Not open for further replies.

Shubshub

The Shubinator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Through my Many Monthes Of Searching for "N64 Emulator On DS" many people Believe that It is Impossible But I reckon that if you Try Hard enough then It will Be Possible Maybe Not 100% Compatible But At least Some Games Should be able to Be Emulated at a decent speed

I Present you with This New Project

DS64
Duel Screen 64

Features
Emulating Some N64 Games (See The List Of Games to be Emulated Below)
Audio Support (Hopefully But Not Required)
Button Configuration (This Is a Must have)

If Anyone Would Like to Help Email Me at Or Private Message Me On Here
Click Here To PM Me

This Will be a Big Project and It will Probaly recieve alot of spam saying "It Cant be done give up"
or "N64 On DS Is Impossible"

But Im going to Ignore those kinds of posts and Continue with this Project

List Of Games To Be Emulated
Paper Mario
The Legend Of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Donkey Kong 64 (As Requested By Quietlyawesome94)
This List will Grow Bigger Over Time But for Now those are The Ones Im going to Focus On

Last edited by BORTZ,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
shub13 said:
This Will be a Big Project and It will Probaly recieve alot of spam saying "It Cant be done give up"
or "N64 On DS Is Impossible"

But Im going to Ignore those kinds of posts and Continue with this Project

The Legend Of Zelda Ocarina of Time

Sorry, but the DS (even in DSi mode) WILL NEVER be powerful enough to accurately emulate such a game. DaedalusX64 barely gets away with it. The DS will struggle. I love the idea of a 64 emulator in the DS, but I truly don't see one that people would actually use other than a proof of concept.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not impossible....you just won't get a decent running N64 emulator on a DS. It doesn't have enough power for such a emulator.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
-_-" any chance of having you not post threads where you appeal to the greater masses for people who have skills that exceed your own and state that the project isn't feasible and therefore have no motivation to join it? At least put all of your ideas on one post and blog it until you actually get something to show people rather than making threads as you see fit and then having people tell you that it isn't going to happen...

Not only have you stated that you have no skills whatsoever to even get the project started, but your post is hideously formatted and annoying to read.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You have zero credibility for anyone to take you seriously. For one, don't announce a project you haven't even begun working on. Trying to build hype like that is like planning to fail. Judging solely from the quality of your post, you don't show any experience in what you plan to do. You're "Feature List" is anything but and you seem to have TWO games on your list. TWO.

But prove me wrong. It would make my day.

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Me thinks we just got trolled.
ph34r.gif

BoxmanWTF

♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
I remember and N64 emulator for the ds in development, but it was like .04 fps and then it crashed
If you could do it I'd be surprised, and don't try to fool us with some crappy N64 footage on moonshell, that's been done to death

D

Deleted-236924

Two games, including the one game that is the least likely to ever be emulated on a DS.

Oveneise

Trophies
Website
ACAdapterquotes.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Not going to work. As others have said, you don't have any credibility, and people won't take you seriously with only 22 posts. An emulator I beleive IS possible, but it would run so slowly rendering it useless. Maybe porting games could work (but I doubt it). If any N64 game could be played on the DS, I'd want to play Mischief Makers. Anyways, I hope you fulfill what you intend to do.

junkerde

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol another newbie here who would like to announce an idea to the WORLD! just yesterday i saw someone trying to remake paper mario for the ds as homebrew, sure enough he had nothing to showcase, nothing to show us that hes been working hard on it. same with this, this project is bound to die. k bye.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
junkerde said:
lol another newbie here who would like to announce an idea to the WORLD! just yesterday i saw someone trying to remake paper mario for the ds as homebrew, sure enough he had nothing to showcase, nothing to show us that hes been working hard on it. same with this, this project is bound to die. k bye.
*cough cough* it's the same person.

junkerde

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
junkerde said:
*cough cough* it's the same person.
darn, cant tell if op is a troll or too much of a dreamer.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
nutella said:
Your signature is just cringe worthy.

QUOTEI Wanna Know How to Make an emulator That will run On the Nintendo DS
If any of you Know How Private Message Me (Click The Link Below)
Private Message Me

My Newest Project
The DS64 A Nintendo 64 Emulator Specially Built To Run On The Nintendo DS

wtf.gif

I dunno what to say besides...
wtf.gif

If this guy/girl is serious, I admire his/her determination.

Unrelated pic:
e61c3b07-f069-406b-93c7-e48c7532828c.jpg

qaz00

ORG 0x0
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Why this won't work:

DS Processors: ARM9 (32bit) @ 67MHz / ARM7 (32bit) @ 33MHz
N64 Processor: NEC VR4300 (64bit) @ 93.75MHz
The DSes ARM7 is busy doing sound and IO so that cannot be used for emulation so you will have to use the ARM9 - which is 26.57MHz slower than the NEC VR4300.
The ARM9 is a completely different architecture and bus width to the NEC VR4300 so a recompiler or interpreter will have to be used.
You can't use a static recompiler cos writing one is near impossible (and even if you could it would still be slow).
You could write an interpreter but it would be extremely slow (1 NEC VR4300 instruction for several hundred ARM9 instructions).
You could write a dynamic recompiler but it would still be very slow (1 NEC VR4300 for 10 to 100 ARM9 instructions).
The DS's processors are far too slow.

DS RAM: 4MB
N64 RAM: 4MB (8MB with Expansion Pak)
But some of the DS's RAM will need to be used for the emulator itself, the N64 ROM cache (cos you can't run directly off of the microSD), the CPU's registers/caches and the SGI RCP's VRAM/registers/caches.
An EXRAM pak (ez3in1, Opera RAM Pak) would be far too slow.
You don't have enough RAM.

DS Graphics: Unprogrammable 3D Graphics (max. 2048 Polys per frame)
N64 Graphics: Fully Programmable SGI RCP (64bit) @ 62.5MHz (max 24000 Polys per frame)
You will have to emulate the N64's graphics processor on the ARM9 as well because the DS's graphics are unprogrammable and considerably worse than the N64's.
You have to put even more strain on the (already overused) ARM9.

The DS is too slow, doesn't have enough RAM and has far worse graphics. Even if you write a perfectly working emulator nothing will be playable due to speed issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-dc2WPa7eA