ROM Hack  Updated

Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 60 FPS patches

Patches are for:
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    TID: 0100A4301AA0C001 (Launcher TID: 0100A4301AA0C000)
    BID: FA8A6B3A9E27FD33 (version 1.5.0)
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    TID: 010047F01AA10001 (Launcher TID: 010047F01AA10000)
    BID: BAFD3A1CA57EEAA9 (version 1.5.0)
IPS patches are recommended over cheats because they unlock triple buffering, which helps with performance.
Gameplay speed is tied to framerate, so if game doesn't reach 60 FPS gameplay is slowdowned.

To install any of those patches, download zip from attachments for your game, unpack zip and copy "exefs_patches" folder to "atmosphere" folder on Switch sdcard, accepting any popup.
Until I will figure out where game speed is stored, I will not upload patch for FPSLocker Warehouse.

Attachments

• MGS3-60FPS.zip
    445 bytes · Views: 4
  • MGS2-60FPS.zip
    442 bytes · Views: 5
Last edited by masagrator,

recs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thank you!!!

Has anyone checked if the 60 fps fixes the terribly messed up audio mixing in MGS2? If that's the case I might actually do a playthrough on Switch.

Tomi_desertcat

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Thank you!!!

Has anyone checked if the 60 fps fixes the terribly messed up audio mixing in MGS2? If that's the case I might actually do a playthrough on Switch.
unfortunately no this is an fps patch only
Post automatically merged:

Awesome, hopefully 60 FPS on an Erista will be possible
doesn't look very likely the game is only running on 1 cpu core so you need an insane cpu overclock to actually play at the original ps2 framerate

Reactions: sley

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
MGS 2 Tanker ran fine and feels really good indoors
MGS 3 seems to crash when entering the bridge cutscene (the one with the wasp nest where snake smiles)
EDIT: The crash only happens when RAM OC is applied

Last edited by sley,
Reactions: zerokunai

MightySashiman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Tried MGS3 on OLED NS with that 60fps. Runs smooth but there are numerous occasions where the whole game feels like its running in slow motion (snake movements, guards walking like so slowly they look like astronauts on the Moon). Was this kind of slowmotion already an issue with the OG game and hardware? with the switch port without patching?

Imho, having only played MGS1 on OG PS1 back in the days, trying out MGS1, MGS2, and MGS3 on the switch feels like an awful experience: outdated clunky controls, cringy unrefined story and dialogs, graphics haven't aged well either (MGS3 in particular looks like they smudged a wet sponge all over the screen). I don't understand why people value MGS so much, when games like Splinter Cell achieved the "spy infiltration" genre 10-fold better.

Reactions: Wilber_Puyol

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Tried MGS3 on OLED NS with that 60fps. Runs smooth but there are numerous occasions where the whole game feels like its running in slow motion (snake movements, guards walking like so slowly they look like astronauts on the Moon). Was this kind of slowmotion already an issue with the OG game and hardware? with the switch port without patching?

Gameplay speed is tied to framerate, so if game doesn't reach 60 FPS gameplay is slowdowned.
I don't understand why people value MGS so much,
cringy unrefined story and dialogs
^Here is your answer. Many people like cringe Japanese stories, me included. It seems you do not anymore.

Purpeliz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
people like mgs for it's meaning
Imho, having only played MGS1 on OG PS1 back in the days, trying out MGS1, MGS2, and MGS3 on the switch feels like an awful experience: outdated clunky controls, cringy unrefined story and dialogs, graphics haven't aged well either (MGS3 in particular looks like they smudged a wet sponge all over the screen). I don't understand why people value MGS so much, when games like Splinter Cell achieved the "spy infiltration" genre 10-fold better.

sean222

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Performance is abysmal in MGS 2 at prologue, it doesn't properly utilize hardware even when struggling to get 60 FPS.

Bah...I've tried emulating MGS2 on other budget handhelds and every time, it struggled on the first scene when you're in the rain on the ship, I just gave up and figured the device can't handle it.

FINALLY got inside the ship and it was a smooth 60 FPS!!!

Super happy to see it running at 60 FPS, thank you!
Will have to do some tweaking with the CPU/GPU overclock numbers to optimize it so I'm not always at max clocks.

2023103119335600-C993C899FF845A040BB3A84A6E8B8918.jpg

MightySashiman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
42-hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy.gif

If you don't get the joke, use google. :P
Otherwise I don't want here too long discussions about game, so move it elsewhere if you want to point out why this game is this or that.
He gets it :D

Anyway, sorry for going sideways into personal appreciation of the games, it’s indeed kind of out of scope of the thread. Thank you for the patching effort ; it will at least have will given me the opportunity to try these legendary-status games in better conditions than what konami was bothered to produce!

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
:unsure: Kudos to the patch makers out there, but it's really pathetic that these even have to be made by the community, instead of the devs doing their jobs.

zerokunai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I beat mgs2 at 60 fps overlocked to the max on erista hardware. Mgs 3 will crash when entering a new area with overclock. Ngl it’s been pretty annoying to turn off my Overclock to enter a new area. But if this is the only way to play the game at 60 fps on the switch so be it, once again Ty for the mod

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto