Hacking Dude trying to seel "WiiUnlocker" package...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
These sites have been going forever and the whole time the place I see the adverts most is on Wiibrew.

TT can't be that against it, I mean after all they allow the site to be advertised on their site, and yet don't add a BIG NOTICE about them.

Hint: If you are against it you don't advertise it...
So no point in the stupid scam screen on HBC then, unless it serves some other purpose ???

So lets not worry about TT
smile.gif
After all they help sell this type thing by allowing it to be advertised on a site they run with no warning.

I feel bad for the devs of USB loaders etc because these people (the con men) are making money off of their hard work. When total n00bs that know nothing see they can run backup games from USB I bet that's the "clincher".

I think that ALL homebrew devs should add some ! BEWARE of SCAMS ! to the about or credits of their apps, but that's just my opinion.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
fivex said:

And in every use of the word in all of those sites, he also fails to properly use "you're" instead of "your".

harmor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
tueidj said:
Fail.
The ads on wiibrew.org come from google, the site has no control over their content.
They can always opt to use a different ad company...
I think there is a way to block certain ads from displaying.

harmor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fivex said:
harmor said:
techboy said:
tueidj said:
Fail.
The ads on wiibrew.org come from google, the site has no control over their content.
They can always opt to use a different ad company...
I think there is a way to block certain ads from displaying.
Only user-side, not server-side
This women wrote "You can't tell AdSense what kinds of ads to show but if you login to your Account Settings there is a way to exclude certain domains (go to Competitve Ad Filter)".
Source: http://www.websitebabble.com/adsense-adbri...ads-appear.html

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
tueidj said:
Fail.

Yeah THEY do fail. lol EPIC FAIL ! ! !

It is their choice to continue to show the ads, they do have a choice and they made it all by themselves. If you don't know how advertising works tueidj, don't bother responding. Adverts are a choice, not forced upon you. Even if adverts were a must with one host, they could always find a different web host. They obviously think it's ok to advertise them....for a price.

Do you see any warning on pages on Wiibrew telling you to avoid the "con sites" ? Nope... another choice by TT.

Don't get me wrong imho bootmii is the most awesome app for the Wii and TT have brought us some of the best so far, but really they should set an example here in regards to the con sites.

Please anyone that reads this take my advice and add a WARNING about these sites inside your app, maybe in credits or about etc. If you do list the 5-6 sites and explain they are con men etc....please
smile.gif

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So you totally ignore the big splash screen at the start of the hackmii installer, and assume TT consciously support these scams because google pumps the ads onto their blog and wiki?
I don't see any warnings on wiibrew telling me not to set my wii on fire - does that mean they're recommending I should do it?

How about some reading:
http://hackmii.com/2008/12/wii-homebrew-fo...ght-whats-that/
http://hackmii.com/2009/02/scam-homebreware-and-wiiunlocker/

And comments directly concerning the ads:
http://hackmii.com/2008/12/wii-homebrew-fo...t/#comment-3734
http://hackmii.com/2009/02/scam-homebrewar...r/#comment-4199

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The people selling it, and the suckers who are really bent on paying for it tend to ignore it, it seems.

As for the ads appearing on wiibrew, TT should edit the main page explaining that the ads are scams, and that they have them appear in order to pay for the site.

Simple.

people new to wii modding will google for it, then stumble upon wiibrew, and

BAM!

an ad describing a "Wii unlocking software" is the first thing they see!

Being newbs, they go for it immediately, as it seems to be the solution.

If TT wants to stop this, they should put up a big notice as described earlier in this post, and make sure people se it first, before they see the ad.

Some people aren't as tech savy as others, and that's why they fall for the scam. And these types of people can't be exactly be called idiots, as they are noobs and do not know better, along with the lack of knowledge to do it themselves. (A good example is parents with kids who have a Wii)

We were all noobs at some point.

So, to help prevent this, TT should either switch to another ad company that allows them to have more control over ads which they don't want displayed, or, as stated earlier, put up a big notice on wiibrew, so noobs will see the notice and find out straight away that it's a scam, and that the ad is only there to help pay for wiibrew hosting.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
tueidj said:
So you totally ignore the big splash screen at the start of the hackmii installer, and assume TT consciously support these scams because google pumps the ads onto their blog and wiki?
I don't see any warnings on wiibrew telling me not to set my wii on fire - does that mean they're recommending I should do it?

How about some reading:
http://hackmii.com/2008/12/wii-homebrew-fo...ght-whats-that/
http://hackmii.com/2009/02/scam-homebreware-and-wiiunlocker/

And comments directly concerning the ads:
http://hackmii.com/2008/12/wii-homebrew-fo...t/#comment-3734
http://hackmii.com/2009/02/scam-homebrewar...r/#comment-4199

I didn't ignore the warning on the HBC, but did you read my post ? It's about Wiibrew (the website)

Your comparison to setting your Wii on fire is a bit retarded in this scenario imho, but if you want to then why not
wink.gif

I wont respond to you again. I am not saying they support it. I am saying they do pretty much nothing to make sure n00bs on their sites avoid them. Maybe some people feel overwhelmed reading up on things, see an ad and think it's an easy solution and they don't mind spending the cash unaware how easy "hacking the wii" is.

TT can do a number of things to prevent the con men advertising on their sites, they do nothing on the site (Wiibrew) to prevent the con men. I don't think I'm right here, I know it and that's why I wont argue online with someone that seems to come across as either stupid or a fanboy (sorry it's how you come across). I've had many a site and I've had control over all ads, my kids have websites and even they can control advertising on their sites.

If I had an animal charity site I wouldn't advertise a dog fight and then say I'm against dog fighting, this is NO different.
If I had an anti drug site I wouldn't have ads on the site selling drugs and say I'm against it. etc...etc...etc

This is NOT complicated to understand. TT SHOULD lead by example.

At the end of the day some people have paid these con men after seeing an ad on Wiibrew, so Wiibrew contributes to these con mens earnings...FACT

All that TT seem to be bothered about is THEIR own apps, they don't want people to distribute or host them. Maybe this is because they have ads on their sites ? No idea myself about that, but I do know they in some way contribute to these con men by allowing the ads.

QUOTE(harmor @ Mar 9 2010, 01:50 AM) This women wrote "You can't tell AdSense what kinds of ads to show but if you login to your Account Settings there is a way to exclude certain domains (go to Competitve Ad Filter)".
Source: http://www.websitebabble.com/adsense-adbri...ads-appear.html
OR a big WARNING doesn't seem too hard.

The fail is epic when someone says they are against something and then advertises it, c'mon TT get the ads off the site.
Anyone that wants to "try" and stop these con men need to convince TT and some other sites allowing the ads. I've visited hundreds of Wii sites with ads, but only a handful have the con men ads as most people wont allow it.

If anyone is against these con men they wouldn't allow their ads on their site....end of
smile.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Slimmmmmm said:
tueidj said:
Fail.
The ads on wiibrew.org come from google, the site has no control over their content.Yeah THEY do fail. lol EPIC FAIL ! ! !That's a regular fail. Nowhere near epic. Please don't use the phrase "epic fail" unless the fail is actually epic, otherwise you just degrade the value of the phrase.

QUOTE(Slimmmmmm @ Mar 9 2010, 05:31 AM)
Even if adverts were a must with one host, they could always find a different web host.
Actual hosts like gbatemp and wiibrew use aren't free hosting where ads are forced upon them, they go out and make deals with ad companies themselves and profit from the display of the ads. Well, "profit" isn't the right term since the ads go towards paying the server fees and there's doubtless a discrepancy between what they make from ads and what their costs are, so the rest would be paid out of pocket. So sure, they can choose to have NO ads, but then they'd be paying all the fees out of their own pockets, and running a big site is more expensive than most people think.

Most ad services use the same method where companies that want to advertise make a deal with the ad company, give them the ad, and the ad company has their little service that inserts random ads, and the site being advertised on has this little service embedded in it somewhere that pulls in a random ad from the ad service upon page load. So in order to get the most coverage, it makes sense for a site that's advertising to sign up for multiple ad services so it's ad gets inserted into as many varied sites as possible.

So unfortunately removing the ads is a no-go, and switching services could do nothing to alleviate the problem.

The concepts of being a webmaster, don't talk about it if you don't know about it.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ignore the scam hacking sales for one main reason: Almost everyone knows hacking tools are 99.99% free. The one .01% being sites that make you sign up to see the links to the programs. Those sites tend to sale your email to ad companies, to pay for the site. Thus your paying in way. Just have a second or even third email to use for those sites.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Slimmmmmm said:
Rydian.. WOW you are so right, I know nothing and TT can't do anything about it
rolleyes.gif
You talked as if the only hosting you knew about were free ones where the ads are forced upon you, and I didn't say they couldn't do anything, I said removing ads entirely or switching services weren't viable options.

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yellowperil said:
QUOTE said:
There was no protection on the pages. I'm not sure about US law, but if you leave something hooked up to the web without some sort of protection, it's your fault and not illegal for others to access. Same way you can't prosecute for breaking and entering if you left your door unlocked...

uhhhhh no

You can be prosecuted for entering someones house, even if the door is open, ever heard of trespassing on private property......

One thing many people are not aware of is hacking in the UK is classed as a terrorist act and covered under the terrorist act, and you can be prosecuted under that act, since its very easy to enforce as soon as a terrorist act is enforced. Altering someones property without there permission whether to prove a point or whatever, will still be classed as hacking, unless you have there user name and password which they gave you, and permission to do it.
Hacking under UK law covers a very wide area, and using semantics like he had no protection wont cover you at all.

Then isn't hacking the Wii in the first place considered a terrorist act under those laws? You are altering property that does not technically belong to you, at least not in the standpoint of the Wii's EULA. Even though you paid for it, you are still altering software that isn't yours.

Anyway what this guy is doing is illegal, plain as day. He's selling Nintendo's IOS's and other files which lead to piracy to begin with. I'm not saying I don't pirate (my family pirates quite a bit...99.9% of my family does some sort of pirating), but it's still illegal, especially the selling part.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Since you brought it up first and anyone who disagrees is going to be branded a fanboy, why not join #wiidev and voice your suggestions to them directly? Or is it more satisfying to bash people where they probably won't be aware of it?

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
OK you trolled me into answering you.

I talked with bushing about the ads a long, long time ago so they are aware. As for joining wiidev, I have no need today and my time is worth more than this, well I thought so.

Devs reading this, please include a warning in your apps please
smile.gif

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
trespass is not a criminal act in the UK its a civil matter that's why pikeys are such a pain in the ass to get moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up