Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Nintendont patches the DI code from the Dolphin SDK to use a virtual DI register set in memory, which is then handled by the Nintendont kernel running on the ARM CPU. (Same for EXI, i.e. memory cards.)

There's a bunch of other patches to compensate for differences in Wii vs GCN, e.g. ARAM emulation and some differences in texture handling.

Nintendont is *not* virtualization. It works by patching the various subsystems to add disc/card emulation and to compensate for differences in hardware.

Ahh I see so it's not as complicated as I thought it was. It's still a walk in the park compared to how you'd attempt it on a 3DS though. :P

Nintendo has always used past generation CPU as the security CPU in handhelds. Arm7 was what the GBA used. When the DS came out, it has a new CPU called the Arm9 and retired the arm7 for security/audio/wifi. It reused the arm7 for legacy mode GBA games and in DS mode it's doing mostly security and sound. The 3DS continues this trend. The arm9 is retired for use as the security CPU and for legacy mode for DS games. So the way the system works would make it hard for you to run DS games in CTR mode because arm9 isn't really useable while in CTR mode. Unlike the Wii. If the Wii had a cpu or processor for security, it sure as hell wasn't used to play game cube games in some clunky legacy mode. So you didn't have to do much to run game cube games on a Wii. :P

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the Wii had a cpu or processor for security, it sure as hell wasn't used to play game cube games in some clunky legacy mode. So you didn't have to do much to run game cube games on a Wii. :P
Wii and Wii U both have a security processor, an ARM9 (located on the GPU). The ARM9 runs IOS(U).

Normally in GameCube mode on Wii, the ARM9 is completely idle (except for power button handling). DIOS MIOS originally took advantage of this by running its disc drive emulation on the otherwise-idle CPU (and the fact that the SD card slot and USB ports weren't actually disabled in GameCube mode). Nintendont runs in Wii mode, so it runs alongside IOS58 on the ARM9.

(Sidenote: No, the ARM9 isn't used for DS Virtual Console. For one, it runs in big-endian mode on Wii/WiiU, whereas it's little-endian on DS. Two, it's normally not accessible except to the operating system.)

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Ahh I see so it's not as complicated as I thought it was. It's still a walk in the park compared to how you'd attempt it on a 3DS though. :P

Nintendo has always used past generation CPU as the security CPU in handhelds. Arm7 was what the GBA used. When the DS came out, it has a new CPU called the Arm9 and retired the arm7 for security/audio/wifi. It reused the arm7 for legacy mode GBA games and in DS mode it's doing mostly security and sound. The 3DS continues this trend. The arm9 is retired for use as the security CPU and for legacy mode for DS games. So the way the system works would make it hard for you to run DS games in CTR mode because arm9 isn't really useable while in CTR mode. Unlike the Wii. If the Wii had a cpu or processor for security, it sure as hell wasn't used to play game cube games in some clunky legacy mode. So you didn't have to do much to run game cube games on a Wii. :P

is there a way to "trigger" the arm9 cpu while using the arm11? something like a hybrid mode, is it feasible?

Last edited by AtlasFontaine,

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Wii and Wii U both have a security processor, an ARM9 (located on the GPU). The ARM9 runs IOS(U).

Normally in GameCube mode on Wii, the ARM9 is completely idle (except for power button handling). DIOS MIOS originally took advantage of this by running its disc drive emulation on the otherwise-idle CPU (and the fact that the SD card slot and USB ports weren't actually disabled in GameCube mode). Nintendont runs in Wii mode, so it runs alongside IOS58 on the ARM9.

(Sidenote: No, the ARM9 isn't used for DS Virtual Console. For one, it runs in big-endian mode on Wii/WiiU, whereas it's little-endian on DS. Two, it's normally not accessible except to the operating system.)

well, the ARM9 core has the coprocessor from where you can choose either big-endian or little endian modes (and with that, comes alignment, etc) alongside the MPU, plus it has the armv4 mode (where LDR PC could read bit 0 and perform THUMB/ARM bit) effectively changing THUMB/ARM modes on LDX opcodes.
(like all GBA games do), but ARM v5 does not do this (like all DS games).

Last edited by Coto,

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
There's a DS Firmware SRL floating around filetrip and the internet. It shows the boot animation. But always shows the settings lost screen instead of doing anything useful like showing the main menu. It's possible I could get it to see and launch a slot-1 game if I card reset before starting it.

But it's not able to read something in the DS Profile settings. (refer to gbatek on how that works). Maybe it can be forced to ignore what ever it can't read. It's still able to read some data like date and time and is able to write changes too. I can change my username and birthday/system color. But RTC data like date and time it's unable to change for some reason. Might be related.

Someone has to RE how it does this and fix it. Right now it's pretty useless on a 3DS because it will always exit after the initial setup screen. I think I've asked @Normmatt to look into it once, but I guess he's not interested. :(

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Hey would you mind linking me to that firmware SRL if you have it? I wanna have a look at it but I can't find it.
I'm pretty sure it's copyrighted which is illegal and against the rules to share here.

Reactions: I pwned U!

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
while this isnt meaningfull contrubution at all , i just check back every day to every other day to see whats new as i like seeing whats posted to get a lil better understanding how DS/DSiMode works. granted it kinda goes over my head. (im more the kind that like sto understand how things work.) so some big <3 to the devs working on this.

though one question about how some games Anti Piracy is being triggered by teh patches, i cant fin dmy Chrono Trigger DS Cart (its somewhere in teh mess i call my wire Cluster-Fu**ed room[ about 6 PCs running in here of various age.]) but does this Trigger the "Infinite Portal traveling" Anti-Piracy check? (CT DS had it if it was running on an outdated emulator/Flashcard that when you entered any time period's Portal. that animation of going thru the portal would continue on till you turned off the DS/closed the emulator)

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country

Still sd acess in ntr mode

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Hello is it possible to make an M3i Zero Unbricker?
It only needs to be detected from the updater...
With NTR Launcher it doesnt boot

Run the unbricker rom from ntr mode hbmenu. If that doesn't work, making a stage 2 or 3 launcher of it won't help you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1