Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok cool, so that acekard might end up coming in handy after all

Well, in my case, at least because card read dma is disabled for dsi enhanced games in dsi mode, it doesn't matter too much for gen 5 pokemon at least. Though I'd be curious to know what the other features that don't work are

Is there a compatibility list for nds bootstrap through slot 1? Documentation for using flashcart in dsi mode is kind of lacking which is where all my confusion came from

I usually just ran DSi exclusive/enhanced games from my 3DS' SD Card.
Well, them and SoulSilver, so that I can use the infrared capability of my White (2) cartridges to use my Pokéwalker. But maybe that "black magic fuckery" could be a better solution for most of that.
It won't make infrared suddenly work of course (until they can get the 3ds infrared sensor working for ir games), but for gen 5 pokémon specifically, you can actually use the c-gear with wireless enabled and there is *zero* slowdown, because slot 1 reads are significantly faster than sd card reads

I might actually just move my other games to sd card since robz says there will be better compatibility there, and keep slot 1 only for white 2 (I do have a physical cart that might be better, but I made a text mod that de-capitalizes some stuff and I'd much rather play that 😝 I don't need pokewalker for soulsilver anyway)

Once I have the acekard then hopefully it just works and I can move all ds games back to slot 1, and run everything with akaio. I still need to check if games will run in dsi mode with dsi enhancements when using kernel loader, if it doesn't then I can configure just white 2 to run with bootstrap, it seems to work fine there and even better than on sd card

Also I guess one advantage of using bootstrap instead of kernel loader/physical cart is that I can use the features from bootstrap in-game menu, and also the more granular volume control you can get with it (dsi volume controls are terrible lol)

Ampersound

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, I'm interested in hacking a dsi and using TWMenu++.

However when I tried the memory pit exploit and launched it, TWMenu doesn't show my gamecard anymore in the main menu.
I'd like it to be there.

And when i switch to the oldschool looking ds menu and launch the gamecard there, it always crashes when I try to start a flashcard like that.
Running it without TWMenu works as expected.

Could you guys give me some pointers, I'd very much appreciate them :)

1nitiate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

However when I tried the memory pit exploit and launched it, TWMenu doesn't show my gamecard anymore in the main menu.
I'd like it to be there.

And when i switch to the oldschool looking ds menu and launch the gamecard there, it always crashes when I try to start a flashcard like that.

If using unlaunch, Try holding B when you boot up to boot straight to cart

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'd like it to be there.

Change the boot mode for slot-1 to something else, it's somewhere in the options

Try every option until one that works

But because it's a flashcart, I'd honestly suggest autobooting into it and using it as an extension to your dsi sd card

https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/twilightmenu/installing-dsi#accessing-flashcard-contents

If you have one of the right flashcarts you can continue using flashcart kernel for running games with the same compatibility as normal flashcart, so you only gain a bunch of functionality without any downsides

Though if you're unlucky then your flashcart kernel might misbehave when made to run in that way, and some games might not work

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok cool, so that acekard might end up coming in handy after all

Well, in my case, at least because card read dma is disabled for dsi enhanced games in dsi mode, it doesn't matter too much for gen 5 pokemon at least. Though I'd be curious to know what the other features that don't work are

Is there a compatibility list for nds bootstrap through slot 1? Documentation for using flashcart in dsi mode is kind of lacking which is where all my confusion came from

It won't make infrared suddenly work of course (until they can get the 3ds infrared sensor working for ir games), but for gen 5 pokémon specifically, you can actually use the c-gear with wireless enabled and there is *zero* slowdown, because slot 1 reads are significantly faster than sd card reads

I might actually just move my other games to sd card since robz says there will be better compatibility there, and keep slot 1 only for white 2 (I do have a physical cart that might be better, but I made a text mod that de-capitalizes some stuff and I'd much rather play that 😝 I don't need pokewalker for soulsilver anyway)

Once I have the acekard then hopefully it just works and I can move all ds games back to slot 1, and run everything with akaio. I still need to check if games will run in dsi mode with dsi enhancements when using kernel loader, if it doesn't then I can configure just white 2 to run with bootstrap, it seems to work fine there and even better than on sd card

Also I guess one advantage of using bootstrap instead of kernel loader/physical cart is that I can use the features from bootstrap in-game menu, and also the more granular volume control you can get with it (dsi volume controls are terrible lol)
I mean, that C-Gear stuff doesn't matter to me, because I'm referring to original retail copies of White and White 2 that I have - that's the infrared I'm using for SoulSilver. :) And while I don't need the Pokéwalker, it's still really nice to have - and the only source of legitimate self-destructing Gen IV Snorlaxes.

Besides, I don't think my flashcard is supported for that right now. At least I can use the unified menu with it.

Reactions: 4d1xlaan

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to ask before installing unlaunch, because it's irreversible.
So holding B when booting unlaunch can launch games and flashcards alike without any issues?
it is reversible, there also arent any downsides to installing it

but also, unlaunch menu doesnt always run flashcarts correctly
Post automatically merged:

btw @RocketRobz I figured out what makes sdk3 games not work for me with the slot 1 stuff and kernel loader

it turns out, if rts and/or in-game reset are disabled, it breaks. I manually disabled them in the config because I want clean gameplay with no in-game menu or button combo hacks and that works just fine if I run the flashcart on its own. but when loaded with twilight menu, wood kernel loader chokes on those games while having no issue with sdk4 games. I havent tried older games (do sdk1 and sdk2 exist?)

I dont know if that's something that can be fixed in twilightmenu, but if someone can at least reproduce the problem (r4i gold 3ds plus, wood 1.64) then maybe some kind of solution could be found

also the in-game reset option doesnt seem to work as expected when using slot-1 autoboot with twilight menu. as per https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/twilightmenu/installing-dsi#if-you-dont-have-an-r4i-ultra I start from "Autobooting TWiLight Menu++", so I only put the files for Autoboot and Flashcard loader on the flashcart's micro sd card. I dont have the twilightmenu files on flashcart microsd card, only on dsi sd card. but most of the time on reset it complains that it can't find fat:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/main.srldr even though it's there on the dsi sd card (not on the flashcart microsd card though.) sometimes it works correctly without complaining though so I'm not sure what's up with that

Last edited by 4d1xlaan,

xXFlippyXx

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi there,

i've got a question about using TWMenu running in Kernel Mode with YSMenu

My Device: NDS Light
Flashcart: R4i-SDHC
TWMenu Version: 27.5.0
YSMenu: The Multi Card Pack downloaded from here
SDCard: 4GB sandisk formatted with SD Card Formatter

I've followed this installation Guide from the Wiki to get everything up and running

But some games just won't load when i try to run them with Game Loader: Kernel

If i try to to start, let's say, Pokemon Platinum i get "Rom loading failed", disk errcode=81
Deleting TTMenu.sys and/or Savegames present on the SDCard doesn't seem to do much. The problem persists

If i use YSMenu directly the games work as expected.

It's not all games, The World Ends with You for example runs perfectly fine. Maybe i've stumbled over the wording from the Wiki

• Make sure you have YSMenu.nds (renamed from TTMenu.dat if there isn’t one) and the TTMenu folder on the flashcard microSD root
  • Do not copy TTMenu.dat directly; this will break autobooting and YSMenu’s soft reset

I've copied these:
[YSMenuCollectionRootFolder]\R4i-SDHC YSMenu\TTMenu\
[YSMenuCollectionRootFolder]\R4i-SDHC YSMenu\YSMenu.nds

to sd:/ (SDCardroot)

So my SDCard is looking like this:

_gba\
_nds\
TTMenu\ (From the Multicard Download)
R4.dat
snemul.cfg
TTMenu.dat
TTMENU.SYS
YSMenu.nds (From the Multicard Download)

Can somebody point me into some direction regarding this problem? What does

And what does

• "Do not copy TTMenu.dat directly"

Mean in this case?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there,

i've got a question about using TWMenu running in Kernel Mode with YSMenu

My Device: NDS Light
Flashcart: R4i-SDHC
TWMenu Version: 27.5.0
YSMenu: The Multi Card Pack downloaded from here
SDCard: 4GB sandisk formatted with SD Card Formatter

I've followed this installation Guide from the Wiki to get everything up and running

But some games just won't load when i try to run them with Game Loader: Kernel

If i try to to start, let's say, Pokemon Platinum i get "Rom loading failed", disk errcode=81
Deleting TTMenu.sys and/or Savegames present on the SDCard doesn't seem to do much. The problem persists

If i use YSMenu directly the games work as expected.

It's not all games, The World Ends with You for example runs perfectly fine. Maybe i've stumbled over the wording from the Wiki

I've copied these:
[YSMenuCollectionRootFolder]\R4i-SDHC YSMenu\TTMenu\
[YSMenuCollectionRootFolder]\R4i-SDHC YSMenu\YSMenu.nds

to sd:/ (SDCardroot)

So my SDCard is looking like this:

Can somebody point me into some direction regarding this problem?
The issue may be caused by lack of space on the SD card and/or card fragmentation.
And what does
  • "Do not copy TTMenu.dat directly"
Mean in this case?
It's just saying to not copy over "TTMenu.dat" onto the SD root, in order to avoid overwriting the existing file.

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I converted my ak2i to an r4i ultra, I'm able to access slot-1 microsd contents with just "Slot-1 microSD access" now. but anything I try to run from it just white screens (whether I try to use nds bootstrap or kernel loader)

am I doing something wrong, or is using ak2i in this way unsupported? if unsupported, any idea what makes it not work? I thought the hardware was identical between ak2i and r4i ultra

edit: okay, apparently acekard is supposed to be supported. I dont know why mine wasnt recognized until I flashed the r4i ultra bootloader. I flashed back my original backup and put ntrboot on it for good measure, still no luck

Last edited by 4d1xlaan,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I converted my ak2i to an r4i ultra, I'm able to access slot-1 microsd contents with just "Slot-1 microSD access" now. but anything I try to run from it just white screens (whether I try to use nds bootstrap or kernel loader)

am I doing something wrong, or is using ak2i in this way unsupported? if unsupported, any idea what makes it not work? I thought the hardware was identical between ak2i and r4i ultra

edit: okay, apparently acekard is supposed to be supported. I dont know why mine wasnt recognized until I flashed the r4i ultra bootloader. I flashed back my original backup and put ntrboot on it for good measure, still no luck
Acekard 2(i) just doesn't work for launching games that way, unfortunately. idk why that is.

Reactions: 4d1xlaan

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, so my solution then is to keep the r4i gold 3ds+ in there just for dsi-enhanced games, so I can play them from slot 1. nds bootstrap works with no issues and as far as I can tell, the games I care about work fine from slot 1. the acekard will live in a different ds and hold the non-dsi enhanced games to be played through akaio

I was under the impression that it worked for acekard at least at some point in the past, judging by some github issues I saw. hopefully maybe it works one day and I can migrate everything to just the one cart on the one dsi.

I mean I guess I could also use just the acekard and launch it normally, with twlmenu for homebrew and dsiware, but I care about dsi mode for dsi enhanced games, and playing those from slot 1 instead of sd card works better for me because there isnt slowdown when using wireless functions

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://youtu.be/0tr2o9-KVFI?feature=shared&t=3 +1