Doom 64 EX port

Doom 64 EX is a reverse-engineering project aimed to recreate Doom64 as close as possible with additional modding features.

Github repo: /fgsfdsfgs/Doom64EX
Latest version: 0.2.0 (Oct 23, 2019)
Download link
https://github.com/fgsfdsfgs/Doom64EX/releases/tag/v0.1.0-nx
2018100817172200-DA63280140B1530CD17755515D814CFE.jpg

2018100817171500-DA63280140B1530CD17755515D814CFE.jpg

2018100817173000-DA63280140B1530CD17755515D814CFE.jpg

Features:
  • hardware accelerated rendering;
  • sound and music;
  • analog controls;
  • all other features of Doom 64 EX probably work (except network games).

To install and run the game, follow these steps:
  1. Obtain a Doom 64 ROM in either n64, z64 or v64 format. I think region and version do not matter, as long as the ROM is unmodified.
  2. Extract the wadgen folder from doom64ex_nx_v010.zip to somewhere on your PC.
  3. Run wadgen/WadGen.exe and point it to your Doom 64 ROM. This should generate two files inside the wadgen folder: DOOM64.WAD and DOOMSND.SF2.
  4. Extract the switch folder from doom64ex_nx_v010.zip to the root of your SD card.
  5. Copy DOOM64.WAD and DOOMSND.SF2 you got in step 3 to /switch/doom64ex/ on your SD card.
If you already have Doom 64 EX installed on your PC or something, you can just do steps 4 and 5 right away, using the files from your existing installation.

Some notes:
  • sometimes the music skips a little bit and/or channels go out of sync for a moment, this is most noticeable in the intro;
  • as usual, if you have exFAT, better quit the game using the "Quit Game" option in the menu instead of just killing hbmenu;
  • I have only tested this on a US v1.1 Z64 ROM, not sure if every ROM out there works, but most should.

Credits:
  • Samuel Villarreal (svkaiser) and others for Doom 64 EX;
  • fincs, Armada651, Subv and probably others for their work on the OpenGL/mesa/libdrm stuff;
  • Midway Games and Nintendo for Doom 64;
  • id Software for Doom.

Attachments

• doom64ex_nx_v010.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 206
Last edited by fgsfds,
D

Deleted User

I was watching the github repo like a hawk and somehow missed the release! Definitely gonna try this out in a few minutes.

Edit: works pretty much flawlessly from what I've played

Last edited by ,

radicalwookie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have stated numerous times previously that Xash is definitely on my to-do list, but there is at least one major obstacle to porting it that would require actually thinking about a solution, which is why I've been putting it off.
Sorry I wasnt aware of the other times you stated that. Whats the obstacle thats preventing you to port if I may ask?

fgsfds

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Sorry I wasnt aware of the other times you stated that. Whats the obstacle thats preventing you to port if I may ask?

Lack of dynamic linking/shared library support in the devkitA64/libnx toolchain.
Basically, in games that run on the GoldSrc engine (or Xash3D) game logic is separated from the engine code into a shared library (i.e. a DLL). This allows for mods that change the game logic substantially.
While this is also the case for Quake 2 and Doom 3, it's not as easy to modify Xash/GoldSrc and the game libraries to allow compiling them into the NRO like I did with Q2 and D3. There are also other problems with this approach, for example, you'd have to have a separate NRO for each mod/game you wanted to run with Xash.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Holy shit!
I gotta keep a eye out for everything you do, fgsfds, you just make dreams come true! XD
With all of the ports you've been doing lately, I will be able to experience the Holy Trinity of FPS games on my Switch!
Everything from Quake to Doom, damn I love those games and I'll be thrilled to play them again on the Switch thanks to you!

Reactions: Billy Acuña

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With GZDoom ported you can play Brutal Doom, Brutal Doom 64 and Brutal Wolfenstein :)

I know, just figured I'd throw it out there.

Is there a way to add local multiplayer to the game, though? It'd be awesome to play it with friends on the same screen if the Switch can handle it without the weirdness that is trying to configure controllers and all that on Steam!

Gyro aiming support would be awesome as well!

phreaksho

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
forgive me if this sounds like i am about to bite the hand that feeds but, if you could get a gzdoom port on the switch, i don't think there would be much more you could do in terms of porting doom. you already exceeded all of my expectations though so Thanks again. :bow:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over