Dr. Wii, Ph.D
OP
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
To preface, I was one of the people that tried to help Rii Shop in January. However, it didn't work out. The code was a mess and did not work properly, the beta was released prior to making downloads properly work, and it made press headlines too fast. They also were considering making people buy Wii Points using PayPal, which is even more stupid. I told them how stupid it was and they didnt do it. Also, people that could help refused, saying that the documentation exists and they dont want to support piracy. It ended when the Discord got locked down after things went south, then one of the admins of WiiLink decided to ping over 20k people over the untrue claim that I used it to dox people in a voice channel by displaying serial numbers / ip / console nicks. Not only I was not responsible for this, but it was made worse when immature people thought I was lying because they thought it was true because they made a ping over it. There was no proof that I did this. People started to dig up old drama about me, I was getting harassed, it was getting scary. Also, people kept spreading the drama saying to not use Rii Shop even after the project was shut down. The fact that this was attached to me and I was accused of being a person that ruined the project is unacceptable and I therefore lost faith with the Wii community because of it. To this day, there's been 4 attempts - Rii Shop Channel, Reviive Shop Channel, New Shop Channel, and LaunchShop. To this day, Rii Shop was restarted to try to be a homebrew Wii Shop replacement, Reviive is to revive the actual shop, and LaunchShop was restarted and it was a separate project that meged with Rii Shop originally. However, given the immaturity of people in the community that worked on the projects, Im surprised that there hasnt been a more proper attempt by a group thats not full of teenagers to revive the shop, because as of now I still think that none of them made dling any title from the Wii Shop properly work

Pomaranczowek

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
someone that joined/helped with Reviive and New Shop Channel here. these projects werent the best however reviive and launchshop are doing pretty good right now. sadly i dunno the status of launchshop but reviive might work out. i know the reason why NSC was poorly recieved after a while. the owner didn't do anything. (fyi i wont call out names) it was mostly made by 2-3 people and the owner wasnt doing much other than helping with the discord server and flexing. another developer decided to try and become an owner however he was stopped by the actual owner. the situation got so bad that NSC got cancelled and discord server got deleted. later the person that tried to become owner made NSC: Revived or something like this but that didn't last long too. later Reviive happened and that's the whole story.

Reviive also had its drama, mainly banning developers involved in drama and later unbanning them and making them developers again, banning a member for a reason i dont remember and banning another member because they called out the co-owner for stealing open shop channel patcher and changing the license.

my best bet is that to make a proper WSC revival, it doesnt matter if you are a teenager or not. just get a team of couple people you trust, proper coding skills and dont even make a discord server, just a group chat or anything else. then work on it, and eventually release it and then make a discord server.

Reactions: ChibiMofo

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I still think that none of them made dling any title from the Wii Shop properly work
This one actually functionally works
https://gbatemp.net/threads/anyone-...back-the-wii-shop-channel.581704/post-9385169

Im surprised that there hasnt been a more proper attempt by a group thats not full of teenagers to revive the shop
I think those that are capable wouldn't want to associate themselves with such a app; either for moral/ethical reasons or to avoid painting a target on their backs

Reactions: 4d1xlaan

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They also were considering making people buy Wii Points using PayPal, which is even more stupid.
Which would have made them organized criminals. It is one thing to distribute IP you have no right whatsoever to distribute, but it is another to charge for access to it.

Thanks, by the way, for your long-time efforts to serve the community, Lars.

Reactions: jeannotte and XFlak

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
OP
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
This one actually functionally works
https://gbatemp.net/threads/anyone-...back-the-wii-shop-channel.581704/post-9385169

I think those that are capable wouldn't want to associate themselves with such a app; either for moral/ethical reasons or to avoid painting a target on their backs
too bad you are hoarding it
Post automatically merged:

Open Shop Channel is a thing
its for homebrew
Post automatically merged:

btw I want to say the whole accusation of the rii shop thing was a domino effect, one thing led to another, and another, and another, meaning the truth was buried

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
I never understood why anyone would put effort into something like that besides the attention that would be drawn to the project. Yeah you get lots of attention but its also alot of work, thankless work and headache.

KirbyBot

Kirby but robot I guess?
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hopefully Reviive actually happens, it had A LOT of drama on the last few weeks, involving some fights between the devs, which caused the owner to leave the project and delete the database or something like that. I thought the project was gonna end there, but it seems like the devs that kept working on the project are making good progress!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
too bad you are hoarding it
Yeah I won't ever share for 3 reasons, the 2 reasons I mentioned above (ethics and painting a target on my back), plus I don't even have the source code. For me it was just a cool proof of concept a friend worked on that I tested and that's it.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I guess I don't understand the point, when you can literally just google the .WAD files you want to play, and then install them all at once using a batch installer like MMM. :unsure:

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
OP
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
I still get idiots every now and then saying rude things to me about the rii shop thing. Just got this email

You know Larsen, I will always hate you for ruining the Wii shop channel revival, how petty of you to doxx people just because. Honestly I don’t care about your stupid mistake because I don’t pay attention to shitty emails that end up in the spam filter

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Honestly I think it would be much easier to make a homebrew app that simulates the Wii Shop Channel with fake points and fake games, there's literally no other way a project like that would be allowed to exist. Although the effort put into reviving the last piece of the Wii network revival puzzle is admirable it's just not worth the legal hassle, and is also not protected by law in any country.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, It's probably for the best to just cut your losses at this point. Maybe even change your online name to distance yourself from being known as "that Lars guy that doxxed everyone", ya know? Like, a fresh start. I've had to reinvent myself a couple of times. Is it exhausting to do? Absolutely. Was it refreshing and rewarding afterwards? It was indeed, and I regret nothing. ^_^

Reactions: newo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Deeze nuts