Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey @RocketRobz, thanks for working on TWiLight Menu++! I have a question, is there a way to use TWPatch both on widescreen and 4:3 so we can have neat filters on both ratios?
Re-follow the widescreen steps, but instead of turning on GPU scaling, select the filter.
After doing so, re-run TWPatch and select the filter again without anything else changed.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Magic School Bus - Oceans works on DSi but not 3DS any one have that issue?
Try holding A+B+X+Y immediately after launching TWLMenu++ and before the DSi/TWLMenu++ splash screen(s) (or ROM menu, if one or both splashes are disabled) appear.
If resetting the settings doesn't fix the issue, try turning off card read DMA for that game.

Reactions: Tarmfot

sounreal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try holding A+B+X+Y immediately after launching TWLMenu++ and before the DSi/TWLMenu++ splash screen(s) (or ROM menu, if one or both splashes are disabled) appear.
If resetting the settings doesn't fix the issue, try turning off card read DMA for that game.
Did not help. Ive even formatted different SD cards and started all over plus used different rom dumps. I always get a black screen on the 3DS.

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
System new 2DSXL running https://gbatemp.net/download/luma-10-2-1-with-redshift-and-quick-switchers.35619/

System SD is a new retail 512 GB SanDisk Ultra PLUS (Formatted to Fat32 with 32kb cluster size using EaseUS Partition Master)

Flashcard is a R4i Gold 3DS Plus (www.r4ids.cn) Using the resources provided,
Auto Boot Folder: R4iDSN, R4 Ultra, R4i Gold 3DS Plus, R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe & R4i Gold 3DS RTS
Flashcard Loader Folder: R4iDSN, R4i Gold RTS (r4ids.cn), R4i Gold 3DS Plus (r4ids.cn)

Flashcard SD is a new retail 64 GB SanDisk Extreme (Formatted to Fat32 with 32kb cluster size using EaseUS Partition Master)

I recently upgraded my 400 GB SanDisk Ultra PLUS to a 512 GB, everything else remained the same and noticed a massive increase in load times when opening folders and when opening and closing the TWilight Menu options. I do not even access my 512 GB SD with the TWilight Menu, I run the TWilight Menu via SCFG access on a R4i Gold 3DS Plus.

It ran smoothly with the 400 GB SD, and the jump to 512 GB basically crippled it. I recognize that bigger cards do lead to longer load times, but this is just not even close to proportional. With the 400 GB SD the System boot time was 30 seconds and with the 512 GB SD it is 35 Seconds, which is a boot time increase proportional to the size increase of the SD card. The load times within the TWilight Menu (not the boot time of the Menu, which remained roughly the same even tough irregular as ever) when opening a folder or the options were never longer than three seconds with the 400 GB SD, with the 512 GB one they are more than a minute. Could it be a Bug?

As a side note, while the Homebrew itself is totally awesome and I wouldn't ever want to run my flashcard without it (since it allows me to play certain DS games with smooth frame rates) I fail to see, why the 3DS version of the TWilight Menu needs all those emulators and the GBARunner2.

Certainly, everyone agrees that the 3DS has vastly superior emulating options. Which however should never take away from the DSi version, that system undoubtedly benefits extremely from the inclusion of those emulators. But on the 3DS they only add unnecessary bloat, since no one uses them... why would you use for example the GBARunner2 when mGBA and open_agb_firm are available? Wouldn't the time and effort necessary to maintain those emulators during further development of the 3DS version be better spend to improve on other aspects of this awesome Homebrew?

Edit: Disregard my comment in a previous post regarding the DSi menu theme. While after installing the TWilight Menu there was an option in the SELECT-Menu to switch between system and flashcard SD, which disappeared after choosing it once... the option to switch between system and flashcard SD was still functional on the DSi theme. You only have to press up while holding select if you are on the flashcard SD to get to the system SD, and down if you are on the system SD to get to the flashcard SD. I am just too dumb to understand simple instructions.

Last edited by Hark0n,

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Certainly, everyone agrees that the 3DS has vastly superior emulating options. Which however should never take away from the DSi version, that system undoubtedly benefits extremely from the inclusion of those emulators. But on the 3DS they only add unnecessary bloat, since no one uses them... why would you use for example the GBARunner2 when mGBA and open_agb_firm are available? Wouldn't the time and effort necessary to maintain those emulators during further development of the 3DS version be better spend to improve on other aspects of this awesome Homebrew?

Wavemotion has worked very hard to optimize some of these emulators. They're faster now than their 3DS counterpart.

On the other side, gameyob (dsi flavour) has always been the best GB and GBC emu for o3ds, where mGBA is slow for some games, not to talk about GBA games.

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wavemotion has worked very hard to optimize some of these emulators. They're faster now than their 3DS counterpart.

On the other side, gameyob (dsi flavour) has always been the best GB and GBC emu for o3ds, where mGBA is slow for some games, not to talk about GBA games.

Really? The NES/SNES/Sega Mega Drive emulation in the Twilight Menu is better than bubble2k16's ports? I was not aware! The gameyob I know is a brilliant emulator, has it been improved or is it the same version that can be run on a flashcard as an .nds file?

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I didn't get the memo! :)
If the NES/SNES/Sega Mega Drive emulation in the Twilight Menu is better than bubble2k16's ports (compatibility and speed) you deserve faaaar more credit... the TWilightmenu should be regarded as THE standard for emulation on the 3DS if that is the case! I had no idea! Why is it not more heavily promoted?

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Really? The NES/SNES/Sega Mega Drive emulation in the Twilight Menu is better than bubble2k16's ports? I was not aware! The gameyob I know is a brilliant emulator, has it been improved or is it the same version that can be run on a flashcard as an .nds file?
Bubble2k16 are best for 3DS, of course.
The Atari ones are quite better on the dsi.

Gameyob has a .cia dsi version which you can install with FBI. That's the one which surpasses mGBA or gambatte by a large margin, on the o3DS.

wavemotion

Benign Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the NES/SNES/Sega Mega Drive emulation in the Twilight Menu is better than bubble2k16's ports (compatibility and speed) you deserve faaaar more credit... the TWilightmenu should be regarded as THE standard for emulation on the 3DS if that is the case! I had no idea! Why is it not more heavily promoted?
It depends on what you want to emulate... Atari 8-bit, VCS, SMS, Colecovision, Intellivision are all rock-solid on the DS/DSi with more customization features than you can shake a stick at.

I mean... can the 3DS do this?

image.png.57bda22f70b99949cc43c4d39632b484.png

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It depends on what you want to emulate... Atari 8-bit, VCS, SMS, Colecovision, Intellivision are all rock-solid on the DS/DSi with more customization features than you can shake a stick at.

I mean... can the 3DS do this?

image.png.57bda22f70b99949cc43c4d39632b484.png
If you read my comment, you realize, that I stated that the DSi undoubtedly benefits extremely from the inclusion of your emulators... no shade at all, only praise! Maybe it should be more heavily promoted to those who are looking for Atari 8-bit, VCS, SMS, Colecovision, Intellivision. I did not know they were that good because it is not advertised as that good... which is a crying shame considering the amount of work that had to be put in those.

wavemotion

Benign Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to keep the revitalized DS/DSi emulation scene a secret! Mostly to ensure I can pick up DSi XL/LL units cheaply on eBay :)

s-l300.jpg

But in all fairness, it really does depend on what you want to emulate. The DS/DSi screen resolution is a perfect match for many of the classic 8-bit systems. Colecovision puts out 256x192 dots of beautiful color. Render them on a screen with more resolution and you have to invent pixel rows or columns... and unless you have a LOT of extra pixels, that can look distorted. For thousands of these classic games, the DS/DSi is the most authentic experience you can get next to real hardware.

Hark0n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm trying to keep the revitalized DS/DSi emulation scene a secret! Mostly to ensure I can pick up DSi XL/LL units cheaply on eBay :)

s-l300.jpg

But in all fairness, it really does depend on what you want to emulate. The DS/DSi screen resolution is a perfect match for many of the classic 8-bit systems. Colecovision puts out 256x192 dots of beautiful color. Render them on a screen with more resolution and you have to invent pixel rows or columns... and unless you have a LOT of extra pixels, that can look distorted.
Well too bad... I have an DSi in mint condition and will promote your work to drive up its worth! My whole argument was, that the 3DS version of TWilight might benefit from being a separate thing focussing on what the 3DS would most benefit from, not that the emulation was bad! And certainly not, that the DSi should be ignored!

HinaNaru Cutie

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

TWiLight Menu++ (or TWLMenu++, for short)
GUI for DS(i) games, and DSi Menu replacement for DS/DSi/3DS/2DS

View attachment 176367

View attachment 174327
*Games are run by nds-bootstrap

Features
  • Launch DS, DS⁽ⁱ⁾, and DS⁽ⁱ⁾Ware ROMs from the SD card and/or flashcard, via nds-bootstrap (comes included with the app)!
    For flashcards, the flashcard kernel/firmware can optionally be used to boot the games, but only for regular DS games, and DS⁽ⁱ⁾-Enhanced games in DS mode.
  • Automatic on-the-fly AP-patching! Drag and drop your ROMs onto the SD card, and play, without any additional steps!
    The included AP-patches are loaded for a specific game, by nds-bootstrap, and the patching is done in RAM, leaving your original ROM untouched.
  • Bring the DSi Menu to your DS Phat/lite, by putting TWLMenu++ on a flashcard!
  • First DS flashcard UI to show animated icons from DS⁽ⁱ⁾-Enhanced, DS⁽ⁱ⁾-Exclusive, and DS⁽ⁱ⁾Ware games!
  • Set the language to your preference.
  • 10 save slots for DS games!
  • For DSi/3DS/2DS users: Overclock your DS games to 133mhz, faster than normal DS clock speed of 67mhz!
  • For DSi/3DS/2DS users: Change sound frequency from 32kHz to 48kHz for higher sound quality!
  • Directly access the flashcard's microSD card, and switch to and from there anytime! (Only applies to the flashcards listed right below the instructions.)
  • Run the last played ROM on TWiLight Menu++ startup.
  • Play retro games from these consoles:
    • Atari 2600, via StellaDS (.a26 only)
    • Atari 5200, via A5200DS (.a52 only)
    • Atari 7800, via A7800DS (.a78 only)
    • Atari XEGS, via XEGS-DS (.xex and .atr)
    • NES/Famicom, via nesDS
    • (Super) GameBoy (Color), via GameYob
    • Sega Master System/Game Gear, via S8DS
    • Sega MegaDrive/Genesis, via jEnesisDS (or PicoDriveTWL, if ROM is above 3MB) (.gen only)
    • Super Nintendo/Famicom, via SNEmulDS
    • PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16, via NitroGrafx
    • GameBoy Advance, via GBARunner2 or the DS' native GBA mode, which the latter requires one of these Slot-2 flashcards:
      • M3
      • G6
      • SuperCard SD/MiniSD/MicroSD
      • EZ-Flash (before Omega) (Saving does not work)
  • Play videos:
    Using GBARunner2 or native GBA mode
  • 3DS/2DS users: Play DS games in 16:10 widescreen! Not all games will work with this feature.
    (Find the tab "3DS/2DS: Playing in Widescreen" for how to use this feature.)

Boot Demo (by Alex S):

(Old video with the SRLoader name)

WARNING
When using this with SD cards that are 64GB or above, make sure "Save FAT table cache" is disabled in the Games/Apps page of TWLMenu++ Settings. Your SD card may become corrupt, due to an issue with saved FAT tables by nds-bootstrap.
If it's already turned off when corruption happened, then it's due to an issue with either libnds or libfat, or your SD card may be dying.

Download (See here for skins)
If you have a DS⁽ⁱ⁾, or a 3DS/2DS without CFW, you'll need a DSiWare exploit to run TWiLight Menu++.
Also works with flashcards. Please check the instructions for flashcard users.

NOTE: If you have any issues happening in the DS games themselves on the SD card, please post in the nds-bootstrap thread.

• sudokuhax (uses GenericTWLPayload)
  • fieldrunnerhax (uses GenericTWLPayload)
  • grtpwn (uses GenericTWLPayload)
  • ugopwn/Flipnote Lenny (only for v0.11.0 and v0.11.2)

Instructions

InstallingUpdating3DS/2DS: Playing in WidescreenEnabling DS Download Play and Pictochat in Quick MenuCreating a RAM disk for homebrewBox art/game cover displayCustom top screen image in DSi themeDSi: Getting your DSiWare as .nds files

1. https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/twilightmenu/playing-in-widescreen.html

2. https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/twilightmenu/download-play-pictochat.html

3. https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/twilightmenu/creating-ram-disks.html

4. https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/twilightmenu/how-to-get-box-art.html

5. The custom image(s) goes in "sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/dsimenu/photos/", must be 208x156, and must end in the .png format.

6. This requires a DSi console with Unlaunch 0.9 or later.
    This will not work if you're using a 3DS or 2DS console.
    1. Download appgen (by jerbear64) (If your computer says it's a virus, it is a false positive).
    2. Place it in "/title/00030004".
    3. Run appgen.
    4. Move your .nds, .pub, and .prv files into "sd:/roms/dsiware".
    5. Launch your DS⁽ⁱ⁾Ware .nds from TWiLight Menu++, and enjoy!

Flashcards supported with running games in DS⁽ⁱ⁾ mode:
  • CycloDS iEvolution (Only DS⁽ⁱ⁾-Enhanced games boot. DS⁽ⁱ⁾-Exclusives and DS⁽ⁱ⁾Ware don't boot.)
  • R4 Ultra (regular, not R4i) (r4ultra.com) (Running TWLMenu++ from the console's SD card is required.)
If your flashcard isn't listed, enable both `Slot-1 SCFG access` and `Slot-1 TWL touch mode` in TWLMenu++ Settings, and if your flashcard can autoboot TWLMenu++, enable `Auto-start Slot-1` as well.

Flashcards supported with direct access, if running on the console's SD card:
  • Acekard 2i (Games cannot be booted)
  • R4 Ultra (regular, not R4i) (r4ultra.com)
If your flashcard isn't listed, enable `Slot-1 SCFG access` in TWLMenu++ Settings, and if your flashcard can autoboot TWLMenu++, enable `Auto-start Slot-1` as well.

NOTES:
  • Please check this list for what games work and do not work from the SD card.
    If you're running the game from a flashcard, then you won't need this, unless if you're running B4DS (nds-bootstrap for flashcards).

Controls

DSi, 3DS Menu, SEGA Saturn, and Homebrew Launcher themes
  • Left/Right: Select a game/app
  • A/START: Launch game/app
  • L/R or SELECT+LEFT/RIGHT: Switch pages
  • (DSi/Saturn/HB theme) SELECT+UP/DOWN & release SELECT: Switch between the SD card and flashcard
  • Y: Per-game settings
    • X: Cheat menu
  • X: Delete/hide game
  • (DSi/Saturn/HB theme) SELECT: SELECT menu or DS Classic Menu (Where system menu, TWLMenu++ Settings, and GBA Mode can be accessed)
R4 theme
  • Up/Down: Select a game/app
  • A: Launch game/app
  • L: Switch between the SD card and flashcard
  • Y: Per-game settings
    • X: Cheat menu
With CFW: DS ROMs (on SD)/carts
  • L+R+DOWN+B for 2 seconds: Return to TWiLight Menu++
    (If using an O3DS, then it does not work on all models)

Credits
See here

FAQs

No, this is not an emulator. The menu and DS games (loaded via nds-bootstrap) are ran natively in the console's DS/DSi mode.
The only consoles emulated are the past consoles, but partially for GBA (as some parts (such as graphics) are ran natively).
Reboot the console.
TWL_FIRM might've somehow got corrupted.
Follow this guide to fix the issue: https://3ds.hacks.guide/troubleshooting#dsi--ds-functionality-is-broken-after-completing-the-guide
  • First, try putting the console in sleep mode (e.g. closing the console's lid, or pressing the sleep button on the O2DS), then wake up the console from it.
  • If that doesn't work, format your SD card to FAT32 with 32kb cluster/allocation size.
  • If that also doesn't work, try a different SD card.
Follow the new widescreen steps.
Follow the new widescreen steps.
In FBI, delete both TWiLight Menu++ titles (in purple text) in the title list, then install both the latest TWLMenu++ CIAs.
Back in the title list, launch "TWiLight Menu++ Last-ran ROM".
If this doesn't fix it, delete "TwlBg.cxi" at "sd:/luma/sysmodules/".
Enable game patching in Luma settings, or update Luma to v10.0 (or later).
Go into TWLMenu++ Settings, and disable "Update recently played list".
No. As The Biggest Loser is a Slot-1 game, and not a DSiWare game, SD access is disabled when running Slot-1 cards.
A1: You're using an incompatible DSiWare exploit. It should use GenericTWLPayload for DS ROMs to work.
A2: Please note that not all games work from SD Card yet. Check the list above.
If it's listed as compatible, try again.
If you're a DSi user, Please check the LED set in TWiLight Menu++ settings.
  • WiFi/Camera: If it's on, that means it's loading from the ROM. If it's off for a while, and the screen is still white, that means the game is unsupported.
  • Power: If it's purple, that means it's loading from the ROM. If it's blue (or red) for a while, and the screen is still white, that means the game is unsupported.

hey @RocketRobz i was wondering but how do input cheat codes like this; https://gbatemp.net/threads/quik-guide-to-play-a-hacked-guitar-hero.92205/post-2705884 - i am trying to use guitar hero but i need the anti grip hack thing, and this is the only form i could find that works with this comment Q_Q not kidding here it is difficult to get the anti grip thing now...i would like some help.
new to adding cheat codes with your emulator on my 2ds.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey @RocketRobz i was wondering but how do input cheat codes like this; https://gbatemp.net/threads/quik-guide-to-play-a-hacked-guitar-hero.92205/post-2705884 - i am trying to use guitar hero but i need the anti grip hack thing, and this is the only form i could find that works with this comment Q_Q not kidding here it is difficult to get the anti grip thing now...i would like some help.
new to adding cheat codes with your emulator on my 2ds.
You can use R4CCE to edit an existing usrcheat.dat file, or create a new one with the cheat added.
Also, this isn't an emulator.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COua5q4CByg