Homebrew Dosbox .conf and .map files collection for Wiiflow

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Does anyone have key ids for gamecube controllers?

Years ago i wrote down ids for wiimote and classic controller pro but never did gamecube ones. If noone have it will have to do it manually again.

EDIT:
Wait, is it even possible to use gamecube gamepad with wii dosbox? Just tried a second ago to map anything by pressing buttons on gamecube controller but dosbox mapper does not seem to recognize the controller at all. It says otherwise on wiibrew page as there is gc controller icon visible.
GC gamepad should work.
Here is a referente chart for control mappings

Reactions: KyleK87

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France
hi, I have a question TETSUO! would you know if you can set any DOS game in DosboxWii??
What happen if i try to put a game which is not it your pack but are DOS games like kryptonEgg, Ricochet-Infinity,Stardust&Superstardust, overkill, nebula fighter,Highway-Hunter, Dynablaster? (for example)
Will they work?

alzen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
GC gamepad should work.
Here is a referente chart for control mappings
Well my friend, I guessed the same.

Now it is obvious to me that gamecube controllers work but only in version that is connected to Wiimote like Nunchuck is. Original GC controllers that are being connected to GC controller ports don't work with Wii dosbox.

Sad but true.

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hi, I have a question TETSUO! would you know if you can set any DOS game in DosboxWii??
What happen if i try to put a game which is not it your pack but are DOS games like kryptonEgg, Ricochet-Infinity,Stardust&Superstardust, overkill, nebula fighter,Highway-Hunter, Dynablaster? (for example)
Will they work?
I'm not familiar with these games, but they all should work. In my experience, any game that was released before 1997 can run with acceptable speed on Dosbox Wii. If they don't run you should make some research on Dosbox forums like Vogons and see if there is a particular setting in the conf file that is required.
When the game is running try to increase/decrease the cpu cycles of slight amounts (50 /100 cycles at a time) until the speed is ok. Then you'll need to create a new mapper for controls.
Hello, would you know @Tetsuo Shima if someone tried to adapt the .conf and .map files here with WiiU retroarch ?

Thx for sharing
Yes, absolutely. WiiU will also have a bit of extra horse power to use, compared to the Wii, so you can slightly increase the cpu cycles and have better performances.

jul16ares

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, absolutely. WiiU will also have a bit of extra horse power to use, compared to the Wii, so you can slightly increase the cpu cycles and have better performances.
So i tried your .conf below .map, but apparently with load core and load content (.conf), where the right path to the game is, the mapper wasn't loaded and .conf too. The dosboxsvn_libretro core precede your conf and map files...
I don't now even to find how to map keyboard to wiiu Gamepad. For PUAE (Amiga), it's okay but there ??

How do you automatically pass the sound card and graphics choices with the wiimote ?

jul16ares

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The retroarch core work
Post automatically merged:

I doubt that dosbox wii, accept overclock then...

Last edited by jul16ares,

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As stated in the OP, this thread is entirely for dosbox Wii, which supports conf and map files. Retroarch dosbox core, even if globally working, cannot launch per-game conf and map files. So it's totally unusable as a plugin. Furthermore, Retroarch dosbox doesn't come with a Dynamic core either, which means poor performance in so many games, compared to the last dosbox-wii.
Last thing, I don't have a wii-u but it was confirmed by other users that dosbox Wii can be slightly faster on the wii-u.
So let's not waste anytime dicussing about it, unless it gets some major update

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The retroarch core work
Post automatically merged:

I doubt that dosbox wii, accept overclock then...
you can overclock dosbox wii just fine, also dosbox wii has dynarec while dosbox retroarch does not, so dosbox wii overclocked works better than native dosbox from wiiu side.

Reactions: jul16ares

alzen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
@Tetsuo Shima - did you try to map any buttons on 2nd Wiimote? From what I figured out only 1st Wiimote is supported and of course gamecube controllers that go into gc controller ports are not supported at all. That's the biggest downside of Wii dosbox version. I wish we have supports to 2 controllers both wiimotes and classic gc ones.

Wanted to play Archon Ultra 2 players on Wii but need to wait until this support is added.

ps. can you help me figure out best performance settings for this game? I used your settings for Commander Keen 4 but it lags a bit, although sound works good.

ps2. not sure is anyone tried it but I much more prefer scaler=normal2x over scaler=none. The game takes more screen space and is not blurred as hell that is the standard with scaler=none. Yet I would like to make game on the whole screen without black border around it at all. anyone aware how this can be achieved?

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@Tetsuo Shima - did you try to map any buttons on 2nd Wiimote? From what I figured out only 1st Wiimote is supported and of course gamecube controllers that go into gc controller ports are not supported at all. That's the biggest downside of Wii dosbox version. I wish we have supports to 2 controllers both wiimotes and classic gc ones.

Wanted to play Archon Ultra 2 players on Wii but need to wait until this support is added.

ps. can you help me figure out best performance settings for this game? I used your settings for Commander Keen 4 but it lags a bit, although sound works good.

ps2. not sure is anyone tried it but I much more prefer scaler=normal2x over scaler=none. The game takes more screen space and is not blurred as hell that is the standard with scaler=none. Yet I would like to make game on the whole screen without black border around it at all. anyone aware how this can be achieved?
Unfortunately I could never manage to map controls for 2nd player, I believe it's not possible on Dosbox Wii.
The Commander Keen 4 .conf only uses cycles=2400, it's a very small value. Try to increase it little by little (by adding 100 cycles at a time) and test. Don't rise them over 7000, the Wii struggles with higher values.
Another option that you can try is using:
core=dynamic
Lastly, be warned that scaler=normal2x will always result in a big performance hit. That's why I strongly suggesto to always use scaler=none

alzen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Lastly, be warned that scaler=normal2x will always result in a big performance hit. That's why I strongly suggesto to always use scaler=none
Is it not possible to set achieve similiar effect by setting desired resolution instead of using original value?

It should cut down performance hit in my opinion but... what resolution shold be set? 🤔

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France
"When the game is running try to increase/decrease the cpu cycles of slight amounts (50 /100 cycles at a time) until the speed is ok. Then you'll need to create a new mapper for controls"
I'm not exactly sure what a mapper is.....Definition: One who creates maps, or game levels, a MAPPER is a database management and processing system, can you be more clear, is it an option in dosbox? Related to keyboard keys?

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The mapper is a .map file which is needed to assign inputs to wiimote or Classic controller. In the .conf file there's a line that specifies the name of the .map file to use.

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is it not possible to set achieve similiar effect by setting desired resolution instead of using original value?

It should cut down performance hit in my opinion but... what resolution shold be set? 🤔
I experimented a little with resolutions, but never managed to change anything.
I just use the settings on my TV to adjust aspect ratio.

Robocop 3

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Robocop 3 banner.png

Time to add another game to my Dosbox Wii collection... This is Robocop 3, also known as Robocop 3D.

DOWNLOAD ROBOCOP 3 PACK FOR WIIFLOW
(Read included instructions. Game not included)

robo 3 car.pngrobocop-3.jpg
Robocop 3 was really ahead of its time (it was 1991): 3D games were already a reality, but for the most part they were simulators or racing games (in fact this game used a modified version of F29 Retaliator's game engine).
I believe this is the first real 3D FPS (complete with mouse look) in history, but correct me if I'm wrong.
I remember at that time, when the game was finally in my hands, I made phone calls to all my friends telling that I had VR at home:rofl2:

robocop-3-07.jpgrobo 3 car 2.png
It may not have aged so well but I love the style (I think Killer 7 took some inspiration here).
This is an underrated game. Not a masterpiece by any means, but as a pioneer 3D action game it worked, it was innovative and better than many other Robocop games of that time. Better than the movie, for sure!

I took a special care to configure this game on DosboxWii to offer, as much as possible, a polished experience and I'm pretty happy with the result. Particular attention has been paid to control mappings, almost like I was working on a Wii port.
Robocop 3 game manual recommends to use Joystick for the Car levels and Mouse for the Shooting levels, so with my configuration it requires both the Classic Controller and the Wiimote to be fully played.
Controls Reference.png

Last edited by Tetsuo Shima,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work