DS Emulators

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by JinTrigger, Feb 6, 2011.

Feb 6, 2011

DS Emulators by JinTrigger at 2:02 PM (1,388 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. JinTrigger
    OP

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    Ok So I had to sell my DSi for some cash and I won't be able to get another one (a DS Lite since I will also be getting a 3DS most likely) until I get my tax refund (Thank God I worked for the Census) but that won't be for another 2 -3 weeks and the DS is starting to get a rush (That is my phrase that I like to use when a game system has a bunch of releases I must play) and my PSP is starting to get boring. So what's the best emulator out there. If I am not mistaken it's No$Gba....

2. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Beteween No$GBA and DesMuMe you should be able to play everything, but there is another emulator that's good (and opensource i think).

3. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    NO$GBA is you have a weak computer (needs patches for new games)
    DeSmuME is you have a decent computer (rarely needs patches)
    iDeaS is supposed to be quite good though I've never used it myself.

4. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    iDeaS, pretty good and indeede open source. From my experience it seems to have less compatibility than DesMuMe though.

No$gba hasn't been updated for several years, contrary to the other two.

DesMuMe would probably be the best for you. If you get performance you can fall back to No$GBA as The Pi implied.

5. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    iDeaS has never and probably will never be open source, its DeSmuME thats open source.

6. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    Thanks for correcting my mistake, not sure how I got them mixed up as I know that DeSmuME has a team the size of something highly unlikely to be behind an emulator that would be closed source.

My apologies for mixing up your software with something quite different.

EDIT: Typo.

7. JinTrigger
    OP

United States
    I've used No$GBA before on my old laptop, but now I have a netbook....As long as the games run enough for me to play them I'm good. Currently I'm trying to play SaGa 2, Kingdom Hearts RE:coded, and some other game that I can't think of ( [​IMG] fail )

8. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    DeSmuME is maintained in part by Normmatt (the guy who made AKAIO), so that probably says something about it's compatibility.
    But don't expect it to run well if you have a slow computer. DeSmuME's fairly demanding.

9. JinTrigger
    OP

United States
    I guess DeSmuMe is worth a good and if it doesn't work well then I'll go back to No$GBA

10. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    most games need firmware and BIOS files and choose start with gbabios option to run in nocash. and preferably used with no$zoomer. you can play most games fine. i did. those two games you mentioned works fine with me. no$gba v2.6a+firmware and nds bios files and no$zoomer v2.3.0.2
    and try to change th save type in the no$gba.ini file from Compressed to Raw

DeSmuMe on the other hand is easier to use but as they said requires more power. but it looks better than nocash in some games. so if you have a good computer, better use DeSmuMe. lately i have been encountering problems when i import save files from nocash to DeSmuMe

11. JinTrigger
    OP

United States
    Yeah I wanted to go back to No$gba but its been awhile since I used it and I wasn't sure if it could play the latest games. That's why I made this thread cause I wasn't sure if there was anything else out there better.

12. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    well the only game i had a hard time to play was pokemon b/w. because it wouldn't save. but fixed with a code now. but not by me.