Hacking FALSE: Gateway 3DS Bricking Mechanism Discovered

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I may not have a bricked console, but at least I can feel as if my console is bricked. I really do know how people with bricked consoles feel, especially those with bricked consoles using legit gateway firmware. I, no, the 3ds community understands how you victims feel, but gateway obviously doesn't. Wish you all the best of luck.

I know that bricked feel, bro. That's why I find offensive when others put in doubt the word of users reporting that their console got bricked. May those 3DSes find salvation in the scene.

Reactions: placebooooo

juins

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm a bit disappointed by the way both Gateway and the administrator of that forum are handling this situation, it makes me think that probably Gateway became GetAway 3DS. An apologise would still be appreciated though.

Here's the actual explanation:

Gateway 3DS Bricking Mechanism Discovered
Expert members (specifically profi200) of ngb.to in collaboration with Normatt (who is in possession of the decrypted Gateway code) have discovered how Gateway bricks 3DS consoles, and how it is theoretically possible to fix it.​
Gateway uses a CPU emulator that executes MIPS-like code. The bricking code is hidden inside the portion of code that is executed by the CPU emulator. Once the bricking code is activated, the temporary write protect bit within CSD is set and the eMMC lock is activated.​
The people at Gateway can actually unbrick a 3DS WITHOUT a NAND dump by using a password which is unique for each 3DS and is generated using the CID of the NAND and which is then encrypted by the AES Engine of 3DS. By using this password, they can remove the lock and delete the write protect bit. That's why when Gateway initially posted the announcement about fixing bricked consoles they didn't mention requiring a NAND backup - because they really don't.​
The Gateway brick can be fixed by using a forced overwrite that deletes all write protection bits and completely removes the lock. However, this requires low level hardware access [to the eMMC] with a dev board (or device like raspberry pie) that supports SPI or SDIO. Unfortunately if this method is used, the entire NAND will be overwritten, which means a prior NAND dump is required. Furthermore, this isn't exactly easy and requires advanced soldering skills, so it is not a newbie friendly solution.​
So the bricking is indeed deliberate. The Gateway team placed several checksums inside 2.0b2 which trigger it under specific circumstances. It has been confirmed that the brick code and the checksums were not present before 2.0b2.​
And while it is aimed at clone cards, it can and has happened to legitimate Gateway users, too (which is unlikely, but not impossible).​
Now that the jig is up, maybe Gateway 3DS can be convinced to remove their dangerous code from their next firmware release to regain the trust of their customers.​
I would like to kindly ask the moderators not to lock this topic as this is important information.​
Also, please refrain from flaming me- I am merely the messenger.​
thank u for that kyogre123. i was like wtf is this i dont even then u cleared it up

Relenting

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
The way he writes is familiar, feels like I've seen it here...

Seems like "they" don't even believe their own words anymore - maybe "they" never have - it's truly just propaganda for the masses.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
the thing i dont understand why didnt Gateway use better hardware where it would be hard for clones to copy they work? Supercard has seem to done it.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh look, another lie by Gateway:

As if people are dumb enough to give in to the threats of GW and switch to the ones who made the bricking code in the first place. They aren't, are they?
The best part is, that quote says, "switching to a gateway after using a clone is 100% risk free". The quote in the op states word for word:
Even if you think you seen alot of LEGIT brick reports, the actual numbers and true ones are very very low, trust me when I say this, as alot of people have both flashcarts so even if they are claiming it bricked when using their LEGIT Gateway, alot of them used a Clone on same 3DS in the past, so they can't claim the brick is LEGIT
...OBJECTION!
And also, it's kind of ridiculous how that quote makes Normmatt look like some devil who just wanted to brick consoles for fun when there's an explanation that makes much more sense (which is simply: he didn't know).

Cyberdrive

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
the thing i dont understand why didnt Gateway use better hardware where it would be hard for clones to copy they work? Supercard has seem to done it.
They're too greedy for this. You can make $60 profit at $80 price point if your hardware costs $20 (going by the fact that clones are sold for ~$30), but you can't make $60 profit on $50 hardware (or at least your chances of selling $110 flashcart are way lower than $80 one).

tomiga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine if they just disappeared after all this. Man that would be depressing.

Well, if you think of it this way:
- They're bricking consoles
- They still haven't released 2.0 final and it seems to have been majorly postponed because of all this bricking stuff (or maybe it was never real to begin with, maybe there was no way for them to get NAND saving to work).

I dunno. Maybe the bricking code was delibrate for both legit and non-legit flashcards. Would make sense as to why the timebomb was based on the date.

AngryRussianKid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Please learn to read. Here's the important part: "We will have something in the next 48 hours most likely(regarding 2.0 update we have been waiting for desperately!!!!)"

How long until the next brick wave? Place your bets, gentlemen.

я не умею читать

Okay, but my heart beats faster and faster...

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
They're too greedy for this. You can make $60 profit at $80 price point if your hardware costs $20 (going by the fact that clones are sold for ~$30), but you can't make $60 profit on $50 hardware (or at least your chances of selling $110 flashcart are way lower than $80 one).

yes, by doing they shoot themselves in the foot. now the Gateway team have a bad rep, because it so easy to copy.

AngryRussianKid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Screenshot from our user

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-20-02-06-43.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-20-02-06-43.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 418

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Lets put a rule on these forums: No crying supplier allowed.

Legit or not, if it needs just one defective file to brick the 3DS, this product is not safe. If you put a wrong file on your DS flashcards, there is some mechanisms that "protect" the DS and on worst scenario you will get a bricked flashkit (do not try this kids, I'll not refund you, no even with a $100 shipping). I remember that when DS flashcards were not safe, the internet was full of disguised files, like DSBricker.nds disguised as Pokemon.nds
If I were Nintendo I would simply start to spread these files again, as all flashcards are vulnerable.

So kids, dont buy 3DS flashcards for now, avoid Gateway and Clones.

profi200

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What i have written on the other forum, is just my knowledge about this. The credits for that go to yellows8 and ichfly. Without them everyone would still think Gateway is right in everything, they say. Hopefully this shows you, they are not, what they promise to be and hopefully you can trust 3dbrew again after the decapping disaster.

The infos, i have given should be enough to unbrick every 3DS without sending it to Gateway and losing money, *if* you have a backup of the NAND.bin. Otherwise not, because the "emuNAND" partition can't be used for this, because Gateway reencrypted it with their own keys.

€:
Oh, and not to forget: This can't be done with any cardreader. You need a device capable of low level communication!

Good luck with recovering your 3DS/XL

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Lol i think it's pretty obvious what gateway is/was trying to do.

1st, intentionally bricking ppl's 3ds who use clones and pretending they dunno what's wrong, but saying that they warned ppl that using clones is a risk, till they got caught by a person who managed to read the code, and even so they will probly not really admit using brick code.

It's obvious they made the code to brick the 3ds, and most likelly have a simple way to also unbrick it, the reason why is cause now they wil come out as prince to the rescue of all bricked 3ds, but for sure not for free.

Their solution for the clone ppl will be either buy a gw and release a code that will fix the bricked 3ds, or release some other hardware for the fix, making them look like the heroes and at the same time increasing their sales, or at least it was how they wanted it to go down, if the brick code wasn't found.

If any 3ds using oficial gw with oficial launcher got bricked i'm sure they were prepared for it and dismissed it just as collateral damage. Normmat ruined their plans somewhat with the modified launcher causing their precious gw to also brick 3ds so now they're in a bind making the recent annoucements.

It's all assumptions on my part, but probly not far from the truth, all a plot to increase sales.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, a mixture of that and herbert the pervert +1