Homebrew DS(i) Mode hacking progress thread

Ryuzaki_MrL

Green Thunder
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
run it via my stage 3 action replay launcher. Just replace the ar rom with your unbricker. ;)

Looks like my card is done for, the updater always get stuck at "erasing device" until either I remove the card or power off x(
But the trick works, so it's a damn nice progress on DSi mode hacking!

undergroundmonorail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i dont understand how to get started :/

On what?

If you want to help develop this stuff, that's out of my league and I have no idea how to point you in the right direction. Sorry.

If you're just a user, install the TwlBg patches (the easiest way to do this is to be running Luma3DS and boot your 3DS while holding Select, then enabling the bottom option). If you want to use Nitrohax or the NTR Launcher, you're done. If you want to load NDS roms off the SD card and play those, people are working on that and there's nothing to do but wait.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
@Apache Thunder my M3 Crashes the HomeMenu but NitroHax doesnt crash so i need a Slot 1 reset before i launch the unbricker/Firmware Upgrade Tool

Use my Action Replay Stage 3 launcher (simply replace the rom to be used on 3DS SD with the unbricker. Note you must use the original file name the bootstrap expects else you want to hex edit the path in the SRL and rebuild the CIA).

That launcher resets card before booting the rom, so if you use that to boot your unbricker, it should reset the card for you it does this while in NTR mode so you won't have to worry about home menu crash. Just insert the card shortly after you hit the icon for action replay. Wait till screen resets. I believe my bootstrap will detect ejected cart and wait for you to insert cart so you won't have to get the timing right or anything. But I could be wrong. I forgot how i handled cart ejected situation in the code.

Reactions: Nintendo4DSXL

Yokujin

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
On what?

If you want to help develop this stuff, that's out of my league and I have no idea how to point you in the right direction. Sorry.

If you're just a user, install the TwlBg patches (the easiest way to do this is to be running Luma3DS and boot your 3DS while holding Select, then enabling the bottom option). If you want to use Nitrohax or the NTR Launcher, you're done. If you want to load NDS roms off the SD card and play those, people are working on that and there's nothing to do but wait.
playing nds games on my 3ds generally

undergroundmonorail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Apache Thunder Out of curiosity, do you know why the card init code only works if the slot was empty when the software started? That's really odd to me. I can't think of a reason why anything would be in a different state depending on whether there was a card or not when NTR software launched. Sorry about the stupid questions, I think I know this stuff well enough to understand explanations people give me but not well enough to know how to do my own research about it :P

playing nds games on my 3ds generally

What do you mean by "generally"?

Real cartridge: Congratulations, this can already be done!
Flashcart: Doable, but depending on which cart it might be a pain to set up
.nds file on the sd card: on its way bud

Yokujin

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@Apache Thunder Out of curiosity, do you know why the card init code only works if the slot was empty when the software started? That's really odd to me. I can't think of a reason why anything would be in a different state depending on whether there was a card or not when NTR software launched. Sorry about the stupid questions, I think I know this stuff well enough to understand explanations people give me but not well enough to know how to do my own research about it :P

What do you mean by "generally"?

Real cartridge: Congratulations, this can already be done!
Flashcart: Doable, but depending on which cart it might be a pain to set up
.nds file on the sd card: on its way bud
never could get my r4i cart to work and @Apache Thunder never helped me getting my cart to work with his stage 2 launcher

AntnioMoura

Trophies
XP
Country
@Apache Thunder If i am right....You once said that you made Mario Kart DS demo run from the SD right? So I gotta some kind of idea around it... Did any more demo worked( like, with different size). So it may be possible to make the 3DS(or the DS mode) think that is playing MK DS but is running another game no? Like a patch.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
@Apache Thunder If i am right....You once said that you made Mario Kart DS demo run from the SD right? So I gotta some kind of idea around it... Did any more demo worked( like, with different size). So it may be possible to make the 3DS(or the DS mode) think that is playing MK DS but is running another game no? Like a patch.
The Demos were probably made to run entirely out of RAM, whereas real games have slot-1 reads programmed into the code itself, so that wouldn't work, unfortunately :P

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States

All the demos currently work if you launch them from NTR mode hbmenu. TWL mode hbmenu will soon be available that allows mode switching. But for now you either have to install them as CIAs or run them from NTR mode hbmenu (which requires dev launcher patch)

The demos work because they store all their assets in their arm7/arm9 binaries and do not use overlays or NitroFS. So there's no slot-1 calls to worry about.

Reactions: astronautlevel

undergroundmonorail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think is worth of trying... well i have no idea how to progamming or something. But is a concept that could maybe be tried.

The reason it's difficult to run roms off the SD card is that whenever the game tries to load data, it's hardcoded to look for data from slot 1. It says "alright, let's get some of that good data from the slo... there's no card in the slot! aaaa! aaaaaaaaaa!!" and breaks. If we're going to run them off the SD card, we need to figure out how to make games look there instead.

The MK demo (and other demos) sidestep this issue by never looking at the slot at all. The run by being loaded entirely into RAM, and then when it wants data it needs only to look at the RAM. If it tried to load data from slot 1, like other games do, then it too would break.

It works because the hard thing doesn't have to happen. It still has to happen for any cartridge game.

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, basically what @undergroundmonorail said.
DS games have hardcoded reads to slot-1 whenever it loads its assets. Technically, you can convert a DS game to a CIA. This is what will happen:
-Load the code from the CIA.
-The code says to get its assets (things like graphics) from slot-1.
-There's nothing in slot-1. The code reacts like this:

(It crashes)
However, in our new expanded NTR mode we have DSi hardware access without breaking DS mode games. (TWL mode would normally break a DS game if you forced it to launch from it) All that's left for DS games off SD card is for devs to write an app that runs in a separate thread on the DSi mode hardware (while the game, of course, runs on the DS mode hardware) and patch out calls to slot-1 to the SD card. Obviously, this won't be easy at all, but it's doable.
I hope this answered any questions you had, @AntnioMoura ;)

Last edited by Swiftloke,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The demos are actually installed to TWLNAND.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.