyone else.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Interesting to see how many of you would have all become enthusiastic supporters of a corrupt regime. Or maybe lazy ones.
Nah, it's just a fact. Inconsistent line of thinking too, with personal liberty being more flexible than an elastic band
I support getting to work on time. Get off the road. Go bother the government - not only do I support that, I encourage it. Do your sit-in in city hall.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That would be ideal, but I'm sure that it was mentioned somewhere else that occupying city halls is also illegal so, by previous reasoning, you'd be against that too.

There are also matters and principles in life more important than work eh. And this from me, who finds punctuality quite attractive.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That would be ideal, but I'm sure that it was mentioned somewhere else that occupying city halls is also illegal so, by previous reasoning, you'd be against that too.

There are also matters and principles in life more important than work eh. And this from me, who finds punctuality quite attractive.
Oh, I don’t care about what you do in government buildings - that’s redress of grievances. In my eyes, you’re innocent. If I’m on a jury, I’ll say as much. What the government says about occupying government buildings is of no interest to me - those buildings belong to the public.

Edit: For the record, me going to the shop to get some doughnuts is more important than your protest. You’re the one blocking me, not the reverse. Get off the road.

Last edited by Foxi4,

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Hey guys, while you're discussing these things I just wanted to let you know 6 hours ago Milei announced an unconstitutional decree that changes more than 300 laws and derogates 300 more, that's the closest we've ever been to a break in our democracy since 1983. People went out to protest and "CACEROLAZO" (the act of hitting a pan with a stick to make noise in protest, very common here in Argentina) was trending in twitter but was shadow-banned by Musk, instead they put "Thanks Milei" as #1 TT even with less tweets. Now "Coup d'etat" was trending and instead of shadow-banning it, they shut off twitter altogether. We can't access it at all.
What does Twitter have to do with Argentina and Milei? In one of those 300 decrees Milei announced the selling of "ARSAT" (our public owned satellital company) in favour for STARLINK to come to Argentina. This is the first time in our history where a president announced something directly naming the benefitted company.

So yeah, keep talking about my country.

Reactions: Dark_Ansem and Xzi

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, while you're discussing these things I just wanted to let you know 6 hours ago Milei announced an unconstitutional decree that changes more than 300 laws and derogates 300 more, that's the closest we've ever been to a break in our democracy since 1983. People went out to protest and "CACEROLAZO" (the act of hitting a pan with a stick to make noise in protest, very common here in Argentina) was trending in twitter but was shadow-banned by Musk, instead they put "Thanks Milei" as #1 TT even with less tweets. Now "Coup d'etat" was trending and instead of shadow-banning it, they shut off twitter altogether. We can't access it at all.
What does Twitter have to do with Argentina and Milei? In one of those 300 decrees Milei announced the selling of "ARSAT" (our public owned satellital company) in favour for STARLINK to come to Argentina. This is the first time in our history where a president announced something directly naming the benefitted company.

Sorry to hear that. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that Musk is lapping after this whole ordeal.

Reactions: Xzi

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
I literally just noticed that Twitter was down. I can't confirm anything myself, but I can totally see the "free speech absolutist" doing shady stuff.

If he had nothing to do with my country I wouldn't say anything, I despise conspiracists. But for the last few hours there were rumours about a social media shutdown and after all this ended up happening. Plus the shadowban thing which is 100% true.

Reactions: Xzi

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Every single sentence in this post is either hilariously over exaggerated or a straight-up conspiracy theory. That’s… frankly, amazing. :lol: You know Milei’s decree wasn’t some kind of secretive affair, right? It’s all over the news. We know what he said. He’s effectively planning to privatise all state-owned companies. Even the bit about SpaceX and Starlink is hilariously muddled - he’s planning to deregulate the internet services market to allow Starlink to operate in Argentina. Sometimes a service outage is just a service outage. #TwitterDown was trending in the UK too, Y’know why? Because it’s not unusual for Twitter to be temporarily down.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...eping-reforms-to-deregulate-argentina-economy

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Downplaying much?
Downplaying? This is a literal conspiracy theory supported by nothing. His Twitter conked out and he imagined some kind of international conspiracy with Elon Musk at the helm. Milei’s speech and the core points of his program are available on every major news network, as is information about the protests. If you think this is some Spy Games-style attempt at secretly subverting democracy then it’s the most poorly-executed one ever, considering everybody and their dog knows the details, information is readily available and updated live. The whole speech is on video. As a side note, and solely for the purposes of amusement, let’s pretend it’s true. Elon Musk *personally* went into a big room with a comically large map and pressed the big button that said “Argentina”, and a second later Twitter turned off for them and all the hashtags got jumbled. So what? You guys spent the last couple of years telling the right that private companies can do whatever they want and if they like/don’t like certain kinds of content, they can boost it, deboost it or do whatever else they fancy because they have no obligation to be balanced. Even if it *were* true (it’s not, it’s a hilarious stretch of the truth), it wouldn’t matter based on the standard your side of the political spectrum set.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think you're missing the point. It's not the conspiracy thing that is worrying, but the substance. A libertarian took what, a week to turn full-blown dictator?
it wouldn’t matter based on the standard your side of the political spectrum set.
Thank you, I'll make sure to keep applying this to your comments as well from now on.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think you're missing the point. It's not the conspiracy thing that is worrying, but the substance. A libertarian took what, a week to turn full-blown dictator?
Ansem. My brother. He campaigned by running around with a chainsaw screaming that he will deregulate everything in his path, and if it resists, he will use said chainsaw to deregulate its neck. He was literally elected to do exactly what he’s doing. In all fairness, a lot of this stuff will get bogged down in the courts, but I didn’t hear similar dissent when the U.S. was slapped left and right with a slew of Executive Orders (which I don’t like, and both sides are guilty of it).
Thank you, I'll make sure to keep applying this to your comments as well from now on.
I never had any obligation to be balanced, I’m just a dude on the Internet. My personal opinions do not represent the website, and I never purported that they did. The closest person who could speak on behalf of the website is @Costello, and I have a feeling he’s not a fan of Milei given the fact that he’s a long-term Berner, unless something has changed in recent history. I wouldn’t know.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WUOq1dlZWxI?si=LBlEJwZfwtWShljP lol Denmark can't handle the spice