Epic is delisting and shutting down the servers for some of its older games

dsadda.png

In an effort to focus on server upkeeping for games only using Epic Online Services, Epic Games is shuttering support for a collection of older titles. There's only a limited time left to play these 17 games with online features, until their servers get the axe on January 24, 2023, after which they'll only be available to play single or local multiplayer. This list includes the classic Unreal Tournament games, and the prequel to Rocket League, with the full lineup as follows:

• 1000 Tiny Claws
  • Dance Central 1-3
    • Note: Dance Central VR online multiplayer will remain available
  • Green Day: Rock Band
  • Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess
  • Rock Band 1-3
    • Note: Rock Band 4 online multiplayer will remain available
  • The Beatles: Rock Band
  • Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars
  • Unreal Gold
  • Unreal II: The Awakening
  • Unreal Tournament 2003
  • Unreal Tournament 2004
  • Unreal Tournament 3
    • Note: We have plans to bring back online features via Epic Online Services in the future.
  • Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition
Epic states that of those games, only Unreal Tournament 3 will be moved to Epic Online Services, with a server relaunch for the game coming sometime in the future. These games are also getting delisted from digital storefronts, and DLC purchases in them will be disabled after today. Other games will also be delisted or shut down, noted below.

We also removed the Mac and Linux versions of Hatoful Boyfriend and Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star from storefronts today, as well as the mobile title DropMix. Players who already own these titles will still be able to play.

Battle Breakers will shut down and no longer be accessible to players on December 30. We will automatically refund players for any in-game purchases made via Epic direct payment 180 days prior to today. Unreal Tournament (Alpha), Rock Band Blitz, Rock Band Companion app and SingSpace will be shut down and no longer accessible to players on January 24.

Following this announcement, Unreal Tournament 3 X appeared on Steam shortly, before being removed from the storefront. The Steam page, prior to its removal, claimed that the game would be free to play, with no microtransactions.

:arrow: Source

PopcornSweetie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least they still have Unreal Tournament 4.
No shit sherlock, as if i didn't knew about that. Yet they canned it, because they are going to focus on Fortnite.
Post automatically merged:

If not, there's googling to get it through other means.
There is no UT4. He means Unreal Tournament (not to be confused with UT99) Epic was working on it till 2018 when they canned it so they can focus on Fortnite.
No shit sherlock, as if i didn't knew about that. Yet they canned it, because they are going to focus on Fortnite.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I remember some guy probably kid publicating some YouTube videos and probably Epic Games banned his account,kicked out off the server,taken down his or her videos,lawsuited this person regarding Fortnite Battle Royale modding tools. It looks like it before Epic Games sooner or later giving let classic editor likewise in case of Unreal Tournament.

phonemonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Just release the source code for Unreal games and let the fans have them because clearly Epic have not a single fuck for the franchise.
They lost the UT source code ages ago. 😡
Post automatically merged:

UT2004 is still amazing. UT3, meh. I was bummed to see fornite eclipse the UT franchise. I'm considering a UT2004 reunion with my old LAN buds. Man, I'm getting old.
Ive just got it running on my Rapsberry Pi400. 😂. Really miss the old UT games.

Budsixz

Gbatemp Gamemer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
The EGS is something that didn't need to happen. Steam didn't implement any changes to counter Epic. Your argument is moot. It's not competition, just a free game outlet.

What's also funny is that you fail to realize that your argument about management changing could happen regardless, and that would STILL wreck the PC game market.
If it would wreck pc gaming then my point isn't moot. Steam could do what nvidia is doing and stop discounts and maximize their profits. On the other hand, epic could also be the 'good guy' in the future so having competition is always good

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I guess Unreal Tournament might have microtransactions like in case of Overwatch,Team Fortress 2,Fortnite. Maybe the same thing might happen to Jazz Jackrabbit. Probably Jill of the Jungle remake/reboot of classic would be like Prince of Persia free to play.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sega at least re-released some Sonic the Hedgehog classics why Epic Games can’t do it about Jazz Jackrabbit? I guess them expecting to finish Jazz Jackrabbit 3D is like Sega expecting them to finish Sonic X-Treme. Probably Nintendo doesn’t care about EarthBound 64/MOTHER 3 3D Prototype. Maybe Rayman 4 by UbiSoft turned into Rayman Raving Rabidds,but at least Rayman had DLC in Mario & + Rabidds Sparks of Hope. Imagine at least Jazz Jackrabbit Easter eggs in Unreal.
Epic Mickey 3 cancelled.

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Likely a good chunk of that is to spite Cliffy B, and if they bring it back at any point it'll be because they figured out how to spite Cliffy by doing so. That's my impression of the human side of Epic these days.

Now, Epic as a company is Fortnite = Chinese bags of money = good. EOS allows them to expedite said bags of money, so also good. They nuked Unreal on Steam, because of a multiplayer service no one knew even applied to that particular (largely singleplayer) game. They truly do not care.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Maybe at least Epic Games should re-release digital copy of Jazz Jackrabbit Advance on Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The music licenses on those Rock Band games must be expiring soon, so why not wait until they do and remove the games from the store altogether?

Thardus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(Yeah, I know, "okay boomer", herdurr...)

I will set up my own server(s) again if I have to keep UT2004 alive. In fact, if it weren't for the skills I learned setting up linux gaming servers I probably wouldn't have the career I have today.

It's the series that brought us great community mods (AirBuccaneers, Killing Floor), amazing built-in modifiers and game modes, the best weapon ever (the redeemer), and this... (enjoy)

... and this...

... and this...

Reactions: phonemonkey

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s