Dosbox .conf and .map files collection for Wiiflow

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Tetsuo Shima, May 27, 2013.

1. Tetsuo Shima
    OP

Tetsuo Shima GBAtemp Fan

Oct 29, 2008
    Italy
    Ok guys, after many weeks of heavy tweaking I am ready to post my collection of .conf and .map files for dosbox-wii.

Purpose: I made this to be able to launch dosbox games with optimized settings, specific for each game (to achieve the best possible performance on the Wii) and with key mappings for Wiimote and (where needed) Classic Controller, so that you won't even need to have an usb keyboard, which would be required otherwise.
    Dosbox goodness for everyone! :lol:

Instructions:
    1 - You will obviously need Wiiflow with the Dosbox-conf plugin. Grab it form Abz's pack.
    2 - You should put .conf and .map files inside usb:/Dosbox folder, and put your games inside usb:/Dosbox/games.
    If you want to use SD change C: to D: at the bottom of each .conf file.

If you want to use different paths, you can change the last lines at the bottom of .conf files and edit dosbox-wii.ini inside 'wiiflow/plugins' accordingly (change romdir path).
    3 - If music or sfx doesn't work make sure to run the games setup in dos and set everything to Soundblaster leaving default values. Some games, like Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 and Ultima 8 need to have IRQ=5.
    4 - To exit the game it's better to avoid using the home button (sometimes it black screens), instead go to the Menu of the game itself and select 'Exit to Dos'.
    You can find full covers in Mastershoes thread - Dosbox section.

Notes: I don't accept requests because this 'work took a very long time, but you are more than welcome to add more games or, if you can, to further improve performances in games that need it, using my work as a base.
    I just worked on a small selection of games that I really loved back in the 'nineties. Most of them run perfectly, with the exception of some very demanding games which have some sound stuttering and frame skipping, but that are fully playable. Many people thought that it was not even possible to play some of them on the Wii, so I'm really proud of what I managed to achieve thus far, at the cost of many headaches (men, I almost lost my mental sanity!:wacko:)

Credits:
    Many, many thanks to the team behind Wiiflow and to Sion_Zaphod who made this plugin!

ALONE IN THE DARK

Warning: Spoilers inside!
    ANOTHER WORLD

BATTLE CHESS

BUSHIDO

DARK FORCES

DECATHLON

DONKEY

EYE OF THE BEHOLDER

EYE OF THE BEHOLDER 2 - THE LEGEND OF DARKMOON
    EYE OF THE BEHOLDER 3 - ASSAULT ON MYTH DRANNOR

FLASHBACK

LEMMINGS

LEMMINGS 2 - THE TRIBES

PRINCE OF PERSIA

PRINCE OF PERSIA 2 - THE SHADOW AND THE FLAME

ULTIMA 7 PART 1 - THE BLACK GATE

ULTIMA 7 PART 2 - SERPENT ISLE

ULTIMA 8 - PAGAN
    ULTIMA UNDERWORLD - THE STYGIAN ABYSS

ULTIMA UNDERWORLD 2 - LABYRINTH OF WORLDS

X-WING

2. Tetsuo Shima
    OP

Tetsuo Shima GBAtemp Fan

Oct 29, 2008
    Italy
    c'mon guys, not a single post? Some feedback would be nice!:unsure:

3. AbdallahTerro

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Jan 14, 2012
    Ideas factory :)
    great post man
    keep it up
    games work great
    I've added the new ones to my old pack, now it has 47 games
    I'll add some windows images too
    way to go
    :yay::yaywii::hrth:
    happy now :)

4. Tetsuo Shima
    OP

Tetsuo Shima GBAtemp Fan

Oct 29, 2008
    Italy
    Glad you enjoyed how the games run, even if with some issues here and there.
    That was a really though mission, expecially with the Ultima games (my favourite RPG serie)
    Now, if only Dosbox-Wii devs could in the future add a dynamic core, all games would get great benefits in performance.

5. mastershoes

mastershoes GameTDB Mod

Jun 25, 2011
    United States
    Great work on this Tetsuo! Gonna check these out for sure, i'm certain that a looot of time went into setting these up. Your efforts are appreciated!!

6. sion_zaphod

sion_zaphod Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc

Sep 4, 2011
    Wales
    Glad you like my confs and maps, the originals that is. If you would like any more I can provide them. Also I've got some games working inside windows 3.11, 95 and 98(not98SE). Windows 95,98 games are where my interest lies now if anyone is interested in helping out.

LastCupOfSorrow likes this.
  7. sion_zaphod

Sep 4, 2011
    Wales
    Also I can help with slowdown issues. Example X-Wing would prob run better if you increased the cycles to 16000, and if that crash's gradually reduce the number in 2000 decrements. I have 11th hour running at 18000 cycles and it is well playable.

8. Tetsuo Shima
    OP

Tetsuo Shima GBAtemp Fan

Oct 29, 2008
    Italy
    I will try that for Xwing, tanks for your help :)

I didn't know anything about compatibility for win95/98 games... do they work well?

9. Wiimpathy

Wiimpathy GBAtemp Fan

Mar 3, 2010
    France
    I'm also curious about win95/98 games considering the resources windows would eat. Perhaps Freecell but else ...

10. sion_zaphod

Sep 4, 2011
    Wales
    Windows 3.11 games seem to work very well. Windows 95/98 take a bit of fiddling with to work but in general work ok. I can get windows 95 to boot on dosbox wii in about 10 - 20 seconds (windows 98 a little longer). Have disabled splash screen and 32bit disc access and it gives me a fast boot. Then a windowsbatch file in my startup autoruns a game and automatically shuts down windows when the game is exited. Takes about 30 seconds to start a windows 95/98 game. I have successfully played Burn Cycle, Start Trek Klingon and Star Trek Borg on my windows dosbox setup. If anyone is willing to help further the compatibility for windows on dosbox drop me a line.

11. alib8818
    This message by alib8818 has been removed from public view by tj_cool, May 30, 2013.
    May 30, 2013
  12. sion_zaphod

Sep 4, 2011
    Wales
    Someone kick this numpty alib8818 out of here!

13. AbdallahTerro

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Jan 14, 2012
    I started experimenting with Dosbox images.
    I'll try to make a working 98se image using many gadgets since installing from within the image is giving lots of errors.
    I already have a working VMware 98SE image that might help me save setup time tremendously, I also found many ready made image files for dosbox that I can quickly edit in imagetools.
    keep you posted, good news hopefully tonight if kids sleep early :)

14. sion_zaphod

Sep 4, 2011
    Wales
    I have many images of win95/98 and a couple of 98se but I think the legality of me uploading them is questionable. I think abz is going to have problems if he's working from vmware images (been there tried that). Also image files that work on the pc version of dosbox often don't work on the wii version. I got se installed using an image of a 98 boot floppy to boot then format/s the HDD image. Used image tools to copy across the windows 98 setup.exe and cab files then boot from HDD image and launch the install but it is buggy as hell.

15. Tetsuo Shima
    OP

Tetsuo Shima GBAtemp Fan

Oct 29, 2008
    Italy
    I tried increasing cycles on X-wing like you said, but it seems that anything beyond 6500 cycles it's simply too much for the wii, the game becomes really sluggish. To be honest, the max number of cycles I could set was 7900 in Ultima 7, and that was done at the cost of audio quality and frames per second, a compromise just to keep the game speed acceptable.
    I was wondering how did you managed to reach a value of 18000 cycles, maybe you changed some other setting as well to be able to do that. Can you please send me your conf file for the 11th Hour, just to take a look? That would be really helpful to me. TIA:)

16. AbdallahTerro

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Jan 14, 2012
    premade win98SE+daemon 3.47 was copied to new 2GB dosbox img by mounting both the vmware and dosbox images as separate drives
    then Sys command was used to transfer the system files from win98se boot floppy to new dosbox img
    though the image booted fine I always get an "explorer.exe" error due to a dll file and problems related to what VGA card I select in the conf file.
    I tried googling my error but it seems no one reported it yet.
    I'm stuck, but I believe your copying of Win98SE to img file and running setup from there will also give problems during file copying related to temporary file location, tried it twice and didn't work for me.
    Maybe it's the 98se ISO that I have that is not liking the Dosbox or maybe you tried older revisions of dosbox
    Any ideas?

17. sion_zaphod

Sep 4, 2011
    Wales
    I seem to remember having Major issues with the graphics setup on 98 too. I think I had to find a particular graphics driver for 98 (I will find out for you). Also installing windows 98se in dosbox is not where the major problems start. To get daemon tools installed you need to install a USB supplement driver, windows installer 2 - 2.5, and also IE6. Daemon needs some files installed by IE installer. any of those installs could cause huge problems. I've got as far as having everything installed except IE. Then as soon as I install IE and reboot the image, windows is F**ked and you have a F**ked image file. I've spent hours and hours trying to get a win98se with daemon tools on dosbox and I think I've set you an impossible task Abz. Don't give up yet though there is loads of info to be found on VOGONS to do with dosbox and windows. Try searching for daemon tools on win98 dosbox setup. There are also major issues with any other virtual cdrom programs in dosbox windows.

18. sion_zaphod

Sep 4, 2011
    Wales
    Have you tried formatting the image using a windows 98 boot floppy image.

imgmount 1 c.img -t nofs
    imgmount a win98boot.img -t floppy

boot -l a
    "then fdisc from the prompt then sys c:"
    copy cab files using poweriso to image file then boot off the hd image and run installer?

Also you could try formatting with a freedos boot floppy image.

Just checked my conf file for windows98 and my graphics is set to svga_s3 which I think is the default. You need to use an s3 driver on your windows 98 image install. There may be another alternative by editing the dosbox conf file to correspond to the graphics driver you installed on your windows 98.

I am using the ykhwong's dosbox svn daum build for pc. Do a google on it.

AbdallahTerro likes this.
  19. AbdallahTerro

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Jan 14, 2012
    Thanks for the info sion I'll try if ykhwong's dosbox can solve my issue :)
    btw I tried everything you mentioned too

20. sion_zaphod

Sep 4, 2011
    Wales
    @Tetsuo Shima

Here is my 11th hour conf sorry for the late response I got carried away with something else

21. AbdallahTerro

AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Jan 14, 2012
    good news :)
    ykhwong's dosbox was the only missing link
    now I have 98SE with Daemon working fine using a 2GB image
    If you want step by step guide I'll gladly post it here

P.S. I can make same stuff using a 256MB img file if you're interested